Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

2016 roof question

On the roof of our camper appears to have several small hard bumps that I'm guessing is nails coming up.
They are all near seams where plywood meet.
The repair facility said Jayco was admit they would NOT pay to remove membrane to view/fix.
Jayco approved to have them tapped back down, then caulked and reseal the whole roof. Sounded like painting on a rubber coat.
Looking for thoughts on this?
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

You are under warrantee. Take it back to your dealer and have them repair it correctly to NEW condition.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:00 AM   #3

There shouldn't be any nails along the seams where the roof plywood sheets meet. Jayco goes to great length to note they use screws along the seams where the roof plywood meets.

I know nail guns are used along the edges of the roofing plywood, but not the seams where the plywood sheets meet.

If there are bumps along the seams, could it be the screws were screwed down far enough? Some of the screw head was left above the plywood surface? Or somehow the screw has backed out in some manner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishCamper View Post
On the roof of our camper appears to have several small hard bumps that I'm guessing is nails coming up.
The repair facility said Jayco was admit they would NOT pay to remove membrane to view/fix.
Jayco approved to have them tapped back down, then caulked and reseal the whole roof. Sounded like painting on a rubber coat.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishCamper View Post
I'm having this same situation on my '14 28BHBE. It does look like nails are backing out of the plywood. I'll try to get pictures this week.

ParrishCamper, did you ever find what the cause was and a solution?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

All the dealer is going to do at this point is take a block of wood and hammer them back down, not much else can be done without removing the roof membrane. If it was me I would do the same and cover with Eternabond tape anywhere the membrane got cut.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #6

Both jayco campers I've had were like this. You could see areas where it looked like something was uneven or had the appearance of a nail/screw head visible under the roof membrane.

I've never had a roof leak as a result. If it were me, I would keep a patch kit for the roof in the camper and go on down the road. I would inspect the roof normally. I would rather not let the dealer peal the roof off to inspect, and put it back down (yikes).

I've seen a patched roof from a low hanging branch. I've had my roof patched from the garden hose rubbing a hole in it (trying to clean the roof I rubbed a HOLE in the roof memrane! duhhhh). I have a lot of confidence in the roof patch. I don't have much confidence that your roof is defective (or would be approved for warranty) or needs repair. I never liked condition you are experiencing, but I don't think it's a defect. Seems pretty normal really.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

If they are screws, I don't see that pounding on them would be very smart. I think I would wait and see if the membrane gets penetrated by the screws or nails.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
All the dealer is going to do at this point is take a block of wood and hammer them back down, not much else can be done without removing the roof membrane. If it was me I would do the same and cover with Eternabond tape anywhere the membrane got cut.
Agreed - I have them popping at random. I take a slightly gentler approach; I place a 1/4" thick piece of rubber over them and tap (judiciously) them with a rubber mallet. Some of them are stubborn. I cover the repeaters (a few reoccur) with Eternabond (added protection against perforations). Be careful not to tear the membrane. If you do, Eternabond is your friend.

The dealer ain't touchin' my roof.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote