Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

Angry 2016 Jayflight 27RLS - Nothing but trouble

Purchased a 2016 JayFlight from the local dealer and I can't believe the issues straight from the factory. Water leak in roof and in shower pan, screws coming out everywhere, vents for AC not connected, breaks locking up as ball bearing not greased when installed, flashing falling off, among many other issues.

I am a lifelong RV'er (parents with me and now I with my family), the RV is stored inside in a shop for weather protection. The whole thing has been nothing but trouble and we're very disappointed. The reason I went with Jayco is reading positive reviews from this site and they simply had the floorplan we preferred.

Has anyone else had issues like this with a 2016 JayFlight?

Thanks...
DTryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

Other then a few minor inconveniences I have had nothing but pleasure from my 2016 BHBE.

I was able to correct all the issues which consisted mostly of loose things and an electrical junction box mounted in a very poor location.

We have towed her nearly 2,000 miles since June.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #3

Wish I could say the same with my 2015 28BHBE. We had tons of problems when we first bought it, especially with the slide. The good news is that the dealer took care of all of the issues, even though we brought it in 4 times during the same year.

We have had no issues with the trailer this year, so I attribute our initial problems to quality control failures at the Jayco factory. Our dealer, Sicard RV in Ontario, I have no complaints about since they repaired everything promptly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Other then a few minor inconveniences I have had nothing but pleasure from my 2016 BHBE.

I was able to correct all the issues which consisted mostly of loose things and an electrical junction box mounted in a very poor location.

We have towed her nearly 2,000 miles since June.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Bought my 2015 new in Nov, 2015.
I found another leak on another hatch door. Hosed down the trailer and found it was missing a 2" strip of the sealant.
Drove to dealer w/o trailer and explained and showed picture to them thinking they might give me a tube of sealant since it was easier for me than towing the trailer in.

Service lady told me I still needed to do maintenance despite it being under warranty and if I didn't they could deny my warranty.
Sold me a tube of dicor for $15 and I fixed it myself.

By my 3rd or 4th leak, I'm used to it. Like most of the defects they are small and easier for me to fix myself.
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTryan View Post
Purchased a 2016 JayFlight from the local dealer and I can't believe the issues straight from the factory. Water leak in roof and in shower pan, screws coming out everywhere, vents for AC not connected, breaks locking up as ball bearing not greased when installed, flashing falling off, among many other issues.

I am a lifelong RV'er (parents with me and now I with my family), the RV is stored inside in a shop for weather protection. The whole thing has been nothing but trouble and we're very disappointed. The reason I went with Jayco is reading positive reviews from this site and they simply had the floorplan we preferred.

Has anyone else had issues like this with a 2016 JayFlight?

Thanks...
I have had a few items that either I or Jayco has addressed.

I had the front panel on my '15 27RLS start to delaminate this summer, in the heat. Jayco authorized a private repair place near my home to repair it and shipped a new panel directly to them.

Bathroom door's short wall was not quite strait, making the bathroom door always want to pop open. I trimmed the door down myself.

Seal across the top (inside) of my slide keeps slipping out. I will take it into the dealership for repair at the end of this season. For now, I just check it and put it back in place when I extend the slide.

That is about it.

The overall quality of the trailer is not real high. After all, as someone else said, it is mostly luan and styrofoam. However, I could not find anything better in the same price range.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Seal across the top (inside) of my slide keeps slipping out. I will take it into the dealership for repair at the end of this season. For now, I just check it and put it back in place when I extend the slide.
There should normally be a bead of silicone across the top of the slide seal to prevent movement and water intrusion.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
There should normally be a bead of silicone across the top of the slide seal to prevent movement and water intrusion.
On my trailer the seal is actually a two piece design. It allows you to replace the seal portion, which is nice. But, the part mounted to the trailer is not strait and allows the seal to fall out. I suspect I may not be the only one with this issue, but then, most people do not look over the top of their slide.
Below is a side view of my seal. As you can see, the bulb actually "clips" into the part of the seal that is mounted to the trailer header.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

If it were mine I would add a bead of silicone to the top edge where the seal meets the trailer header. Easy enough to remove and prevents water from seeping in.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #9

