Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #1

2016 212QBW outdoor shower problem

We took our first trip this week to the beautiful Little Red River in Arkansas with our new camper. As with anything new, I dreadfully waited for the first issue to arise. Near the end of our trip, I was pleasantly surprised that the only issue I found was with the outdoor shower. Now I am a fairly simple man, but even without a engineering degree, I know that the design of the outdoor shower is faulty. I believe good intentions were on their minds, but here is the problem....the black hose is affixed at the top of the fixture head and is designed to push and pull the hose into the trailer without having to wind it inside the small box. The 90 degree turn at the top of the fixture head just kinks the hose to the point it does not allow water flow to the shower head. I don't know, but I imagine everyone is having the same problem that has a 2016 212QBW. I was hoping that someone has developed a remedy without taking the camper back to the dealer. I am fairly good at fixing small things and would rather do it myself. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Other than this one issue, this camper was a pleasure to pull and camp in. I could recommend it to anyone! Thanks for any advise.
C Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Let me make sure I understand. On mine, the hose comes straight off the top of the valves and goes straight up thru a hole and then loops back down thru a hole over to the left side of the first hole (and then I wrap it around the valves, I never tried to stuff it back up the hole). I've seen others that didn't have the holes up top, they had a 90 degree fitting on top of the valves and immediately sent the hose off to the left to be wrapped around the valves. So what is yours like and what is it doing? Can you take a pic?

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

Here it is. As you can, there is no 90 degree elbow at the top where the hose is connected. There is not enough room inside the hole for it make the bend without kinking. Looks like it needs a hard plastic elbow, then attach the hose.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #4

Well heck, its not posting the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #5

Wow, that's how mine is setup but mine has enough room up top to not kink the hose.
It just goes up and over the the left and back down again.
But I don't seem to have room to stuff the hose inside the trailer either so mine gets wrapped around the faucet. If you undo that hose at the top of the faucet, can you stick your finger or something up there to compress what I assume is insulation enough to unkink the hose? You could remove the screws and pull the whole thing out. Or as you were saying, get a 1/2 inch 90 degree but I think that's going to keep the hose inside the box so you would have to wrap it like I do.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #6

Same here

Looks like they should've put the shelf on the top of shelf braces, my thoughts . I drilled 2 holes one in and one out for the hose, looks ugly inside the shelf by toilet , but towels cover it . I roll the hose up inside box and I take the shower head off when not camping. Wife NOT happy with me for doing that.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

Pull the hose out as far as you can and route the hose stright up then a small bend to the left. The hose should not be behinde the box.
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

Whatever it is at the top of the hole is not insulation. It's some type of hard white material. Like someone said, I may have to drill it out and route it through the shelf in the bathroom. If it didn't kink, it would have been a great idea to be able to push it back into the trailer for storage. My wife probably wouldn't like anything unsightly in the towel cabinet either, I may also put a elbow fitting toward the front and just unhook the shower head until needed. I just thought it was interesting that this was not caught at the factory... Makes a man wonder a little bit, but as I stated earlier, overall I have no complaints about the performance of the camper. I have read many horrible issues with a lot more expensive trailers than mine. In that respect, I am very happy with my Jayco product. I have a new Tahoe in the shop at this moment that is leaking water inside. It was the small Onstar fin-type antenna leaking. Yep, it happens!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #9

Turn the fixture upside down - discharge facing down instead of up

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 PM   #10

I don't believe there will be any more room if I turn the fixture upside down than there is at the top.
I'm going to do some more looking and thinking on this, but right now in the heart of Arkansas Rice Country is not the time to do it... Mosquitos are BAD here at the moment! Thanks Guys for your input... It's good to know there are others that sit around at night thinking of things to McGyver on their camper. I told my wife that I wasn't weird.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #11

I have found the outdoor showers pretty weak and lack luster anyway. Consider this; I went to a local hardware store and purchased fittings which enabled me to take off the shower head (handle) and fix a standard hose fitting to the end. I then put a quick release fitting on that. Now I can hook up a standard garden hose spray nozzle or in the case of filleting fish, I can set a table up away from the TT, and fillet and rinse off the fish.
Or if I ever go to a full hook up campground and I feel the need to wash my truck (or the trailer)....
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Or if I ever go to a full hook up campground and I feel the need to wash my truck (or the trailer)....
That's a no-no here in Indiana. I suppose there are some private campgrounds where you can wash the rv/truck but not in the site.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #13

NVGUN40, I really like that idea! Sounds like a fairly easy thing to do too. I'm like you in really not seeing a use for a shower head outside when I could hook a water hose and maybe a regular spray nozzle to to it. That would be much more useful to me. Again, thanks for each of your responses to this thread. I'm sure I will have more questions, because I have a fairly large imagination and love to tinker with things even if they aren't broken...
Old 08-16-2016, 09:33 PM   #14

On our out door shower the hose simply goes up turns left and comes back down and out then the hose is wraped around the faucet.thanks for calling me weird.
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #15

Believe me, in my world "weird" is not a derogatory word!
Old 08-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Holt View Post
NVGUN40, I really like that idea! Sounds like a fairly easy thing to do too. I'm like you in really not seeing a use for a shower head outside when I could hook a water hose and maybe a regular spray nozzle to to it. That would be much more useful to me. Again, thanks for each of your responses to this thread. I'm sure I will have more questions, because I have a fairly large imagination and love to tinker with things even if they aren't broken...
You're welcome.
Here are a couple of pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Outdoor nozzle 1.jpg   Outdoor nozzle 2.jpg  
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #17

Good stuff Man. Thanks for the idea. You should send this to Jayco. I'm thinking they could use this. Much more useful, and can still serve the intended purpose.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #18

Te" you see through the top hole in the outside shower cabinet is the shelf under the sink and beside the toilet. Jayco should have noticed this problem and corrected it when building the first 212. There is another outside shower that had the discharge between the hot/cold knobs and faces outward. The compartment door might still be an issue with this one. The mod I did still drips slightly, but does not get into the trailer.
firerescue712 is offline   Reply With Quote