Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

2019 Jay Feather 27BH - Converter, Charger, Inverter ?!?!?!

Hello Everyone,

First time RV owner here and I am trying to learn as much info as possible before our first outing in early April...

Anyway, I have looked online and through this form but does anyone have good source that explains converters, inverters and/or chargers?!?!?! I think my head is going to explode trying to figure it all out!!!!

Battery wise, our trailer came with an Interstate HD24-DP, and I'm going to buy an identical battery so we should have around 120 amp hours when fully charged.

I got a really good deal on a Champion dual fuel inverter generator, 3400W so I'll have that to charge the batteries when needed.

So, I guess my specific questions, other than wanting to have a better general understanding of this all are:

1) What are the benefits to having an inverter?

2) I think the trailer comes with a converter/charger (is that true? and does anyone know what brand/type?), and if so, is it "good enough"?

3) When using the generator to charge the batteries, what is the best way to accomplish this? Just plug the shore power cord into the generator and let the on-board charger take care of it? Or should I bring my charger/maintainer along to charge them?

4) Can someone recommend a good "system" so I can "view/keep tabs on" my batteries (charge level, ect...)?

Sorry for such a long post... If you came along this far I appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!!
Kevin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
An inverter changes 12 volt battery power into 120 volt. But you need as minimum for a 2000 watt a couple of deep cycle batteries of group 27 or 2- 6 volt golf-kart batteries in series. It means have about 200 amps available. Since you have your generator you are able to run your A/C or microwave simultaneously. So the inverter is handy with solar or short stops on the road for the microwave or during off grid.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin80 View Post
2) I think the trailer comes with a converter/charger (is that true? and does anyone know what brand/type?), and if so, is it "good enough"?
Converters operate opposite from an inverter. They "convert" 120vac to 12vdc. The 12vdc output from the converter charges your batteries and also, in parallel with your batteries, provides power to all the 12vdc devices in your trailer. It performs both functions at the same time.

Take a look inside your power center (contains the 12vdc fuses and 120vac breakers) to see what kind of converter you have. Chances are it's a Progressive Dynamics. PD's are excellent units and will charge and maintain your batteries just fine. If you happen to have a WFCO converter, it'll also do a decent job of maintaining your batteries. However, when your batteries are significantly depleted WFCO's tend to take longer to charge them (WFCO's rarely go into 14.4v bulk mode).

Quote:
3) When using the generator to charge the batteries, what is the best way to accomplish this? Just plug the shore power cord into the generator and let the on-board charger take care of it? Or should I bring my charger/maintainer along to charge them?
The converter doesn't care whether you're on shore or generator power---works the same either way. Most of the newer TT's have 40-60 amp, 3 & 4 stage "smart" converters (chargers) which monitor your battery and adjust charge modes/voltages automatically. Odds are the converter in your TT will do a much better and faster job of charging your batteries than the typical generic charger/maintainer you buy for less than $100.

Quote:
4) Can someone recommend a good "system" so I can "view/keep tabs on" my batteries (charge level, ect...)?
One of the better devices for monitoring your battery (and current usage) is a Trimetric.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote