Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

2016 Jayflight 28BHBE

I am not an owner yet. I hope to be one soon. The questions I have is for the people that own this travel trailer. Do you like it and does it work for your family? I have two kids ages 12 and 10, that like to sometimes bring friends with them. Trading in my old 2005 Kodiak 30BHSL which the bunks are starting to get small for the kids. Thanks in advance for your help.
hockey0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

We just got the Eagle 284BHBE which is the same floorplan.

After having the 2014 White Hawk 28DSBH for a couple years and putting about 60 nights camped on it, I really appreciate the floorplan of the BHBE's.

We tend to bring a couple or family along, so we really appreciate having the U-shaped dinette and having the full size shower. Storage is excellent.

The BHBE is also a handy length. It's still long, but above 30' nose-to-tail ever foot matters.

My only complaint are the smaller front storage hatches compared to the White Hawk and lack of an outside fridge, but overall the benefits of having a heavier duty coach and inside features far outweigh my gripes.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

Thank you Peter.

I agree with you I would love if the Jayflight had the outside fridge. The wife loves the bigger shower then the tub/shower in the Whitehawk and the U-shaped Dinette since that is what we have now.

Thanks
hockey0033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

Ours is the '14 model, but our reasons for buying would still be relevant to you I think. We got the bunkhouse specifically for the long term. Our son is 9 months now, and we anticipate making MANY memories in this trailer. He just began sleeping on the bottom bunk instead of the Pack n Play, so I'm looking for A LOT of years in this trailer. I would think for a couple kids (12 & 10) like yours, this floorplan would be ideal. The bunks are spacious, and there's just enough privacy, and the open floorplan is ideal; people aren't tripping over themselves. We entertained at a family gathering last year and we had the trailer absolutely full (just for the afternoon, they weren't all sleeping over); like 10 or 12 people IIRC and we were all comfortable hanging out in our trailer.

We're also a bit odd in that this was our first travel trailer moving up from tent camping. Most people take steps like tent>popup>hybrid>travel trailer>fifth wheel>motorhome. We decided to jump in with both feet on this one, again because we want to use it for a LONG time.

Some things to consider that may or may not matter to you: The bunks (bottom bunk especially) get a little stuffy, so fans should be considered. The bathroom is just excellent! The large shower feels more like home, and the outside door lets the kids come and go as needed without making quite as much mess and keeps the AC from taking quite as much of a hit when the door is opening up. Storage is plentiful, but some of it is so deep, we can't even see the back without a light. The "walk around" queen bed (they may have changed this in the newer models) isn't so easy to walk around. DW's feet are the perfect height of my ... ummmm ... "stuff", and they hang off the end of the bed a little, so that can be a bit uncomfortable when I have to get up in the night for the facilities. We didn't go with the White Hawk (at the time it and the Swift were the only other units with this floorplan) because we liked the build quality of the Flight, it's taller than the Hawk inside, we wanted aluminum siding, and we didn't care at all for the outside fridge. I've given the outside fridge a second thought a time or two, perhaps wishing I had something like that, but by no means do I regret our decision. I'll just use a small cooler if I want to keep drinks outside the trailer.

I would recommend you have a 3/4T truck to tow it with. I towed mine for a little over a year with my 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 (and yes, my weights were good on paper; maxed out, but within spec), and let's just say I won't be doing that again. I stepped up to a 2015 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi in May, and I'll never look back. Totally worth it.

Any way you slice it, IMHO this is one of the best floorplans Jayco has. We've been to two (fairly large) RV shows since we bought it, and we still wouldn't trade it for anything we've seen so far.

Good luck with your decision! And welcome to the club!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #5

We just bought a 2016 28BHBE Elite a little over a month ago and camped every weekend since. The trailer layout is great except for the external storage. Wish the bathroom and bunks were on opposite sides though. That way the storage in the rear would be on the awning side instead. Also it would have been nice if the bunks were spaced slightly higher so the rear outside storage could have a taller door.

