Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

2018 324BHTS- pick it up tomorrow!

Well...after a ton of use and life out of my 2001 Qwest 28BH, it was time to upgrade.
I spent way too much time comparing RV's and going back and forth.

In the end, based on how well my 01' treated me, and the bunkhouse floorplans, I put my name on a 2018 324BHTS today. Every option aside from auto level and Sanicon....I think.

Pretty excited for the massive upgrade from what we had. We are a family of 3 that uses our trailer probably 75 nights a year, majority of that here in TX at the Red River Motorcycle Trails.

Ready to do the swap of all of our gear, and prep for a 4 day weekend in it over Easter!!!

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #2

Have fun.....
Old 03-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Congrats on the new rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

Anyone have feedback on the outside grill? The one that goes in place of the two burners that slide into the outside kitchen?

I got that option, hoping I can stop carrying my separate Weber Q200 and stand.

We don't do filets, mainly burgers and cheesy brats and toast some buns now and then.

Just curious if it works ok or a joke...always can go either way on items like this.
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
Old 03-23-2018, 05:57 AM   #5

Congrats!

I looked at one of those trailers too, but I thought it would be taxing my F150 too much.

I have the same truck as you, but in the end decided on the 28BHKS.

Let us know how the F150 handles it. Power wise, you'll have no issues with the Ecoboost, but I'm curious how your truck handles that beast!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #6

Yes, congrats! We've toured a couple 324BHTS's---very nice floorplan. The rear bunk/entertainment area is a nice feature set, especially for kids.

Have to agree with Quantum, probably going to have watch how you load it--especially with a 1/2-ton. We have the smaller, 750 lb. lighter, 306RKDS and tow it with a 1-ton SRW diesel. Doesn't take much gear near the tongue/bedroom/basement area (like extra batteries) to push the tongue weight north of 1,500 lbs. Obviously, we don't have any payload concerns with a 1-ton. But, our CAT V 2.5" receiver is only rated for 1,700 lbs., so we do have to watch the tongue weight. I believe the F150's receiver is rated for 1,200 lbs. (with a WDH).

Enjoy! Safe travels!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Congrats!

I looked at one of those trailers too, but I thought it would be taxing my F150 too much.

I have the same truck as you, but in the end decided on the 28BHKS.

Let us know how the F150 handles it. Power wise, you'll have no issues with the Ecoboost, but I'm curious how your truck handles that beast!
Well...its pushing it I am sure but 90% of what we do is a 60 mile trip from home to a large ATV park here in TX. If I was going longer distances and up and over passes, no way I would have gone with this size. We can fill with water at the park, so I tow empty of water, etc.

I am a tad lucky, I work for Ford corporate, and can spec out my trucks every year, so that makes it nice. I just can't put a ball/plate in the bed so had to stay bumper pull.

The 18' F-150's I "think" have better rear leaf's or bushings or both. My 19' handled my 01' TONS better than my 15/16/17's did.
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
Old 03-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #8

Ohh and I like the rear receiver for the reasons you guys point out.

If I can put one cooler back there on a carrier, it will offset a tad of the nose load. :-)
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
Old 03-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

You'll love your new 324bhts as we do ours
Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
. . . We can fill with water at the park, so I tow empty of water, etc. . . .
If the FW tank on the 324BHTS is in the rear like some of the other bumper-pull Jayco Eagle HT's, then placing some water in the FW tank can reduce your tongue weight several hundred lbs. Tongue weight (not tow weight) is going to be your primary concern towing with your F150. Again, nice trailer! Enjoy!
Old 03-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
If the FW tank on the 324BHTS is in the rear like some of the other bumper-pull Jayco Eagle HT's, then placing some water in the FW tank can reduce your tongue weight several hundred lbs. Tongue weight (not tow weight) is going to be your primary concern towing with your F150. Again, nice trailer! Enjoy!
Good to know...will ask/look when I pick it up in an hour.

I assumed (I know) the tank was centered above the axles, but the fill is on the rear wall of the trailer so bettin you are correct.
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
Old 03-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #12

We also recently purchased a 2018 Eagle HT 324BHTS, and like you, are towing it with a Ford F150 w/ ecoboost engine. Dealer claims he has sold dozens of this model trailer to 1/2 ton pickup owners without issue ( the HT reportedly stands for half ton towable), but who really knows for sure. Have only towed it home from the dealer so far (2 hour trip), with no issues at all. The F150 handled it well, however, I do realize the trailer was empty at the time. I know loaded up with gear we will be near/at our max towing limit, and we plan on upgrading to a F250 super duty next year. Until that time, mostly short trips planned. Let me know if you make out better with some water in the tanks, as we planned on not carrying any. Also, what brand/size WD hitch did you go with??
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
We also recently purchased a 2018 Eagle HT 324BHTS, and like you, are towing it with a Ford F150 w/ ecoboost engine. Dealer claims he has sold dozens of this model trailer to 1/2 ton pickup owners without issue ( the HT reportedly stands for half ton towable), but who really knows for sure. Have only towed it home from the dealer so far (2 hour trip), with no issues at all. The F150 handled it well, however, I do realize the trailer was empty at the time. I know loaded up with gear we will be near/at our max towing limit, and we plan on upgrading to a F250 super duty next year. Until that time, mostly short trips planned. Let me know if you make out better with some water in the tanks, as we planned on not carrying any. Also, what brand/size WD hitch did you go with??
I had two 10K ones already, one Reese set for my Qwest and I had the dealer set my other one...I think its a BW...both are chain style, not trunion style. I had to buy a new reciever mount so they could get the hitch high enough to level it all out.

