Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #21

currently a minimum of 3 adults (one larger) and 4 kids ranging in ages from 6 to 11

OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 PM   #22

I am really happy to see honest answers from those who have / do tow with similar trucks. All to often you hear yep no problem but that is not reality. I agree with all who said too much trailer for the truck... Doesn't matter if you are an occasional camper or not... If your not happy with trailers that suit the truck than you need a bigger truck. It's smart that your researching before u buy...

SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #23

Could be tough in the smaller unit. I can see why the 28 or 29 are so appealing. We were sort of in the same shoes as you. Our tow vehicle was underrated for what we really wanted in an RV. We wound up selling our tow vehicle and purchasing a new one for the same monthly payment. Not sure if that fits your circumstances.

I'd avoid over-towing though. It can be somewhat uncomfortable at times with a vehicle that is properly spec'd for the trailer. An overburdened vehicle would be more than uncomfortable.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I can tell you right now, those numbers are too low. Figure 12-15% tongue weight for a comfortable tow. The dry tongue weight is 12% of the dry trailer weight. I would bet you that your tongue weight will be very close to what DocBrown suggested. Its amazing how many things you take with you on trips... bikes, firewood, water, groceries, clothing, bedding, television, games, etc etc.
We just had a looooooong discussion about this exact issue in this thread,

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ght-29424.html

myself and several other owners of 28BHBEs who have gone to weigh scales to measure tongue weights. The results are that my base model 28BHBE seems to be on the low side at 800#, CamperBob is at 1000#, and NorthernJay is the heavyweight at 1200#. Note that NorthernJay has the Elite package and tows with fresh water tanks full (600+lb slightly in front of the axles).

As you can compute from Jayco's dry weights for the trailer, it is design for a 10% tongue weight. I have my WDH adjusted properly, which my dealer botched-up initially, and I am running with at least 11% tongue weight. Note that the largest storage area in the 28BHBE is under the queen bed in the front of the trailer, so it is easy to front-load and increase the tongue load substantially.

With all of that being said, I tow mine safely with a 2015 Sierra 1500 with a 1750lb payload and 9400lb tow rating. I mainly tow in Ontario and upstate New York, so there are hills but no mountains. I pull the trailer fine at 60mph (but never faster), but you do feel cross winds and I did switch to LT tires because the weak sidewalls on the P tires from the factory (why do they sell trucks with them?!).
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #25

if we were in a position to upgrade tow vehicle things would be different. we just bought a 2013 Ford 150 Super Crew 4x4 last year brand new. it was January 2014 and we bought one of the last 2013 units. We sprung for the 10 year bumper to bumper warranty and all service and maintenance coverage as well. we don't have to pay a penny for anything on the truck - we planned it to last us 10 years at least or longer. The idea of getting rid of it, after we have put so much into it is not appealing. we even have the loan set so it is paid of in 3 more years. If we had known about this last year, we'd have made a different decision on our tow vehicle, but nothing we can do about it now.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:42 PM   #26

Yep. Totally get it. We bought a 2014 F-150 2 months before the 2016 came out. Needless to say, we got a great deal on it. Bought the 7-year bumper-to-bumper. We thought the car we bought in 2012 was going to last forever. Between some serious warranty issues (close to $8500 against our extended warranty in the last year alone) and wanting to tow more than 5500 lbs, we knew the old car--which wasn't that old!!!--had to go.

Best of luck whatever you all decide.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #27

2016 Jayflight 28 BHBE Elite - towing with an F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
We just had a looooooong discussion about this exact issue in this thread,

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ght-29424.html

myself and several other owners of 28BHBEs who have gone to weigh scales to measure tongue weights. The results are that my base model 28BHBE seems to be on the low side at 800#, CamperBob is at 1000#, and NorthernJay is the heavyweight at 1200#. Note that NorthernJay has the Elite package and tows with fresh water tanks full (600+lb slightly in front of the axles).

As you can compute from Jayco's dry weights for the trailer, it is design for a 10% tongue weight. I have my WDH adjusted properly, which my dealer botched-up initially, and I am running with at least 11% tongue weight. Note that the largest storage area in the 28BHBE is under the queen bed in the front of the trailer, so it is easy to front-load and increase the tongue load substantially.

With all of that being said, I tow mine safely with a 2015 Sierra 1500 with a 1750lb payload and 9400lb tow rating. I mainly tow in Ontario and upstate New York, so there are hills but no mountains. I pull the trailer fine at 60mph (but never faster), but you do feel cross winds and I did switch to LT tires because the weak sidewalls on the P tires from the factory (why do they sell trucks with them?!).

Yep this was "discussed" on another thread. Can it do it? Yes. Should it? Probably not the best idea in the long term. I can drive nails with a 2x4 in a pinch but prefer a hammer...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 02:33 AM   #28

We tow a 5500# loaded Jayco with a 771# tongue weight with our F-150 SCrew with the MaxTow option. We are close to our rear GAWR and our payload (which is about the same as yours). MaxTow gives us an 11,200 pound tow capacity and I believe a higher GAWR as well; our rear GAWR is 4050#.

If the dry weight of your trailer is 6800 pounds, it's likely to be over your towing limit once loaded. And with a bare minimum of 10% tongue weight, you will match our tongue weight which then with people and gear, can quickly put you over your rear axle rating and potentially GVWR.

What is your rear GAWR? And how many people are you carrying? Total weight of those people? Wanting to carry anything in the bed of the truck?

And ignore what Jayco has for dry tongue weight. It's a crock. Our trailer says 365# on the web site. We're at 771# when towing. Nowhere close you see. To tow safely, you need a minimum of 10% tongue weight. Going higher typically makes for a better tow experience.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #29

I thought we had to go lower on the tongue weight to preserve payload? then again how much weight does the weight distribution hitch throw off the hitch? a possible alternative for us would be the 287BHSW. It's about 500 lbs lighter at around 6030 and a hitch on paper of 645. I'd really prefer to stay with Jayco, but this would be our last ditch attempt to stay out of canvas. it's bare bones and has a fraction of the amenities i was hoping for, but it would work.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #30

The bottom line is the 28BHBE is too much trailer for that truck. I can guarantee you would be disappointed with the towing experience, and your truck would get punished trying to lug that thing around. The good news is that you have saved yourself a lot of trouble by coming here first to discuss things rather than be persuaded by a dumb salesman.

Working out your numbers on paper is a good idea, but only part of the total towing equation. My last truck and trailer worked on paper, only to find out that the real world application was a struggle. So many stressful memories while on the road, only getting 7mpg!

The 26BH can sleep 8 people and weighs in around 5000lb real world. That might be a good option for you. It's the most popular floor plan in the Jay Flight line.