Overall, it's fantastic! The dinette is perfect for our family of 5.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #6

I ordered my 2015 28BHBE in January and picked it up in April. I ordered it with out the out side door to the bathroom. I live in my TT for 154 days out of the year in Alaska and I love it. I have a 14 and 17 year olds and it works great.
bushflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

We looked hard at that model, ended up with a 29BHDS which is similar but has a small outside kitchen/fridge (no sink) and a few hundred pounds heavier. Big thing was the larger grey water capacity (its got 2 tanks) which was important to my wife.

2016 Jay Flight 29BHDS | Jayco, Inc.

We didn't find a lot of these on lots as its fairly new, but if your interested look at a 32IBTS which you should easily find, its pretty close to the 32IBTS with the back end of a 28BHBE except the bunks are reversed. We ended up buying on order and are happy with it.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

So I was wondering if those of you who own the 28 Jayflights if the television is hard to watch sitting on the couch with it being of center. I noticed with the 28 white hawk the television is centered. Does this make sense? Thanks
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
So I was wondering if those of you who own the 28 Jayflights if the television is hard to watch sitting on the couch with it being of center. I noticed with the 28 white hawk the television is centered. Does this make sense? Thanks
I ordered the 28BHBE and wondered the same. If the couch were occupied by one, I imagine they could lay down on the couch to watch, but it looks a bit shorter (narrower?) than the TT we are coming from. One of the reasons for getting the 28BHBE was the U-shaped dinette which would hold one to two more people more comfortably facing the television than the 2006 Fleetwood Terry DBHS we are coming from.

I would like to get a solid wooden folding chair for inside that could be used at the end of the dinette and also for occupants visiting or watching a movie on rainy days.
TobyMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:14 PM   #10

We got our 28 BHBE Elite last September 2014 and we absolutely loved it. This floor plan is perfect for us, no kids but always take a couple of friends on most trips. What's great about this trailer are open floor plan, big shower, huge slide out, wide bunk beds and 32" TV. We enjoyed it every time out.

Eric, Vilva & Sam (Golden Retriever)
2015 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2008 Nissan Titan
maksdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyMcCann View Post
I ordered the 28BHBE and wondered the same. If the couch were occupied by one, I imagine they could lay down on the couch to watch, but it looks a bit shorter (narrower?) than the TT we are coming from. One of the reasons for getting the 28BHBE was the U-shaped dinette which would hold one to two more people more comfortably facing the television than the 2006 Fleetwood Terry DBHS we are coming from.

I would like to get a solid wooden folding chair for inside that could be used at the end of the dinette and also for occupants visiting or watching a movie on rainy days.
The cool thing about the TV is that it's on an articulating arm (at least mine is and was installed from the factory), so you can pull the TV out and aim it anywhere you want, (including out the door so you can catch at least some of the ball game).

The couch is not good for laying on unless you're a really small person. DW has done it, but she is curled up like a shrimp, and invariably wakes up with cramps and a crick in her neck. She still does it all the time though... We have the Hide-a-bed option, so the rear cushions are removable and can be moved to the end of the couch for leaning back on; that's my favorite way to use the couch for long stints. More often, I like to remove the table and lean back against the back wall of the slide and kick my feet up along the removable ottoman when we're chilling out watching TV.

Really we don't spend a lot of time sitting around watching TV, but that's how we make it work if we're stuck inside. We'll usually turn the TV around and fall asleep during the opening credits of a movie before bed.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #12

We seriously looked at the 28 BHBE, comparing it to the 32 BHDS. As you can see in signature, we ended deciding on the 32. Main reason was the extra space of the bunk room. Just more room for our twin 12yo boys, and if they take a friend or two, or Grandma & Grandpa go on a trip with us there is plenty of room. And the sliding door over the 32 IBTS which has a curtain for the bunk room. The IBTS also was eliminated due to the somewhat cramped feeling at the stove. When we picked up our BHDS last night, they had an IBTS on the showroom floor, and the kitchen slide was rubbing slightly against the awning. Not something I would want happening or the need to put a pool noodle (or pipe foam) on to protect the awning. Also, you do loose the big shower, but gain the outdoor kitchen with the 32 BHDS over the 28 BHBE.

