Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2022, 08:09 AM   #1

2018 Trailer - 4th water pump

In 2018 I bought a 2018 Jayco 23RBM JayFeather. The original water pump leaked when we took a shower while on city water. The same problem has occurred 4 times now. The original was replaced by the dealership while my TT was under warranty. The next unit was replaced by a certified independent technician (who I trust a 1000 times more than the dealership repair shop). Now the SAME problem is occurring and a different certified technician is saying I need another (4th ) water pump. There has to be another problem since we are always hooked up to city water and the leak only occurs after we take a shower. We never use the pump and at this point I am considering taking it out all together.

Any constructive solutions? I cannot afford to replace the water pump every 3rd quarter of a year.

Thank you. Rose
rbsheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #2

Are you using a pressure regulator? What is it set at?
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:29 AM   #3

Do you use a water pressure regulator? Perhaps the water pressure from the city water supply is too high. ~CA
Old 05-15-2022, 08:44 AM   #4

Where is the pump leaking? Is it the check valve, check valves can be rebuilt. An external check valve can be added.

What is the water pressure at the various CG's. These rigs are not made to the same standards as a house. Best to use an external water pressure regulator. The good ones are adjustable, and keep it set below 50 psi.

As for needing a pump, if you are always at a CG with water you could remove it, or even add a shutoff valve to isolate the pump from the main line.

Personal at minimum get a pressure regulator and use it on the hose bib, to reduce your inbound water pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Press...s%2C156&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Reotemp-Press...%2C152&sr=8-16

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:51 AM   #5

Yes. It is set at 50. We had reduced it but then the pressure was too low. Another question is: where is the water coming from? We keep the fresh water tank empty.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Where is the pump leaking? Is it the check valve, check valves can be rebuilt. An external check valve can be added.

What is the water pressure at the various CG's. These rigs are not made to the same standards as a house. Best to use an external water pressure regulator. The good ones are adjustable, and keep it set below 50 psi.

As for needing a pump, if you are always at a CG with water you could remove it, or even add a shutoff valve to isolate the pump from the main line.

Personal at minimum get a pressure regulator and use it on the hose bib, to reduce your inbound water pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Press...s%2C156&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Reotemp-Press...%2C152&sr=8-16

Is the hose bib at the tap or before the water goes in the camper? I thought the last repair person placed a shut off valve on the line. Still don't know where the water is coming from since we do not keep water in the fresh water tank. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #7

I agree with the pressure regulator question. If you are using one is it the same one used for all 4 pumps? Maybe a defective regulator. Just on a side note,I have always hooked the regulator to the water outlet not the trailer. The pressure is regulated before the hose.Less of a chance you will blow the hose out.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 03:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsheba View Post
(snip)Still don't know where the water is coming from since we do not keep water in the fresh water tank. Thank you.
If your pump can pump water without water in the tank, it must be leaking from the city water supply, through the check valve in the pump. During the manufacturing process they drill holes into the tank and plastic bits go into the tank and foul the pump. FloJet pumps can be equipped with a coarse filter for the inlet for that very reason.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, pump, water, water pump

« Sparks | No power »