Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2023, 06:21 AM   #1

2016 Jay Flight Elite 28RLS AC Question

It's the newbie again, I do have a specific question on the AC. Not sure which unit I have and welcome info on how to find out. But mine has the controls mounted on the ceiling vent / blower. Seems the control for setting the cooling temp is just a red/blue dial, not actual temp.

Even on full AC, with it dialed to all blue it does blow very cold air but not enough volume to cool the camper in the heat of SW Florida. It does an ok job, but not great by any means. I noticed that it will tend to cycle the compressor when I would think it would be staying on to cool more. As if it thinks it has reached the temp on that red/blue "thermostat".

Does anyone have any experience with this unit and could share some wisdom?

Thanks
jim
jimmyp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 06:27 AM   #2

Do you have the fan on high? The cycling could be do to ice building up on the coil which can happen in high humidity, there is a freeze sensor that will shut the compressor off if that occurs. If only 1 a/c it may not be enough for the FL heat and humidity.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:32 AM   #3

The Fan settings seems to be controlled with the AC. So this has, High AC, Low AC, Fan High, Fan Low, Heat.

So on High AC the fan just runs high. It seems the compressor, cycles as if it hits the temp that thermostat is looking for. Not sure what air its reading. I did pull the cover inside and its very clean. I was going to pull the cover off the outside unit and make sure all was well there today.

It is just a single unit. I didn't know if a single should cool a 28 foot or not?

jim
Old 04-02-2023, 07:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp11 View Post
It is just a single unit. I didn't know if a single should cool a 28 foot or not?
I just looked at the specs and it shows that it came with a 13,500 a/c as standard. If that is the case it will definitely struggle to cool in FL.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:19 AM   #5

I'm sure it is whatever came standard. I think after looking adding a second would be an event. There is no skylight in the bedroom which is what I see could be used for a second assuming roof bracing is in place, but this has no skylight.

Guess the only other option is one of those vertical portable units and figure out a creative way to vent it.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:01 AM   #6

Assuming the controls are on the unit itself means there are no ducting just a main dump? If ducting then you can install the RVAirFLow insert and that will help a ton. If its not ducted then I would remove the cover and try and seal up the plenum as best you can. My main problem was the divider between the blower and return air side. It allowed the cold air to be sucked up in the return side and that was causing mine to cycle and the coils to freeze. Once I installed the RVAirFlow insert I haven't had that problem again and I'm in south Georgia.
ChrisLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:35 AM   #7

You are spot on . . .That was yesterday's project I took it off and sealed the plenum and that divider between room air in and cold air out.

Made a HUGE difference. I wish all those on the threads complaining about the A/C would take a look at that. Sealing up that plenum helps a lot. Its just not done well and over time that divider gets askew and you loose 20% right up the air intake.

Thanks!
jim
Old 04-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp11 View Post
You are spot on . . .That was yesterday's project I took it off and sealed the plenum and that divider between room air in and cold air out.

Made a HUGE difference. I wish all those on the threads complaining about the A/C would take a look at that. Sealing up that plenum helps a lot. Its just not done well and over time that divider gets askew and you loose 20% right up the air intake.

Thanks!
jim
Where in Port Charlotte are you Jim? My wife winters at Harbor Lakes (I'm still a working stiff, so I'm primarily transport, lol)
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:55 AM   #9

Off of Edgewater and Collinswood area.

jim