Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #1

2016 23RLSW Water heater

(I'm posting from my phone, I hope this is not a duplicate, if so please delete it. I seemed to have been logged out before the first post was submitted.)

Good morning,

We are dry camping and DW wanted to heat some water. She accidentally flipped on the elec switch. When we realized we did not hear the familiar noise of the gas burning, I check and noticed the wrong switch was on. I shut off the elec and turned on the gas switch.

Again there was no noise. I checked the heater outside and could see the flame, but o presume a fan should have been blowing, and there was no fan running. Or of it all based on gas pressure, there was very little pressure. The propane tank is nearly full.

What could be wrong? Did flipping the switches one after the other cause any issue? Is there a fuse I need to check?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Ron
rjmotyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

If its a standard Atwood style 6 gal or so heater, they don't have a fan. The flame heats a long tube that runs through the water tank. If you open the hot water heater door with it on you should see a roughly 4-6" blue flame blowing towards the inside of the RV into this metal tube...maybe 4" in diameter...thats all there is. No fan that I know of.
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

It sounds like there’s a blockage in your gas tube. Possibly from insects. Also check for any blockage in the flue. The manual will walk you through some of the items.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote