Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #101

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...5151309a_2.jpg

if you cant see the photo try this link ..
OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...5151309a_2.jpg

if you cant see the photo try this link ..
No Luck, says unable to access network? Anyways,, what is it? Did you settle on a different trailer?

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #103

3748 lbs of payload... that should get the job done! I hope it works out for you!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:34 PM   #104

can't give it away - but it's a TV
Old 08-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #105

Quote:
can't give it away - but it's a TV
That is ALOT of truck, you are going to need a bigger trailer!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
That is ALOT of truck, you are going to need a bigger trailer!

HAHAHAHA!! or this one, and just never have to worry my little head one iota about what the heck we put in the bed of the truck or how full the trailer is (within it's limits).
Old 08-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #107

Great decision to go with F-350 with plenty of payload and power to pull a 284BHBE.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #108

SHHHH!!! It was a secret and nothing is definite yet..!
Old 08-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #109

Quote:
SHHHH!!! It was a secret and nothing is definite yet..!
Your picture had the VIN.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #110

bummer - it did didn't it. I didn't realize one could tell by the VIN. well.. still pics are not out there
Old 08-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #111

I realize this purchase is pending -- you and your other half really need to be commended. You came here and asked the question so many do, "can I tow this", and then when you received the truth it didn't turn into a fight where you were justifying why it can be done.

I wish I would have done it the way you are, probably would have saved myself $10k and ended up in the same place.

Oh, and this is a way better plan than buying a motorhome IMO.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #112

Thank you. I was 'there' with the 'fight' part. On paper, things were promising, the salesmen, talking to Ford directly, everyone in the corporations were saying it was 'ok' and my husband struggled too. But, here's the reality. I'm a real world person. Books can say one thing, but reality is a whole different ball game. The more that people posted, I kept scanning for the replies that said "you'll be FINE. Don't listen to the over cautious guys out there that worry too much" - which, by the way, would be me. I worry too much. LOL The truth was, 95% it seemed of responses guided away from doing it. These are real world people, real world experience, which blows away any books or documentation. I'm a software developer/consultant by trade, and learned a long time ago to not get my full direction only from the management type that are driving projects, but to ALSO get input from the USERS. In the end, they are the ones dealing with the software on a day to day basis, they know what they need, what works etc. It needs a collaboration of input and information - and this is kind of the same thing. You need to listen to those in the know, as well as what the books say, and make the best educated decisions you can.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't depressing, and looking at taking out 2 new loans is tough (with my job, it's also another wrinkle as I don't get steady pays, but hours fluctuate, so that might impact this move). If it pans out, I'll follow up. For anyone out there facing the same decision, let me tell you how HARD it was. I'm a planner, and we get new vehicles in shifts, and hold them for 10 years, so that we only have a payment on one at a time. Hubbys truck was due to be paid off in 2 years - had a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty that we paid for and to make the decision to trade it in on a slightly older (2011 vs 2013) vehicle, adding another YEAR of payments, was no easy task. But, If I can do it, so can you. Our payment amount on the truck isn't really changing... just the term of the extra year. maybe slightly higher interest. HOWEVER - the doors it opens to what we can tow are immeasurable. we have far less that we CAN'T tow, than what we can, IF this goes through. wish us luck!
Old 08-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #113

and yes, we SERIOUSLY considered motorhomes. VERY seriously. but in the end, I think this is a better decision for us at this point in our lives. financially and functionally
Old 08-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #114

Never ever put your faith in someone that stands to make money off of you. Salesmen are notorious for saying your truck can pull that trailer... they want you to buy that trailer. A lot of people wouldn't buy the trailer if they knew they needed a bigger truck. They would either settle for a smaller trailer, or more often they would just abandon the trailer purchase.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #115

2016 Jayflight 28 BHBE Elite - towing with an F150

Congrats on possibly getting all the truck you'll ever need (form possible trailer upgrades) before getting your trailer. I've towed with gas and diesel, with half ton and now 3/4 ton. Going right to 1 ton diesel is smart. If I could do it over I would have gone right to 1 ton diesel. It would have been a GMC though lol.... And I bet you'll never think "I wish I had less truck".

Oh and my 2007 LBZ duramax with 94k miles has never needed anything other than regular fluid and filter changes done by me... For those who say maintenance is an issue or much more costly, I haven't seen it...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #116

I know how you feel I thought I was ok numbers said ok dealer said ok. But I started reading here and several other websites never asked just read they all said the same thing. And I loved my f150 but back to a diesel I went. Like I said in a earlier post plus smart on a couple year old saved a lot of money. Smart move

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #117

it won't be a diesel truck - it's still Gas.. Hubs is a little intimidated by diesel, and of course it's more expensive. I think I am comfortable going this route. At our age, this is probably the last trailer we will buy (unless we downsize later) so we hope to get 10 years or so out of it and the trailer. At that point we might not do anymore as we'll be pushing 60, and it may be time to go motorhome terrritory (or just get hotels or something). This is our compromise. Not a Diesel, but still a 350 with over 3500 lbs of payload - tow limit is just shy of 12,000 - and we're considering going slightly bigger on the trailer too. likely the Jay Flight 32 BHDS, or, we are also considering a dutchmen 2014 with a very similar - almost exact - floor plan. The dutchmen will save a few thousand and is available local, though I am not sure on the quality of it. I really want the jayco, but we are considering an alternative .. maybe. time will tell. first things first, the truck. Then we can look at the trailer.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #118

Well just getting the 1 ton will give you a way more comfortable pulling experience. We looked at that model as well and ended up with the 33rlds with double pull out couches we love all the room.

Jayflight 2014 RLDS
2012 Ford F250 6.7 4x4
Idahoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 AM   #119

Quote:
it won't be a diesel truck - it's still Gas.. Hubs is a little intimidated by diesel, and of course it's more expensive.
The Ford 6.2 is a stout engine. It might take a little longer to get to the top of the hill, but it will get there. Gas mileage won't be as good as a diesel, but the $8000 +/- that you saved by buying a gas rig will buy a LOT of gas. Diesels aren't for everybody, only reason I got one is it was a great deal on a used.

Enjoy your rig and don't think you'll hang your hat when you are 60 and stop camping. We've met plenty of people in their 70's and even 80's that still camp. Some go the class A route, I guess its easier to drive and set up. Some just park their trailer on a seasonal site down south. But they all still love to camp and want to keep camping until they can't anymore.

I hope you guys find a trailer that you like and enjoy camping. Remember, don't just buy a bigger camper because you can pull it... Find a camper that works for you. Too big of a camper and you reduce the sites and places you can go. Sometimes the bigger campers aren't as roomy as the smaller campers (sounds weird I know... but sometimes they try to cram more *stuff* into a bigger camper and it gets crowded).
Old 08-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #120

I really do like the 28BHBE Elite. It's the best of both worlds to me, but, I know that hubs likes the quad bunks or 4 in the back that you can get with the other models (I initially stressed that I wanted those as well - but as women do, we change our minds sometimes ) I am now leaning toward the double bunks as they will fit 2 kids and adults, where as the single bunks *May* only fit kids. i.e., once the kids grow up will the bunks work or will we have to change? if this is a long term (10 year) investment, I'd like to go with the most logical approach for that.

we'll see - he's off to measure the dutchmen bunks now. LOL I'm a VERY lucky woman - with as cautious as I am about things and preplanning, it's a wonder i haven't driven him insane. But, we'll be celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary later this month, and we've been together over 20, so hopefully we can put this behind us and just enjoy now that the decisions are being made and we're finally moving forward.