Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

2016 27BHS on Order!

Well after researching for almost 3 years we finally decided to pull the trigger at the RV Show yesterday. I knew what was a good price after receiving quotes from RV Direct and checking around the net. I must say, for the money Jayco was the only brand that I felt comfortable with. The quality with some manufacturing companies is very sad. Even at the show they were some models with obvious poor craftsmanship, bathtubs with wavy sidewalls that would obviously leak, threading coming off furniture and bunk bedding, I could go on and on. Not that Jayco is perfect, but compared to walking through the rest our choice was rather easy.

This unit should be great for our family of four!

I wanted to get some input, I added the Elite package, upgraded 15k AC, 50 amp service,and the hide-a-bed. This is our first travel trailer and I am wondering if it is worth it to purchase the thermal package. We will not be camping in cold weather at all, but will the enclosed underbelly help keep critters out, mice specifically? That was my main reason for possibly getting it. I still have time to modify order so I wanted to get some input.
borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!

my recommendation is to go with the thermal package. While you won't necessarily be camping in cold weather, it still helps on those cool late spring/early fall days when the temperatures drop.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

Thank you! What is a good price from the dealer on the Thermal Package, 450.00?
Old 01-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Thank you! What is a good price from the dealer on the Thermal Package, 450.00?
You should get the same % discount to MSRP on any factory added options that you did on your original quote.

Not sure if the thermal package would keep mice out, I do not have the enclosed underbelly but have never had a mouse problem, and I live next to a field and have had them in the house. If I had the option today however I would get the thermal pkg as we tend to camp in some cold weather.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome to JOF.

We ordered the Thermal package, 30 amp, and the 13,500 BTU AC (and other stuff) for our 2015 27RLS. We picked the Thermal package to help trailer temps for either heating or cooling.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #6

Thank you crabman. For some reason it seems like the dealer is trying to steer me away from it saying it's overkill and if they have to work on anything they have to drop the underbelly. He also said mice may be drawn to the enclosure and if they get in there I would have a very hard time extracting them. Not sure about all that, but appreciate all the suggestions and insight.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninblue View Post
Thank you crabman. For some reason it seems like the dealer is trying to steer me away from it saying it's overkill and if they have to work on anything they have to drop the underbelly. He also said mice may be drawn to the enclosure and if they get in there I would have a very hard time extracting them. Not sure about all that, but appreciate all the suggestions and insight.
He is correct in that access to anything under the trailer such as tanks, plumbing, etc. is much easier without the enclosed underbelly. I can see what`s going on with all my tanks. There are pluses and minuses both ways. I have camped down to 22* and been warm and comfy but if I went for an extended time tank and plumbing freezing would be a concern.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:06 PM   #8

Being new to the travel trailer game, what are the advantages of "seeing" what's going on with the tanks? Such as leaks? I don't see myself sleeping in it below 30 degrees. Some early and late spring fishing trips at most.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Team

I know many with mice problems who have enclosed underbellies. As you know mice can get in a opening smaller than their body. I have it and like it for many reasons. #1 is it keep mud and road dust from getting under the rig. IMO it is worth the chance that the whole under belly will have to be removed. My friends with mouse problems say they come into the camper looking for what ever they eat or sleep. I have been into mine several times in 5 years and it is not a problem to access things and lots nicer when it is clean.

Some small holes can be ID'd and stuffed with something to repel the little ****'s.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 PM   #10

First of all, congrats on the new rig!!

As oldmanAZ mentioned, the thermal package is also helpful in hot weather by keeping the cool air in and the hot air out. My incoming rig won't be used in freezing weather, but it will be used in the blazing hot summer. For this reason I chose to add the thermal package
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #11

I also have a Jayco with the thermal package and have been very pleased with its cold weather performance as well as the benefit of keeping the underside tanks and electrical clean of road grime
Jon 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:18 AM   #12

Congrats and welcome to JF.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 AM   #13

Loving this forum, thank you all! So for those of you with the thermal package, is it easier to seal up the trailer to prevent mice? Will I need to spray foam where the underbelly meats the trailer or is everything sealed up nicely under there?