Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

2016 Norcold Fridge won't run on gas

I've had my 27 BHS for over two years and for the first time I tried to use Norcold fridge (8 cu ft) on LP gas for my trip home and could not get it to run on gas? It runs very good on electric but when I switched over to gas (for 1st time ever) to try cooling while traveling home the yellow light was flashing and was not keeping it cold. I think I had already unplugged from shore power when the yellow light was flashing.
The gas was on and I did purge the lines 1 1/2 days earlier from starting oven top burners. I hadn't used the stove at all - just got burners working in case we needed them. Maybe I should have used them a bit more to make ALL the air was out? So yes, gas line was turned on, all 3 burners lit for purging.
I tried looking for older threads first (as I know it's been discussed many times) but was unsuccessful finding what I needed?
I've also never tried running hot water heater on gas but now wondering if I should try that as well?
Any ideas on what I could do or need to change?
Thanks for any help

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

Could just need a tune up/real good cleaning. On my Norcold in our 18 26BH I had a strange problem... Electric ran great but then when gas came on, it would light but never get cold. Gas would run for literally days on end and the fridge ended up getting WARMER than ambient inside.

The flame LOOKED good through the peep hole and sounded okay. I ran out of gas one day troubleshooting it and went to change the bottle only to find a ton of oil in the fittings and the line. I cleaned those out real good, changed my regulator as it was contaminated and took the burner apart and cleaned that real good. There is a filter inline that was also smooshed up (just foam) and I cleaned that with alcohol and reinstalled it properly, allowing more efficient gas flow. Well, after that I could get 34 degrees in the fridge and 2 degrees in the freezer all on setting 2.

I don't think this is your issue but it could be that you need to do a burner cleansing. It's actually very easy to do, just don't lose some of the parts in there... If you need any help troubleshooting this, let me know...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #3

Same issue on our '12 x20e. Following
Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #4

Thanks Neo1130, appreciate your response. Not sure that's my issue either but will keep looking into it!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM   #5

Try manually switching from electric to gas. Does the light still flash? If it does flash, how many times? Can you give me the correct model number of the fridge?

The number of flashes of the light is usually a code that says what the problem is (or could be.)
Old 05-21-2019, 10:04 AM   #6

Also, sometimes there is a hiccup in the controls. Try turning the fridge off completely by the power button, waiting a few minutes and turning it back on, trying again.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

I did try manually switching
I did turn off and on again but may not have waited long enough (seconds not minutes)
I am at work right now but will check out how many times it flashes & get the model number when I get home and report back tonight or tomorrow
Thanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 05-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #8

Another possibility. On my Hummingbird the dealer found that the propane hose was kinked and not allowing gas to the refrigerator. They are replacing the hose and gas manifold under warranty.
The only reason I discovered this is because I have a dry camping event coming up and checked to make sure it worked on gas.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Well good news and bad news
1st the bad news...I’m an idiot
Good news...I had the wrong gas tank turned on - we didn’t use the gas while we camped so I’m guessing there was just enough in the lines to light the stove to purge the line. Tonight when I realized which tank is on, the fridge started right up and ran until I shut it off
Thanks for helping and advise/suggestions

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 05-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Well good news and bad news
1st the bad news...I’m an idiot
Good news...I had the wrong gas tank turned on - we didn’t use the gas while we camped so I’m guessing there was just enough in the lines to light the stove to purge the line. Tonight when I realized which tank is on, the fridge started right up and ran until I shut it off
Thanks for helping and advise/suggestions
Haha, I think we've all been there at one point. Glad to see it worked out for you.