We have a 2016 Jay Flight 27RLS. We have almost 2,000 miles on it in ten trips and four driveway uses and all is well. We reinforced the dinette seats and the bed frame just from reading things on the forum other than that all is well so far.
ryounglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

I have a 2012 Jayco Jayflight 29 RLDS that i bought new in 2012. I'm glad it came with a 2 year warranty because almost every time I took it out something went wrong. Then to top it off the dealer usually had it for a month. Lots of the repairs were small things but I had to wait my turn the dealer said. When I bought it there he said since I bought it there I wouldn't have to wait long for repairs, boy I wonder how long I would have had to wait if I bought it somewhere else.
The end trim pieces of my slide (looks like press wood) fell apart, pantry door was warped, carpet edging came off slide wasn't lined up properly, shower knob was striped, left wheel was throwing grease all over the wheel, just to name a few.

My next trailer will be a Forest River

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #11

I've got a 2016 24 rbs that springs a water leak from a different spot everytime we take it out. Also the refrigerator and freezer are about useless. Other than that she's a peach. I have zero faith in the service dept at my dealer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
doo800XRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I have a 2012 Jayco Jayflight 29 RLDS that i bought new in 2012. I'm glad it came with a 2 year warranty because almost every time I took it out something went wrong. Then to top it off the dealer usually had it for a month. Lots of the repairs were small things but I had to wait my turn the dealer said. When I bought it there he said since I bought it there I wouldn't have to wait long for repairs, boy I wonder how long I would have had to wait if I bought it somewhere else.
The end trim pieces of my slide (looks like press wood) fell apart, pantry door was warped, carpet edging came off slide wasn't lined up properly, shower knob was striped, left wheel was throwing grease all over the wheel, just to name a few.

My next trailer will be a Forest River
I wouldn't say that too loud Might be posting the same issues or more on their forum, which I'm still on. Been there done that. In reality, they all pretty much suck. Just gotta pick the best bang for the buck at the time and be willing to fix the issues. I've got quite the stories on FR and Tiffin having had both. My 28BHBE has actually been one of the better ones of the 8 we have owned, but it didn't come without a few issues here and there. My thread http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hbe-30052.html covers a few. Most of that though, is just getting things up to my standards. I've only had a few problem free rigs, and they weren't FR or Jayco. Matter a fact, they don't make them any more.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #13

My last TT was a Forest River, and it was OK. I honestly believe the new White Hawk is a better-built trailer. I worked on the FR Surveyor a lot. I'll work on the White Hawk a lot. I hope to work on the White Hawk a lot................... less.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I wouldn't say that too loud Might be posting the same issues or more on their forum, which I'm still on. Been there done that. In reality, they all pretty much suck. Just gotta pick the best bang for the buck at the time and be willing to fix the issues. I've got quite the stories on FR and Tiffin having had both. My 28BHBE has actually been one of the better ones of the 8 we have owned, but it didn't come without a few issues here and there. My thread http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...hbe-30052.html covers a few. Most of that though, is just getting things up to my standards. I've only had a few problem free rigs, and they weren't FR or Jayco. Matter a fact, they don't make them any more.
^^ This is a fact.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #15

Have a 2016 Jayco 28 BHBE. My Coleman mach Air Conditioner went out after 12 times of using it, It had to be completely replaced. Compressor failed. Hope this isn't a sign of more to come.
Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #16

Nah. Coleman is the more reliable unit, believe me. Ask me or any dealer how many late model dometics (the smaller units with square t-stat) have been constantly repaired or replaced. I have my own history with them on a few Riga and will not own a Dometic AC, at least now with the 3 wire T-stats and junk control box.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
Have a 2016 Jayco 28 BHBE. My Coleman mach Air Conditioner went out after 12 times of using it, It had to be completely replaced. Compressor failed. Hope this isn't a sign of more to come.

But that AC was manufactured for Coleman, and Jayco just purchased the best bang for the buck... for all of us.

It's not fair to ding Jayco for the failures of a supplier.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #18

I don't agree, the whole idea behind brand reputation is that they take responsibility for the whole product. With that in mind, the Coleman units are relatively robust from my understanding but bound to have failures here and there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
But that AC was manufactured for Coleman, and Jayco just purchased the best bang for the buck... for all of us.

It's not fair to ding Jayco for the failures of a supplier.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote