Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #1

2018 Jayco 145RB water leak

I bought this trailer brand new in April 2018. Great TT and problem free....or so I thought. I've kept up on maintenance, checked all seams at the beginning and end of each season and have had it covered with a "waterproof" cover each year. It's stored in a spot that's free of any debris falling on it.
When I uncovered in April all was fine. I've been out 4 times this year.
Two weeks ago I noticed some water on the floor. I looked up and saw there were drops on the (interior) roof panel. I immediately made an appointment with a place that specializes in water detection/repair. They found 7 very small spots where water was getting in. They took care of that, but when they dropped the ceiling panel....UGHHHHH. The insulation was drenched. The back of the panel is wet, but I think/hope can be dried out and kept.

My question for the experts: the roof wood and supports are damp....not warped, not peeling/flaking etc. There is not any visible mold. The shop guy said it will ok, once he has the dryers on it for a few days. Thoughts on whether this will be ok or am I faced with having the rubber roof removed and new wood put in....do it now or wait and see?
Thanks
Musicman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #2

I would agree with the shop guy. Sounds like you caught it early. Just use fans and get it good and dry. I don't know where the leaks were but when we had our 2013 145RB in 2018 I used Eternabond on the front metal to roof seams and down both sides of the roof to wall seams. Also take a look at the the front window. We got caught driving in a severe rain and the front window leaked. I taped off the window frame and adjacent siding and sealed it with dicor clear. Never had a problem again.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:37 PM   #3

Sounds like you got to the damage in time. Shop drying it out is good. I would trust the shop recommendation. Most Important is if the wood has started to rot. If you can get to it yourself, poke at it with a screw driver or whatever and if its soft; thats a case for concern. Try to get to the top side of the wood (by roof) to poke around.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:29 AM   #4

It was all through the roof vent. Although the seam “appeared” tight, there were a number of points around the seal that were leaking. This is definitely a Jayco issue. It got in there then just flowed frontward.
I opted for the “just dry it out and button it back up
He updated me and said the wood seems to be in good shape.
Thanks for the response
Old 07-15-2021, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
Sounds like you got to the damage in time. Shop drying it out is good. I would trust the shop recommendation. Most Important is if the wood has started to rot. If you can get to it yourself, poke at it with a screw driver or whatever and if its soft; thats a case for concern. Try to get to the top side of the wood (by roof) to poke around.
As noted above, I’m opting to just let the thing dry out.
The tech said although the wood was wet, it’s still solid and believes it should be ok. He said once it’s completely dried out he will apply some type of anti-mold or anti-fungal spray that will prevent that problem from forming.
He did tell me something interesting. He said in the past 4-5 years, people are buying brand new TT’s and driving them from dealer lot directly to his place and he’s finding anywhere from 1 to 4 spots that are seam or seal compromised. Brand new RV’s..!!!!! He did comment that I probably had small leaks right from the get-go .
I would never have thought of doing that but I will surely do that if/when I buy a new one.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Jayco, too
Old 07-15-2021, 05:48 AM   #6

No different from a stick built house when inspections are done.
If the wood is solid your GTG IMO.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman24 View Post
he’s finding anywhere from 1 to 4 spots that are seam or seal compromised. Brand new RV’s..!!!!! He did comment that I probably had small leaks right from the get-go .
I have a 2021 145RB and while up on the roof installing a solar panel I noticed a 1/4" spot on the Solar Cable Entry Plate that was missing the Dicor sealant. I added sealant while I was sealing the solar panel mounting hardware. I plan on inspecting the roof every Spring when I uncover the trailer.

Jay Flight SLX 7 145RB
scloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scloyd View Post
I have a 2021 145RB and while up on the roof installing a solar panel I noticed a 1/4" spot on the Solar Cable Entry Plate that was missing the Dicor sealant. I added sealant while I was sealing the solar panel mounting hardware. I plan on inspecting the roof every Spring when I uncover the trailer.
Good idea....and I had been doing that, as I stated above. But now I will bring my TT to this guy at the start of each season and pay the $150.00 for the leak test. I wish I knew before.....
Old 07-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #9

****UPDATE****
ok great news. The job is all done. The roof wood is fine and uncompromised. The support beams etc are good as well. It was only the bottom 1/2 of the insulation that got wet. The shop kept drying fans on it for 3 days, to make sure , but only need a day to dry it out.
Even the roof panel is fine. So, some new insulation was all it needed. They did the pressure/leak test after it was back together and its completely water tight!!!
This is great news. I was fearful of the bad news!!
Thanks for all who responded.!