Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2020, 09:22 AM   #1

2020 245RLS Built so poorly it was dangerous.

I've been meaning to post this for a while but I was busy finding more issues to fix.

1. Black and gray tanks missing screws, screws with broken heads and screws not completely screwed in.
Black tank had 9 screws missing/broken total.
Gray tank had 4.

2. Hot Brake wire stripped for over an inch immediately adjacent to bare neutral.

3. Light wiring not crimped. My lights went out I went to find out what was wrong and just touched the wire that is missing and it fell out.
I redid all of the crimps because they all came out when moved.

4. unsecure/disconnected wiring flopping around under coroplast.

5. Rust above and below coroplast. RV was covered in salt. Both dealer and Jayco refused to fix it. It covered most everything I can't get enough pics to show how bad it was.

6. Propane hose was rubbing on bracket. This wear into the hose was only after it's 80 mile drive to my house.

7. Propane refrigerator connection, this was recalled because of improper instalation. I checked it out and the propane connection was twisted almost 45 degrees because they didn't use a second wrench to counter the force. I fixed it before taking a picture.

8. Spray foam sealing holes. This is so bad it's almost a joke, not even near the hole it was the same for most of their sprayfoam.

9. Outdoor shower doesn't latch. If I had bandwidth I'd upload the video I'll just have to show my fix. The lock didn't hold the shower door closed, a gust of wind would open it leaving my shower hose to dangle out. I had to use 2 cabinet latches to get it to stay closed.

10. We're 2 weeks into our vacation and the wall in the bedroom started separating. The left side is hanging out about 1/4" past the right side.

I'm pretty sure I forgot some things.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #2

The forum made me remove these since it was over 10 images.

more of the rust under and over coroplast.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:21 PM   #3

Holy cow that is bad. Doesn't anyone QC these things a) when they leave the factory and b) before the dealer delivers the goods to the end user???

Do yourself a favor and double check the water inlet hose from the exterior to the freshwater tank. Mine was clearly too short for the job and was just jammed in there - when I tried to fill my fresh water tank for the first time the water blew all over the interior of my trailer. Had to get a length of hose and some worm gear hose clamps to repair the issue. (and dry everything out as well).

Wiring is par for the course, I had to enclose everything in split loom tubing. I also had to reroute my propane line and add grommets to protect it from touch points along the frame.

Good times.
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKABC View Post
Holy cow that is bad. Doesn't anyone QC these things a) when they leave the factory and b) before the dealer delivers the goods to the end user???

Do yourself a favor and double check the water inlet hose from the exterior to the freshwater tank. Mine was clearly too short for the job and was just jammed in there - when I tried to fill my fresh water tank for the first time the water blew all over the interior of my trailer. Had to get a length of hose and some worm gear hose clamps to repair the issue. (and dry everything out as well).

Wiring is par for the course, I had to enclose everything in split loom tubing. I also had to reroute my propane line and add grommets to protect it from touch points along the frame.

Good times.
I really don't think they care they know their competition is just as bad.
The sealant around everything on the outside has to be redone too. There's so many holes.
I'll check that hose. We seem to have a small leak on the pressurized side. Our water pump turns on for a second every hour or so with nothing on.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2bandit View Post
I've been meaning to post this for a while but I was busy finding more issues to fix.

7. Propane refrigerator connection, this was recalled because of improper instalation. I checked it out and the propane connection was twisted almost 45 degrees because they didn't use a second wrench to counter the force. I fixed it before taking
I'm wondering if that bad fridge propane connection was the cause of my 2020 267BHSW fridge fire I posted about on Sunday. We dropped ours off yesterday at the dealer and the service department confirmed our vin was part of the recall. Glad you found and fixed it.
Mike102P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike102P View Post
I'm wondering if that bad fridge propane connection was the cause of my 2020 267BHSW fridge fire I posted about on Sunday. We dropped ours off yesterday at the dealer and the service department confirmed our vin was part of the recall. Glad you found and fixed it.
It's very likely, the NTSB forced the recall so it had to be a big deal.

Not a big issue I just thought this was funny. my IRV remote had a plastic battery saver for the consumer to pull out... but there was no battery. I imagine there's an employee at Jayco Idaho hoarding 100's of cr2025 batterys.

