Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 05:09 AM   #21

We have a 2017 and have been very happy with it. The top bunk poses a challenge to get in for our adult children and we're looking at ladders. I tow it with a 2016 F150 with the 3.5 eco. As long as I have enough TW and extra weight in the bed of the truck, it does okay. On short trips without a lot of weight, it's uncomfortable to tow above 50 mph.
Buzzbait3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #22

I'm a brand new owner of a 2018 267bhsw and our first Jayco. Previously had a Coleman pup and a Shamrock 21ss (same as a Roo) hybrid.

I have two questions. The first question is in regards to a switch by the dinette; one controls the dinette light, the sconce light, and the puck above couch. The other? No idea! Can anyone enlighten me?

Second question is in regards to the slide. When retracted, should it be level with the trailer floor or not? Mine seems to somewhat "float" about an inch and a half above the floor when retracted and our Roo was not like that...

Thanks in advance!

Puzzled in Colorado
ColoJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #23

ColoJayco - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new unit. The floor slide will normally sit an inch or two above the floor when retracted. I am careful not to walk or stand on the slide edge when it is retracted. The light switch is a mystery. I have two switches associated with the slide on my tt. One controls the light above the dinette and the other controls the sconce track lighting that is on the inside top of the slide. Your one switch seems to control both (or all three in your case). Does the extra switch control an outlet somewhere?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
ColoJayco - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new unit. The floor slide will normally sit an inch or two above the floor when retracted. I am careful not to walk or stand on the slide edge when it is retracted. The light switch is a mystery. I have two switches associated with the slide on my tt. One controls the light above the dinette and the other controls the sconce track lighting that is on the inside top of the slide. Your one switch seems to control both (or all three in your case). Does the extra switch control an outlet somewhere?
Thank you, mmwhit.

There IS an outlet under the table nearest this mystery switch... I will have to check that!

Thanks for the answer on the slide... This was definitely not the way the slide retracted on my old 21ss Roo; that retracted to level with the floor not hovering above it like this 267 bhsw does. I had a serious panic that this was an issue with the slide not completely retracting. I still feel this odd in that I know some people overnight w/o slide extension. Does anyone know if this can be stepped on, sit in dinette, couch, etc.. in retracted mode?
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #25

ColoJayco, you might also check to see if the switch controls an outside light. It most likely controls power to something, you just need to figure out what! The slide edge that is further inside the trailer, the inside edge, is the part of the slide that will be sitting high when the slide is retracted (in). I suggest to be careful how you step on that edge because it is possible to damage it if you place too much stress on it. I have stepped on mine several times on accident and nothing happened, but the way it is up off the floor can produce more of a mechanical leverage where your weight might do some damage to the slide. On this forum there are differing opinions on whether you can sit in the slide when it is retracted. I don’t know the answer. However, I have had several people sitting on dinning seats in a retracted slide on several occasions without any negative side effects. Unless your manual specifically says not to use the slide while it is retracted then I say the call is up to you whether you want to use the slide while it is retracted. Again, I don’t know the correct answer for that question.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
ColoJayco, you might also check to see if the switch controls an outside light. It most likely controls power to something, you just need to figure out what! The slide edge that is further inside the trailer, the inside edge, is the part of the slide that will be sitting high when the slide is retracted (in). I suggest to be careful how you step on that edge because it is possible to damage it if you place too much stress on it. I have stepped on mine several times on accident and nothing happened, but the way it is up off the floor can produce more of a mechanical leverage where your weight might do some damage to the slide. On this forum there are differing opinions on whether you can sit in the slide when it is retracted. I don’t know the answer. However, I have had several people sitting on dinning seats in a retracted slide on several occasions without any negative side effects. Unless your manual specifically says not to use the slide while it is retracted then I say the call is up to you whether you want to use the slide while it is retracted. Again, I don’t know the correct answer for that question.
mmwhit,

Thank you again for at least the peace of mind that mine is not the only one with a big lip when retracted! As you stated, that "possibility" of the kids jumping on that means to me one thing: Slide's out or the kids are, lol. Thank you again for the information and the sanity check.

I'll now begin my mystery switch investigation...
Old 01-31-2018, 04:32 AM   #27

That "float" of the slide floor had me concerned as well. However, I have inadvertently stepped on it a number of times while retracted and no harm done to this point. I wouldn't go so far as to let the kids have a field day in there while it is retracted, but it has held up to my 185lbs.

We love the unit. I only wish there was a solution for the lower bunk airflow issue.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroy71 View Post
We have the 2015 version just like in the picture in the top of this thread and love it. We've made a few modifications to it like putting in a larger rear storage compartment door, put in a sliding window above the kitchen sink. Bought both the window and the door from Jayco and had them professionally installed so they wouldn't leak. Next I might put on a power jack. All three mods were done for less than buying the next higher model that had those. I'm pulling it with an F150 3.5EB and have no trouble. For the price, its been and excellent purchase.
Any tutorials on how to replace the windows? I have put new Windows in a house, but I feel housing material leaves a little more room for "oopsies, I will paint over that or caulk over it".
Kravchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2tiger View Post
That "float" of the slide floor had me concerned as well. However, I have inadvertently stepped on it a number of times while retracted and no harm done to this point. I wouldn't go so far as to let the kids have a field day in there while it is retracted, but it has held up to my 185lbs.

We love the unit. I only wish there was a solution for the lower bunk airflow issue.
Thank you for the info, K2 Tiger. Much appreciated.