Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

2018 X23F winterizing question.

Hi all

I’ve checked my owners manual but can’t seem to find where they hide the plumbing taps I need to turn to winterize my X23F. All the manual says is “near the hot water tank”. Now there is a small panel cover near the heater with 4 screws holding it closed. Before I go exploring, does anyone know whether this would be where the line taps would be?

Thanks.
OttawaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Hi Bob,

You will need to gain access to the back side of your hot water heater. I am not sure where yours is located in your trailer. If there is an access panel in a cabinet near it like you say then that would be a good place to start looking. The valves have to be right up close to the tanks or you could have trouble getting the water out when you drain the heater.

There should be a valve on the inlet to the heater and a valve on the outlet with a pipe linking the inlet and outlet together. The link pipe may have valve in it as well.

Turn the valves on the inlet and outlet to the tank so that whatever handle is on the valves is 90 from the direction of the pipes. Turn the 3rd valve if equipped so that the handle on valve points in the same direction of the pipe.

At that point you should be ok to run your antifreeze through your pipes. Make sure to remember drain your hot water heater when you are done.

I hope this helps.
NOTAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

I too do not have the 23F, but all the tt's are fairly simular.

For the water heater, the valves usually are right behind it. So locate it outside, then go inside to that spot. They always need a #2 square drive screw drive to access the area. Depending on your configuration, you can access it from above if it is hidden in a dinnette area, or you need to open a false panel front. In my case, it is in my dinnette booth, so I remove a cushion remove one screw, which never got reinstalled, so I now have easy access any time.

The regular plumbing low point brains are usually under the bathroom sink. Open the lower cabinet door, and reach your hand into the tiny access port, and pull up on the Tee handle valves. I hated that little hand access, so I removed the panel, now I can see what I access doing.

The water pump, is probably sitting on the floor, right below where your gravity fill port is. For me, it's under the frig, behind another cabinet door behind another false panel, that I removed. If you cannot find it, turn on the pump and listen for it. It will be hidden too.

Just an fyi, your water pump and water heat probably will have a three way valves, verses the older tt's that have multiple valves.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaBob View Post
Hi all

I’ve checked my owners manual but can’t seem to find where they hide the plumbing taps I need to turn to winterize my X23F. All the manual says is “near the hot water tank”. Now there is a small panel cover near the heater with 4 screws holding it closed. Before I go exploring, does anyone know whether this would be where the line taps would be?

Thanks.
In my X213 it's under the rear seat in the dinette, and the pump and antifreeze sucker hose is under the front seat. Both panels had screws originally, but I left them out as they really didn't do anything useful. If yours is like mine, the manual says to close two valves and open one, but mine only has 2.

I turn both valves next to the heater (that switches it to bypass the heater without needing a third one), then open the one on the sucker hose next to the pump. I stick the hose in a bottle of RV antifreeze, then turn on the pump and cycle the faucets sequentially until I get a good flow. That puts antifreeze down into the traps in the drains too, and anyplace in the system where water might settle.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
In my X213 it's under the rear seat in the dinette, and the pump and antifreeze sucker hose is under the front seat. Both panels had screws originally, but I left them out as they really didn't do anything useful. If yours is like mine, the manual says to close two valves and open one, but mine only has 2.

I turn both valves next to the heater (that switches it to bypass the heater without needing a third one), then open the one on the sucker hose next to the pump. I stick the hose in a bottle of RV antifreeze, then turn on the pump and cycle the faucets sequentially until I get a good flow. That puts antifreeze down into the traps in the drains too, and anyplace in the system where water might settle.

Well I remove the panel and this is what I found. I’m a bit confused because I only see one tap where I expected to find about three. Any ideas?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaBob View Post
Well I remove the panel and this is what I found. I’m a bit confused because I only see one tap where I expected to find about three. Any ideas?
Newer models only have the one valve and the others have been replaced with one way anti-back up valves. Turn it the other way to bypass your water heater.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Newer models only have the one valve and the others have been replaced with one way anti-back up valves. Turn it the other way to bypass your water heater.

You’re kidding!!! One tap! Great!