Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

2017 x213

Brand spank'in new to all of this. Having a blast learning all I can before picking up the 2017 X213 in 2 days. Scouring the Internet for all the fun gadgets I am going to throw my money at.

Anyone know what (if any) differences there are between the 2017 and earlier models?

Would love some input on "must haves" for this trailer. Don't laugh, but I am not very "handy". Any installs would have to be handled by a professional. I have read many post of you all working like mad scientists tweaking this or changing that. I am good at many things, but that I am not.

For this trailer, is there something you have added that you love? Not necessarily something that has to be installed. Could be something simple as "you need to get this for the sink!" Etc.

You are awesome.
Baronent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #2

My advice...

1) You will reorganize repeatedly. Be thoughtful about any semi-permanent modifications you make for storage until you are pretty sure it's something you want to stick with.

2) Don't run out and buy stuff, aside from the usual (decent sewer hose, disposable gloves, that kind of stuff). Use the trailer, learn what you think is missing, make a note of it. If you keep getting the same list each time you go out, then satisfy the need. Buying everything in sight from the get go is a grand way to get over GVWR and empty of wallet, and you may buy things you find aren't all that well suited to RV life after all.

As for modifications that have made me happy...

1) Changing the wardrobe at the front into shelves. We don't hang a lot of clothes, so making that space into more usable storage was nice.

2) Raising the lower bunk bed. I don't need to flip the bed completely out of the way, it still goes up to about a 45* angle, and having a foot more space below the bottom bunk makes a spot for our labrador to sleep at night. Makes storing things under the bunk easier too.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

I am only going to be purchasing fun items I know we will need such as BBQ grill, paper plates etc until I learn the lay of the land. I think purchasing a small tent for the kids to sleep/play in outside of the trailer is a good buy. I suppose I need a lightweight table and chair set for outside etc...
Old 08-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Yeah, the usual camping gear makes sense. Camp chairs, propane stove (Weber Q, Coleman, whatever floats your boat). If you like to cook outside (keeps the camper cooler and cleaner) then you might consider options for running the outside stove off the quick-connect behind the wheels on the right side. A stove with shelves on the side is nice, or a little table to put next to the stove will work.

My first batch of purchases were little supporting accessories -- rhinoflex hose, latex gloves, freshwater hose, water pressure regulator, a bit for the cordless drill that fits the stabilizer bolt, torpedo level, and so on. For the time being I just use some pressure treated wood blocks I cut under the stabilizers and hitch jack, and some of the same wood as longer pieces for leveling. Still trying to decide if I want to pony up for Anderson levelers. Spendy for a hunk of plastic, and I really haven't had an issue getting level very quickly using just a couple 2x8 boards.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Do several overnights at Camp Driveway.

That'll give you a feel for what your needs and wants are.

What works great for SWMBO & myself probably won't do you any good whatsoever.

Have fun! Pay attention to the details.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

Exspensive lesson..

I'd like to add that as you do upgrades and modifications - keep the old parts.

In my previous unit I changed out four of the 110 sockets for 110 +dual USB, and changed the shower head out for a fancier one. I took the parts to goodwill. Then a few months ago when I went to trade in the unit for my 212QBW I had to leave the mods in. Now I have to buy all that over again if I choose to add them. -sigh.
2016 KLR650E
Just me and roads less traveled...
ErraticAKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Being pretty new to this myself, I focused most of my initial purchases on safety related gear. I bought 3 of those emergency roadside triangles in case I have a break down. A good first aid kit that I built. A 12 volt powered mini air compressor to fill tires and a good tire gauge just for the camper. I also picked up a couple of fresh water hoses, sewer hose kit, pressure regulator, water filter, and a few storage bins from home depot to organize our pass through storage area. The only item I bought at an RV store (price gougers) was the sewer hose kit. I also had to buy some pretty big hand tools I didn't already own so I could install my equalizer hitch myself.

But just last night I ordered 100 watt solar panel and charge controller so I'm clearly getting out of hand fairly fast.

Best advise in this thread is to start a trip log / diary and everytime you think of something you wish you had, write it down. After my first week using our new travel trailer, I have about 30 items on my list... things like usb cables, door mat, upgrades to items that could have been built a little better, more battery capacity, shelving mods, BlueTooth 'backup camera' etc.

Oh, and the main difference between the 2016 and 2017 model I own was they changed the color of the hardware on the cabinets. I went with the 2016 and ended up getting more than 30% off msrp. I prefer my hardware anyway
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #8

There is an X213 thread that you should read through to get a lot of great ideas and questions answered.