Definitely need a 2500/3500 for this model though. Truck did pretty good pulling it home last night, but we are in the middle of loading it now so it will be interesting to see how it does after! Still accelerated pretty good getting on the e-way at about 8k lbs from the factory.

Good luck in your decision!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #13

We are picking up our 2016 jay flight 28bhbe in two days. Can't wait!! It will be a nice upgrade from our 2011 jay feather x17z.
big_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #14

Congratulations!! Very nice upgrade indeed. Happy camping.

Eric, Vilva & Sam (Golden Retriever)
2015 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2008 Nissan Titan
maksdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #15

We've had our 2014 28BHBE for two years now and we love it! We have three kids ages 10, 8, 6. The bunks are awesome. We originally didn't like the other bunk models because the bunks were too narrow and many didn't come with a ladder. My girls usually share a bunk and my son gets his own. Tons of room for the girls to share. My oldest brought a friend one trip and they easily shared a bunk with extra room to spare.
The shower is amazing!!! So worth having the large full size square shower. I am able to shower with my little one (who can't shower alone yet) with plenty of room.
The couch is definitely too small for an adult to sleep on but my son has slept on it numerous times. It's very easy to flatten as well with the J-fold (can't recall their name for it) feature.
I agree with a previous poster that the Queen is not really a walk around. I have to kind of shuffle down the end of it to get to other side and my husband's feet do hang off the end which end up in my way when he lays down first. He loves that his feet are not hitting the wall, though.
Overall, we LOVE LOVE LOVE it and are very happy with our decision.

2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE
2018 Ford F250, crew cab, 8' bed
Family of 5 (kids ages 13, 11, 9)
adinack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #16

adinack74, as you mention, the queen is short. We ended up buying a Tempurpedic 3" foam top. Since the top is longer, we pulled out the mattress and stuffed a portion of pad in front of the mattress and let the rest drape over the end of the bed. The sleeping portion is now 6-8 inches longer and I no longer have my feet hanging off. Now it is really tight getting around the bed, but that is where my stuff is. Not really a big deal. The bed is way more comfortable! We love our camper also!
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #17

We have a 2015 model and we love it!! Every time we camp, we just look around and admire it. We pull ours w/ a 2012 burb w/ tow package. Like Camper Bob says, on paper it works but it's a tight fit towing w/ the 1/2 ton. It pulls and tracks good, backs good and is great for a family. We haven't camped at all before this one, so it was a big step. We still haven't used all the storage this thing has. Watching tv isn't that hard for us.

The biggest drawbacks are the bunk mattresses. No support at all, so that will be a gradual upgrade for toppers next season. I also installed some shelves in the wardrobe that works great.

It's def worth considering.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #18

I really like the floor plan. Bunks fit me with room to.spare (250 lb, 6'4") so I can reasonably expect to use until my two boys are gone. Nice big shower. Mattresses are junk - replaced all so comfy now. Lots of kitchen room and booth is nice. Reinforced booth seats and queen bed platform. Added fans for bunks. Need to add shelves in wardrobe. Only thing that could be better is if had outside kitchen.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
I really like the floor plan. Bunks fit me with room to.spare (250 lb, 6'4") so I can reasonably expect to use until my two boys are gone. Nice big shower. Mattresses are junk - replaced all so comfy now. Lots of kitchen room and booth is nice. Reinforced booth seats and queen bed platform. Added fans for bunks. Need to add shelves in wardrobe. Only thing that could be better is if had outside kitchen.
We just got our 2016 flight bhbe yesterday. I already want to reinforce the both. It is very weak where it connects to a panel right beside the couch. How did you reinforce yours?
big_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Have had our Eagle 28BHBE (same floor plan) for 2 years and love it. The dual queen back bunks allow our son to take a friend or two and the slide gives you plenty of room in the kitchen. The curtain blocks enough light that my son can go to bed while we finishing cleaning up and DW likes that she can keep the master bedroom door closed so she can sleep in while I make breakfast. I like that there are no appliances on the slide so I don't have to worry about electrical and extra weight on the slide. Our TV does not have an articulating arm, but it does swivel around between the front Master bedroom. It tows very well for its size and I haven't seen a better floorplan for our family yet.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote