Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

2016 JayFlight Issues to watch.

I am a first time Jayco owner and started having issues almost immediately. As I read around it seems most everyone takes their units to the dealer for warranty returns and never really look into the issues themselves. As I am opposed to having my trailer sit at the dealership for 6 weeks in the middle of summer (long story that would probably violate the "no dealer bashing" policy of the forum) I resorted to fixing most of the issues myself.

Within a week the Furrion radio/dvd/bluetooth stopped working properly and had to be replaced. Apparently there is a service bulletin that has been distributed to the dealers about these radios being bad from the factory.

The same trip the plastic end on the door strut broke and had to be replaced. The new one had metal ends to prevent this problem.

The grey and or black drain valve leaks filling the drain tube between dumps. Currently unresolved but another shop told me some of the valves being used are cheap and leak constantly.

The 12v wiring from the front to the back that runs underneath the trailer is improperly installed causing shorts in the marker lights and tail lights. It appears the factory "forgot" to run the wires through the cross members with grommets and instead just ran the wires on top of the sharp edges of the lower cross-members. After less than 3 months of use the lights started blowing fuses and now I'll be replacing all of the wiring under the trailer as it runs over every crossmember.

So the question becomes has anyone else had issues that they have resolved themselves with these new Jayco trailers?
Attached Thumbnails
20160616_105433_2.jpg   20160616_105629.jpg   20160616_105820.jpg   20160616_105739.jpg  
jjjmyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Just starting season 7 with mine and it has never been back to a dealer for anything. What few small issues I have had I fixed myself. Many of the small things that come up can be fixed in the time it takes simply to make an appointment and drag it to the dealer, let alone wait for them to get to it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Nope. 2016 Jayco with too many miles on it already and only two minor issues.
The radio is maddening though. Our aftermarket TV remote not only changes the channels but the radio comes on with it too. I am about to wring that radios neck though the problem is the remote frequency

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

I try to fix everything myself too. It is often much easier than towing it the 45 miles one way and leaving it for a period of time. We do make a list of some items that I don't need to fix right away and are mainly cosmetic and will have them repaired under warranty at the end of the season.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #5

My motto is if I can fix it myself and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg, then I will do it.
I don't like it sitting at the dealers, the dealer is too far away, and if I fix it I know it will be fixed correctly.

Really, other than the irritation of something breaking in the first place, it is kind of fun to work on...just like a mod. I learn more about my trailer each time I work on it.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #6

Since most guys here are fixing their brand spankin new amish quality trailer, why not trying to get a credit for the 2 years warranty at time of purchase ? That would make lots of sense to me

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Since most guys here are fixing their brand spankin new amish quality trailer, why not trying to get a credit for the 2 years warranty at time of purchase ? That would make lots of sense to me
Fixing issues yourself is your choice. I don't think they'll credit you for self repairs. Nor would any other industry. In fact, I'd bet most dealers would want to fix even the littlest of problems so the can bill it back to Jayco. Some people fix their own issues because the service dept at most dealerships are backlogged and people don't want to wait. Others say they can do a better quality repair if they do it themselves. It's when that big ticket item fails, or something beyond one's repair capabilities fails, you'll appreciate having the warranty.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #8

So that tell me that we are not done with questionnable workmanship and the incapacity of the industry to give good warranty services in a timely manner.

Well thats how it is and theres not much we can do about it, my next TT will be one to two years old for sure, i wont pay full price for a so call ....new.... trailer that ill have to rebuild on my time and dime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Fixing issues yourself is your choice. I don't think they'll credit you for self repairs. Nor would any other industry. In fact, I'd bet most dealers would want to fix even the littlest of problems so the can bill it back to Jayco. Some people fix their own issues because the service dept at most dealerships are backlogged and people don't want to wait. Others say they can do a better quality repair if they do it themselves. It's when that big ticket item fails, or something beyond one's repair capabilities fails, you'll appreciate having the warranty.

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #9

I'm into fixing my trailer myself too.

Gotta look into how the underbelly wiring was done. That mess you have is absolute "horror show".

Biggest gaff on my trailer was the wheel bearings: One wasn't tightened properly and none were greased adequately. Minor issues with the cabinets and the orientation of the lamp over the dining table.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Each item on my rig that was covered by the 2 year warranty and fixed by my dealer was pre-approved by Jayco before the work was done.

My local dealer would not do any warranty work without prior authorization. They said they would not get paid if they did.