X-chocks are a blessing. I would invest in those. They DO NOT replace regular chocks but they are wonderful.

My best upgrade so far was replacing the standard bathroom fan with a Fantastic Fan (that's the brand name) that has a built in thermostat. Now I can use the fan to pull cool air through the trailer at night but it will shut off before it gets too cold for everyone to be comfortable. I also put a cover over the bathroom fan vent so I can leave it open all year round and not have to worry about rain getting in or leaving it up while traveling. The other thing I did, because I am lazy, was install a battery on/off switch so I can easily disconnect my battery without having to pull the cover off or find the fuse.

Its a great rig and we love ours. Had it a few months now and zero problems. Like people have said start with sleeping in it in the driveway to get an idea of what bed modifications you may want and what items you might be missing.

One more thing. Don't load a ton of stuff in the front bunk area. I have determined that I can put about 150-200lbs of stuff in the front. If I put any more than that my tongue weight gets pretty heavy. On the reverse, if I leave it completely empty and put everything in the center aisle then my tongue weight is too light and the trailer starts getting hard to handle.
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

All these comments are great. Thank you. I am taking serious notes. I have also read the other super helpful thread and have my notes ready for pick up day.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #10

Added bug screens

When I was working on our X213 I found some mud dauber nests behind the refrigerator vents so I added some bug screens to keep them out.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20160820_16_22_15_Pro.jpg   WP_20160820_16_22_18_Pro.jpg   WP_20160820_16_22_10_Pro.jpg   WP_20160820_16_22_34_Pro 1.jpg  

Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #11

I would make sure you have 15 and 30 Amp fuses on hand. Never no when one will burn out and it's a quick fix.
ArmadaX213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #12

We just finished our first trip with our X213 after modifying the ceiling manually controlled air conditioner to be controlled by a wall thermostat. Very nice mod and no where near as difficult as I thought it would be. Now the wall thermostat controls both the AC and the Furnace.

Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Old 10-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmitchell View Post
We just finished our first trip with our X213 after modifying the ceiling manually controlled air conditioner to be controlled by a wall thermostat. Very nice mod and no where near as difficult as I thought it would be. Now the wall thermostat controls both the AC and the Furnace.
Is there a thread out there on this mod? I would like to do the same to my x213.
Canuduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuduh View Post
Is there a thread out there on this mod? I would like to do the same to my x213.
I never wrote up a thread as I forgot to take pictures, but PM me and I can walk you through it.

Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Old 10-14-2016, 04:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronent View Post
I am only going to be purchasing fun items I know we will need such as BBQ grill, paper plates etc until I learn the lay of the land. I think purchasing a small tent for the kids to sleep/play in outside of the trailer is a good buy. I suppose I need a lightweight table and chair set for outside etc...
Lotsa good suggestions. Make this a fun thing.

Do you have kids? How old?

Beyond things needed for the trailer itself, there's things you'll want for just camping.

If you don't want to hand crank your stabilizer jacks every time, get yourself a cordless drill/battery/charger/and the socket sold to fit the jacks. Makes it a breeze to drop and raise the jacks. Mine are electric, but I still have that and I can't tell you how many times I see folks cranking their jacks down. I walk over with the drill and say, "Here use this". They're amazed how fast it does the job. It goes on their list of things needed.

As others have said, if you can, set up the trailer in the yard. Open the awning and camp all day. Multiple days. I did this and have a fire pit also. Start a fire. Woops, no lighter fluid? Put it on the list. When it comes time to eat, get your notepad ready with pen.

1) Fire pit grill on a steel stake. These are great for virtually anything, burgers, sausage, chicken breast, pork chops, steaks.

2) The wife will say "I'm getting bit by mosquitos". OFF goes on the list.

3) You'll see a wasp. RAID goes on the list.

4) One of the best things I've ever bought is a large long handle skillet. Mine is 24 inches wide with a 3 foot long handle. It goes on the steel stake grill. You can make a breakfast for an Army with this thing. It's HUGE!!! This thing has tasted everything over a fire including sauteed sea scallops and angus fillet mignon. Mmmmmmm.

5) Nightime comes and the kids will say "SMORES". Put it on the list. 2 Cast Iron rectangular pie makers. These are great for a ton of things. Google pie maker recipes.

6) Wife will say, "OK I'll make smores but I can't SEE, it's dark". Awning lights? With a DIMMER!!!!!

Keep in mind that most places you go SHOULD have a picnic table available to you so the table may not be needed?

You might consider a Map Gas Torch. I'm kind of a PYRO, so I need one to get a fire going in the rain with wet wood. LOL.
Baja is offline   Reply With Quote