Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

2019 WhiteHawk 28ft

Anyone having this problem ??? Every trip we break a spring hanger now 3 have been rewelded. Of course breaks are happening in the middle of nowhere’s lane on Friday or Sat. So no RV place within miles. We have to find a mobile welder to help! I’m done!
We are just traveling on I 40 west not running over 60 mph so what’s the problem crappy workman ship on a new unit!! I’m done!!!
Help
Jrwseawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #2

No, but sensing your frustration. There is a reason they are breaking. A truck or trailer repair shop might get you better results than an RV dealer's service department.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #3

That is really frustrating for sure!

I'm wondering what other evidence might there be to hint at the root problem. Is it the same hanger location, or same side of trailer, or is the problem showing up on both sides? I'm also wondering how do the leaf springs and axles look to you (properly curved, or flat)? Are the tires wearing oddly?
Old 01-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #4

Many people replace the stock hangers and bushing bolts with heavy duty kits and pins with grease fittings. The stock ones are thin crap and have plastic liners which wear out before you get home. Trailer supply places online sell kits to do them all....takes a couple of days. I will be doing mine.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:30 PM   #5

Sounds like something is severely out of alignment, in the original install of the hangers. I would measure front/rear to all hangers on both sides to see if any difference. A twisting effect?

Or perhaps the hanger metal used is sub-standard?
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #6

Same axle first one was the right second was the left. Tires are not wearing yet. New tires this trip.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:43 PM   #7

Tires good so far new tires. First spring hanger was right real axle. 2nd is the left rear axle
Old 01-08-2022, 06:59 AM   #8

At the risk of sounding like I am questioning you, is the trailer level or lifted in the front on the TV?
Old 01-08-2022, 09:22 AM   #9

I would definitely take it to a commercial trailer repair shop and have them look at it. They will do a better job than a rv repair shop.

The roads these days are rough and these trailers bounce so much. Make sure you are not overloading it also.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:28 PM   #10

Level
Old 01-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #11

It sounds to me that whoever welded the hangers onto the frame at the factory did not get good weld penetration. I would definitely second what others have said & take it to a good truck/trailer/spring repair shop & have them check all the welds. Would not be a bad idea to have them install a "wet pin kit" & heavy duty shackles at the same time since they probably have to take it apart to correct the welds.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:59 PM   #12

Shackle bolts have torque requirements. Any chance they weren't done right, you may want to go in...loosen a bit and then put 85 lbs to them (9/16" bolts) and then back off about 10 degrees. Wet or dry.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klook View Post
Many people replace the stock hangers and bushing bolts with heavy duty kits and pins with grease fittings. The stock ones are thin crap and have plastic liners which wear out before you get home. Trailer supply places online sell kits to do them all....takes a couple of days. I will be doing mine.
Not sure what you mean by “many people”.
I probably know close to 25 people w campers and no one has done anything like you mentioned.
There’s something wrong down there .
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:02 PM   #14

Some trailer frames do not have enough meat to support much stress. You may be interested in fixes that beef up the area such as described here; https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/forum/welding-projects-conversations-by-community/off-road-trucks/36154-travel-trailer-spring-hanger-repair
P.Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #15
eow

2019 WhiteHawk 28ft

Are you making a sharp turn on concrete, possibly to park the trailer at home?

If so, consider adding MorRyde X-Factor braces to help with the suspension twist that occurs in that situation and thereby puts high loads on the hangers.

Also, if you have not done so already, balance your tires. Some tires can be off a lot and induce fatigue failure in the vulnerable weld heat effected area of the hangers.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrwseawolfe View Post
Anyone having this problem ??? Every trip we break a spring hanger now 3 have been rewelded. Of course breaks are happening in the middle of nowhere’s lane on Friday or Sat. So no RV place within miles. We have to find a mobile welder to help! I’m done!
We are just traveling on I 40 west not running over 60 mph so what’s the problem crappy workman ship on a new unit!! I’m done!!!
Help
Not sure but could you be over your weight limit possibly?
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by klook View Post

Are you talking shackles and wet bolts?

OP was talking hangers...

Wondering? Or am I missing something?
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:07 PM   #18
Site Team

We had the wet bolts, bronze bushings and thicker side plates done on our TT not long ago. I like the ability to lubricate the suspension.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrwseawolfe View Post
Help
-----------
Only when hitting something really hard.
One on a utility trailer.
One on a travel trailer, but it tore the frame piece... the hanger stayed welded to it.
Seems like a welding shop to check all of them...you haven't got many left to do.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:13 PM   #20

Springs breaking

Maybe spring equalizer between the axle would prevent this problem Equa-Flex Cushioned Equalizers - Double Eye Springs - Tandem Axle - 5.2K
This provides a better cushion between the axle springs
Also could check axle alignment using measure tape
Or take your problem to the Jayco factory in Indiana
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote