Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #1

2018-2019 Jayco 32 BDHS Slide Roof Questions - seal and rubber loose normal?

So Wife and I have been looking for a used 2018-2019 Jayco 32 BDHS. We like layout, room, colors, quality, weight for our truck, and price point.

We have seen three now that look nice. I am pretty anal, an engineer, and on my third camper, so I go through with a fine comb.

On all three inspections, each have their own quirks, but the main thing I've found is the rear outside corner of living room slide sets my moisture meter off on 3 of 3. When I look on roof, in all cases it looks like the tape at outside wall of slide peels back on slide roof and maybe this is where it's coming from.

So two questions:

1.) Have others seen this, is it as simple as peel back this black duct tape looking stuff and put 4" eternabond and some caulk and I should be set?

2.)When looking at slide out roofs, 2 of the 3 camper seem to have loose rubber roof on this slide out at the interior side. 1 was very wrinkled. both could be piched and pulled up by hand. Is this normal, or evidence of more water damage and thats it's come unglued? Anyone able to look at theirs?

Was really hoping to move into a Jayco and buy soon, but these inspections are starting to make me re-think.
PureMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #2

Pictures

See attached for pictures. Here is the moisture meter reading about 50% inside and 100% on outside at that corner. Wallpaper seem bubbled up a little maybe from the wet wood expansion. Here is best and worse of black duct tape like seal. Even the better looking one, if you run finger across it, its not sealed down...it lifts up. Last pic is ripple of the roof that is loose on inside ~1ft. Any help as trying to move on 1 of these units but dont want to buy a headache. All of the units were very cleaned and well taken car of and this was news to owners.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1176.jpg   IMG_1174.jpg   lose-seal.jpg   IMG_1200.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #3

More pictures

Here is the best looking one, but still tape curled back slightly and that corner just as moist on the inside part of living room. Slide roof still loose on inside, but not as wavy as worst one. Bunkhouse room rubber roof doesn't seem to be loose so feeling like its not right on living room despite being like that on 2/3....

Last picture from internet and was thinking how I might repair.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1212.jpg   IMG_1252.jpg   IMG_1253.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #4

I have a 2016 32bhds. The roofs on the slides have had ripples since the day I picked the camper up. I don’t believe they’re “glued down”
djs1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This is a duplicate thread, may want to consider the following thread by the OP:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...mal-75277.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #6

Thanks all!

Sorry for the duplicate, wasn't getting any bites over here and was looking to move quick to make a purchase decision.

Anyway to delete this duplicate?