Drive home yesterday was a lil sketchy but we had 35 mph winds here in TX, and when I got home, I noticed they never snugged my sway bar at all, it was pinned on, but jsut flopping, so that will help.

I may add some Super Springs I read about. The truck handles the weight fine, great actually, whoa and go are great, just the tail wagging a bit, but we shall see once its towed with the sway bar.

I work for Ford corporate, and had an issue a on a 15' that was similar, and tracked down some engineers and they told me I was unloading the rear too much..ie had the bars too tight...I didn't buy it, but added a link to each side and holy cow did it tow better...and I am wondering if the same is happening now. The chains are WAY tight, even with the tongue jacked up. You can't lift the tongue enough to make the chains loose, and in my opinion, usually you can get close, so my quick gut says he set them too tight for this truck....we shall see.

Just spent a day and half swapping gear from trailer to trailer, and OH MY GOD did I have a ton of crap in the old one. Like 4 whisks, 4 sets of measuring cups, 19 flashlights, and on and on and on. So we were due for a clean out. I am WAY surprised and happy to learn ever drawer, bin, etc is about double the size of the cabinets in the Qwest...we have room to spare!

Also happy to test and learn today that my Champion 3500 gen will run the trailer and one AC just fine....I know we can't microwave or blowdry or fireplace, but glad I can "get by" if I need to with what I have.

Only one issue so far, stereo only plays out of one side of the interior speakers. Noted it at delivery, and told them to wait and fix it when I come back with my punch list...LOL.
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
Old 03-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #14

Congratulations!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #15

Yep you never realize what stuff you have until you take everything out and look at it.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #16

Congratulations!
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:44 AM   #17

Congratulations!
Old 03-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #18

We are using an Equalizer 4 point sway control WD hitch (12K size) which was recommended by the dealer. I was not sure whether to go with the 12K or 14K, but dealer recommended the 12K for our setup. Seemed to work just fine on the trip home, no sway at all, however I needed to fine tune the adjustments a bit after getting home to better level out the trailer and get the truck closer to non weight bearing heights. Dealer did not do a very good job setting up the hitch, and after watching several videos, I think I finally have it dialed in.

Like you, I plan on starting my punch list. Have yet to do anything but "driveway camp" so far, first trip is scheduled for May. Have found just a couple minor issues to date which I repaired myself, however, I am sure after our first trip I will have a punch list for the dealer! Lol
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwprostock View Post
. . . tracked down some engineers and they told me I was unloading the rear too much..ie had the bars too tight...I didn't buy it, but added a link to each side and holy cow did it tow better...and I am wondering if the same is happening now. The chains are WAY tight, even with the tongue jacked up. You can't lift the tongue enough to make the chains loose, and in my opinion, usually you can get close, so my quick gut says he set them too tight for this truck....we shall see . . .
Why not take your rig to the nearest scale (loaded, vacation ready) and scale the truck with no trailer, truck with trailer (WDH not activated), and truck with trailer (with WDH activated; note the adjustment/links). With these numbers in-hand, it's much easier to accurately dial-in a WDH.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:26 AM   #20

So some good news. Got all of our gear swapped from the old Qwest 28BH and then work got in the way of the trailer but I am now typing from our camp on the Red River.

I hooked up Thursday morning, no water, and headed out, honestly a tad nervous based on the sway on the way home from the dealer, but as a reminder, that was in 35 mph winds and no sway bar.

Set the sway bar pretty snug and headed out and to my lovely surprise, things towed relatively perfect. I left at 5:30am to purposely avoid rush hour (I live in North Dallas/Ft. Worth) and went out to 35W and north.

Rolling along about 62 mph I see a semi coming to pass me and think "welp..here we go" got one hand on the brake controller and he rolls past me without much of a wiggle out of me and the trailer.

Remainder of the 65 mile trip was similar and just fine towing....so thats the good news o the trip so far. 2nd best news is, no real issues so far after 2 nights in it. Can't say I am sold on the "On Demand" hot water heater yet. I thinks is probably PERFECT is you have full hook ups, but if you wanted to boondock this thing, you would go through more water due this water heater than a traditional WH.

Thats it for now....smiling from ear to ear!
2018 F-150 Ecoboost