Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #1

2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 298BH

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted but I wanted to share the good news. We just put a deposit down on a brand new 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 298BH. I got it for 61% of MSRP after some haggling. The economy and it being already a year old really worked in our favor! We've been saving for a couple of years and paying cash, so not much of a financial risk.

We are really excited to be upgrading from our 2013 Jayco Jay 1206 popup. We loved towing it and that it can store in the garage, but setup and minimal storage was getting a little old. We almost never setup the awning because it was such a pain, we were rarely at the campsite all day, and once I found it on the roof when we came back to the site! We are selling the 1206 privately online so hopefully it sells quickly so we can take delivery of the new unit.

We almost got a 2020 Jayco 264BH but when we saw the 298BH we fell in love. It's about 2 foot longer and just a little heavier (dry 5280, GVWR 6250), but still well within the weight limits of my 2014 Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab. I'd be towing about about 75% capacity with plenty of cargo capacity left over after subtracting passengers and tongue weight (CCC on my truck is 1712). I don't typically put much in the bed besides 2 kids bikes and some kindling to get a fire going. Coming from a popup we are not "heavy" packers. I'm getting an Equilizer WHD from my Dad who only used it for 1 year before upgrading to a 5th wheel. It's a 1400lbs head so more than I need, but I'd rather be safer than sorry. Here's the specs if you are interested since it's not available on the Jayco website anymore.

We like the extra storage on this floor plan. It has many more cabinets than the 264BH. We also like that the couch faces a 40" TV. We won't watch it often, but for week long trips and bad weather it will be helpful with the kids. I think we will get a lot of use out of the outside kitchen as well.

I'm already planning some mods (based on ideas I've seen posted here--thank you everyone!):
-Medicine cabinet in bathroom rather than just a mirror (ordering from Jayco)
-Doors for the ends of the dinette seats (ordering from Jayco)
-Reinforce under the master bed and build divider to separate outside storage compartment (probably add some insulation too!)
-Black tank sprayer (I'm leaning toward the No-Fuss Flush)
-Sewer hose carrier (keeps the bumper cleaner)
-LP tank cover
-Husky electric tongue jack
-Fold away grab handle for entry door
-Mounting a receiver on the tongue to store the WHD when at the campground
-TV and mount
-Replacing the WH drain plug with the hose extension and valve
-Stabilizer jacks in the center right before the wheels
-Lock arm stabilizing arms
-Peel and stock backsplash for kitchen to dress it up a little
-Dimmer for awning light
-Furrion rear and side marker light cameras for safety when traveling and backing
-Extra towel bars in the bathroom
-Command hooks for jackets
-I'm also going to make a laundry rack that attaches to the bumper out of conduit. My dad did this in the 80s and it worked better than what you can find the the stores and much cheaper.
I'm going to take a few years to get through this list, but if anyone has other ideas I'm all ears!

I'm wondering if anyone else owns this floor plan. It was only made for 1 year so it was tough to find reviews but I do like everything about it over the 264BH. I'd be interested in reading reviews of those who own one.

Happy Camping Everyone,

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new camper! I think that is one of the nicest no slide floor plans I have seen. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:57 AM   #3

We ha e a 294qbs. Same year. Happy with it so far. First thing I have done was put a sewer hose holder underneath from a piece of fence post. The bumper is too small even if you wanted to go that route.

I pull mine with a 1/2 ton. 2018 Silverado. Does fine but I did install a derale transmission cooler that has been helpful, and put my mind at ease a bit. Afternoon install for less than 100 bucks and keeps my temps below 200 even when hauling up and over on I 64 through Shenandoah.
I ha e thought about getting oem tow mirrors for Silverado and swapping mine but they are north of 500 . I have checked pick apart sites but no luck. In the meantime I bought some slip on tow mirrors that have been great for the cost. I think a round 50? Not sure which trim package your truck is as far as mirrors are concerned.

I have a wireless break controller and love it rather than having to install a break control under the dash. Would fully recommend it as well.

See you out there
1/2greatoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Congratulations on your new camper! I think that is one of the nicest no slide floor plans I have seen. Jay
Jay,

That's what we thought too. We really liked the idea of a no slide camper since it has less maintenance and is much lighter to tow. It's about as heavy as I'd want to tow with my half ton. This floor plan is a nice compromise between the 264BH and the 267BHS.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2greatoutdoors View Post
We ha e a 294qbs. Same year. Happy with it so far. First thing I have done was put a sewer hose holder underneath from a piece of fence post. The bumper is too small even if you wanted to go that route.

I pull mine with a 1/2 ton. 2018 Silverado. Does fine but I did install a derale transmission cooler that has been helpful, and put my mind at ease a bit. Afternoon install for less than 100 bucks and keeps my temps below 200 even when hauling up and over on I 64 through Shenandoah.
I ha e thought about getting oem tow mirrors for Silverado and swapping mine but they are north of 500 . I have checked pick apart sites but no luck. In the meantime I bought some slip on tow mirrors that have been great for the cost. I think a round 50? Not sure which trim package your truck is as far as mirrors are concerned.

I have a wireless break controller and love it rather than having to install a break control under the dash. Would fully recommend it as well.

See you out there
The 294QBS is a nice floor plan, particularly if you have more than two kids. We're only going to have our twin boys, but having extra beds for friends is nice. Too heavy for my truck, though.

I'm definitely putting a sewer hose carrier under the frame. I only wish they came with them. Hate the idea of drilling into the frame to install one.

We are planning on putting an aux. transmission cooler on the truck too. This year we will stay in Illinois and Wisconsin, so no serious hills to worry about so temps will most likely stay low, but I'll keep an extra close eye on them. I might end up putting it on sooner than I planned.

I've seen a few threads about installing aftermarket permanent towing mirrors on the truck. I like the idea, but don't have the cash for it right now, so the CIPA mirrors will have to do for now. If I'm able to get them, I'll have to see about getting power folding as my garage is very narrow.

My truck has an OEM brake controller built in, which I use on the popup we are currently selling. I'll keep using it for this trailer too.

Thanks for replying!

Old 05-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #6

Mixed Feelings: Out With the Old--In With the New

We sold the Jayco 1206 popup last night to a nice, young family who were so excited to get back into camping. I was excited for them and spent a lot of time showing them the features. He said this unit was so much better than their old one from several years ago. He even called it the Cadillac of popups, although that was probably a little overboard. I was cool with it all, until I saw him hook up to "my" camper and pull away with it. I won't lie, it was hard to see her go as we had a lot of good times, but I know I'll have many more good times with the Jayco 298BH that I pickup next week Friday. I can't wait!

Tags
264bh, 298bh