After the first few trips, I figured that I could do the majority of the things myself and not have to bother with taking it, picking it up. As I have said in other threads, I have only had a couple of what I consider to be big troubles. Both were handled fully to my satisfaction. Jayco even stepped up on another problem after I was out of warranty a few months.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
Our Jayco is up on blocks at our own private campsite. I have no vehicle capable of towing it, nor do I care to. If i knew there were this many problems with new campers, I might just have decided to upgrade our old 50 year old TT and not buy a new one.

In any event, only a couple minor issues, that I would classify as more like "adjustments". Easy peasy. We did recently have a leak in our kitchen faucet, so rather than bother the dealer (they weren't going to do the work anyway), I contacted jayco directly.

All I wanted was a new faucet. I'll do the replacement (like about 3 minutes work). First of all they were very clear that the new faucet would not be warrantied, since a dealer did not replace it. Also, since they wanted the old one back, I asked for a UPS pre-paid label and I would return it in the same box....

Not possible. I had to PAY for the UPS charge and then send them the bill and i would be reimbursed.

Now listen. If the dealer had done it they would have had to pay for LABOR AND the part. I SAVED them the labor charge and I still had to go thru a bunch of piddly dink horse doodoo hoop jumping.

The new faucet works awesome, and I'm happy as a clam. But I'm still PO'd because I have yet to receive the $7 check to reimburse the shipping. If I had gone to Wallyworld I could have had the same faucet for $12 and not had to send so many emails and wait to get the parts and reimbursement.

I still have several months left on the warranty. I hate the thought of having to deal with something above my capabilities. knowing that our trailer ain't going nowhere to be fixed.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjmyst View Post
The grey and or black drain valve leaks filling the drain tube between dumps. Currently unresolved but another shop told me some of the valves being used are cheap and leak constantly.
Just came back from the second trip and had this issue. If it seems to be an issue on the next trip, I'll have to tackle this one.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #13

In the RV world you get what you pay for. We just down graded, Whitehawk to a JayFeather. Many reasons. No issues after 5 trip home from dealer. Any minor breaks I will fix or replace. I want to add or change taillights!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #14

Mine is a 2013 so it is not new, but it is not old either. Since I bought in later 2012 I took my trailer back to my purchasing dealer once for a few things after my first trips but they were fairly minor...loose interior trim piece, tape on slide lifting and a few similar things I can't remember right now. It was early enough in the season that my trailer was not going to be tied up when I was planning on camping.

Since then I have done my own repairs like tightening plumbing connections at the shower base and the water fill while under warranty because the dealer's service department schedule conflicted with my camping schedule and my dealer is a 90 minute ride each way. None of the repairs I did while under warranty cost me a bunch and I like doing my own work when convenient. I've never felt the need to milk every last penny out of a warranty if it did not work with my big picture but if a major system had failed, my trailer would have been parked on the dealer's lot with lots of friendly "progress update" phone calls from my wife. (She is nicer than me so when we want to play nice she does her thing.)

Out of warranty I've replaced in-line air break in black tank flush line and reattached various trim pieces that have come loose from being knocked and bumped by chairs, feet, etc. My trailer has been very, very reliable.

From all I've read online and in magazines it does seem that the RV industry is having more quality control issues with RVs of all configurations and price ranges. (Yes, I know there are people like me who have few if any issues and people tend to complain more than praise but if you do a lot of reading across brands and styles the trend is that the number and nature of the problems reported are getting worse not better.) I think the problem is the pressure of building to a price point combined with quantity over quality focus.

I'm lucky that I have a good small independent RV shop one town over where I store my RV so if I have an issue I can't fix I know there is good, if not cheap, help close. He will also do his best to get me on the road as quickly as possible.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #15

I don't get why a unit would need to sit at dealer for 6 weeks? Our local Jayco dealer (not where we purchased) looks at your unit on the day your appointment is and fixes anything they have parts for. If parts need to be ordered, you can take your trailer home and bring it back once parts arrive.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #16

I got a 2016 jayflight after our first run the hot/cold lines were backward and one of the bearing seals were bad, made appt. at dealer got back 2 days later everything fixed. Put about 4000 miles on it in 6 months, everything good so far
Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #17

I've had pretty good luck with mine so far after 3 years. I also haven't returned to the dealer for repairs but opted to fix the small problems myself. I'd say half the repair I have completed weren't due to Amish craftsmanship but due to cheap material used to make the TT. Furion and Jensen are not high or mid-grade quality audio electronics, they are Chinese junk.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doors, electrical problems, furrion, sewage, warranty