Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 12:14 PM   #1

2018 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHDS Power Awning Issues

Hi Gang,

I am having an awning issue, mine is stuck fully out. I am being told there a few hex bolts that can be removed and than manually put back in. Does or has anyone experianced this process?

At this moment I don't know if it is a dead motor or a power issue. I plan to bring a volt meter to my seasonal site tomorrow to test. I spoke to the local Jayco dealer but they don't have a moble service department I guess. I found another deal that is coming in June but don't want to risk wind causing damage.

Is this a big job to replace? no warranty. so, if I can buy and swap myself I plan to.
Moto822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #2

Long shot here, but do you have a touchscreen device in your rig? If so, did you put your awning out with the touchscreen device and then try and bring it back in with regular switches? I haven't kept up with what's in newer units, but in my 2017, if you put it out with a remote, then bring it back in with a remote - if you turned it on with a remote, turn it off with a remote...
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #3

Hey @whiteox,

No I don’t use the remote but actually before I left the camper I checked that to see if it was possible something in the switch. No go.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:28 AM   #4

If you bought your rig new, it SHOULD have come with an information packet that had all the literature to go with certain appliances - the awning being one. That literature for the awning would have details on how to manually retract it.

Without a manufacture / model number, it's difficult for others to help out without actually seeing it. Sorry.
AUH #3220
Old 05-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

I had that happen. I took the cover off where the wiring goes to the motor on the end of the arm.

I adjusted the connections to be sure they were good and that fixed it.
Low Key Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:51 PM   #6

So, I went back up and hooked directly to it and it worked so I know it’s not the motor. I also tested the switch and the switch had power. I next need to start tracing the wire to find the fault.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:21 PM   #7

If your awning is like the many I see anymore, the motor is in the roller, yes? And if it is, then the wiring will follow the arms that attach it to the camper. in those arms are usually some plastic inserts that are there usually to cover the wiring. Inside one of those covers is likely a 2 conductor connector - much like the old flat 4 trailer connectors, but a flat 2. Hopefully your problem is as simple as a connector that has come undone.
AUH #3220
Old 05-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #8

@whiteox - I believe you are correct, this will be a case of beer fix next weekend. Planned to trace the wires to see if I can find where it's broke.