Edit:
In the first post I miss-typed and said bare neutral, it's a bare ground.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200716_074137.jpg  

Fulltime Boondockers
2019 RAM Big Horn 1500 5.7 Hemi
2020 Jayflight SLX8 245RL Rocky mountain/ Baja
600w solar (+100 portable), 450 ah bank
Old 02-17-2021, 10:49 PM   #7

Unhappy Same sort of things with 2020 24RBS

We bought a 2020 24RBS - here are a few of the things we had issues with and had to repair/get repaired:

[*]Outdoor kitchen started leaking - repaired with PEX/SS Braided flex lines - their pex fittings were crimped and a couple leaked after pulling the kitchen out and back in a few times - leaked on the floor inside the rig by the fridge[*]Black tank had a rupture where the flush line enters the tank and leaked blue all over the ground in a campground - the dealer repaired it with a spinweld to patch the old hole and insert the flush line back in [*]The nut on the rear of the toilet was leaking - the nut connecting the pex to the back of the toilet was crossthreaded (I saw a couple of other threads by owners that had this same issue) - the factory just screwed in a screw to hold the pex line so they *thought* it would work and not leak - I took the screw out and screwed in the connecting nut correctly - problem solved[*]The side pieces on the queen front bed were only stapled in 3 places and the right side collapsed! I put in a few screws and nuts and repaired that - I can't believe how poorly made the bed platform is[*]The Norcold fridge would get cold then warm up on every trip - extremely frustrating - the dealer fixed that by relocating the Thermistor/Sensor inside - seems to have fixed it

Despite these we're pretty happy with the unit - I don't mind making things better than they were - I think our unit was made on whaever day of the week is the worst for quality
Sonpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:33 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Really makes me shake my head when i read these posts, and see the pictures! I've had many Jaycos , and have always been a Jayco fan, especially the Jayflight. When it first arrived on the market back in 2002, it was a "no frills" line of trailers for the family that didn't want to mortgage the farm to own a nice travel trailer. It was the right trailer, at the right time, quality was not 100%, no they were not perfect, but they were closer back than than what they are now. 1 reason, they didn't have a bunch of floor plans, so i believe they could concentrate on what they were building..... and not a bunch of "wow" frills to add to problems. Now, they have Jayflight, Jayflight SLX, Jayfeather, Whitehawk, Eagle ..... and thats just in Travel Trailers ..... gone are the best pop-ups in the industry. I have owned 7 Jayflights since the 2002, yes i owned the first year.... but since the Thor takeover, i have seen the quality really drop, and it's all just stupid, no brainer issues. Now some of my issues have been fridge and furnace, which Jayco can't control, but it's the little things....leaky water pipes, bare wiring, missing screws or screws that totally missed the mark. I also blame that on the dealers too.... they must have to do a PDI when the vehicle arrives, and the techs are missing the stuff (thank u flat rate). My 18 had so much rust underneath, the paint on the propane tank tray flakd right off.... i had to spend a saturday with a case of undercoating undercoating the complete frame. No reason for this crap, these frames should be coated from the factory....car companies do it, why cant the trailer builders.
i work for a GM dealer, will be 40 years in November, and i've witnessed some real crap, not just from GM, but from all the companies.... but what i have seen, is the quality of these vehicles go up 100%. We build great products, we have too. THATS THE PROBLEM WITH THE RV BUSINESS, THEY DONT HAVE TOO!
So, my suggestion to them, find a plant where one of the US automakers closed down, buy it, and have to men and women who lost their jobs go to work for you, and watch how they build a tin and wood box! Thats the problem, the work force in these plants suck....long gone are the dads who built trailers, now it's the sons who don't give a rats ass! Jayco, please come and build a plant here in Ontario, we'll be more than happy to give you a world class product!
Old 02-18-2021, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
Really makes me shake my head when i read these posts, and see the pictures! I've had many Jaycos , and have always been a Jayco fan, especially the Jayflight. When it first arrived on the market back in 2002, it was a "no frills" line of trailers for the family that didn't want to mortgage the farm to own a nice travel trailer. It was the right trailer, at the right time, quality was not 100%, no they were not perfect, but they were closer back than than what they are now. 1 reason, they didn't have a bunch of floor plans, so i believe they could concentrate on what they were building..... and not a bunch of "wow" frills to add to problems. Now, they have Jayflight, Jayflight SLX, Jayfeather, Whitehawk, Eagle ..... and thats just in Travel Trailers ..... gone are the best pop-ups in the industry. I have owned 7 Jayflights since the 2002, yes i owned the first year.... but since the Thor takeover, i have seen the quality really drop, and it's all just stupid, no brainer issues. Now some of my issues have been fridge and furnace, which Jayco can't control, but it's the little things....leaky water pipes, bare wiring, missing screws or screws that totally missed the mark. I also blame that on the dealers too.... they must have to do a PDI when the vehicle arrives, and the techs are missing the stuff (thank u flat rate). My 18 had so much rust underneath, the paint on the propane tank tray flakd right off.... i had to spend a saturday with a case of undercoating undercoating the complete frame. No reason for this crap, these frames should be coated from the factory....car companies do it, why cant the trailer builders.
i work for a GM dealer, will be 40 years in November, and i've witnessed some real crap, not just from GM, but from all the companies.... but what i have seen, is the quality of these vehicles go up 100%. We build great products, we have too. THATS THE PROBLEM WITH THE RV BUSINESS, THEY DONT HAVE TOO!
So, my suggestion to them, find a plant where one of the US automakers closed down, buy it, and have to men and women who lost their jobs go to work for you, and watch how they build a tin and wood box! Thats the problem, the work force in these plants suck....long gone are the dads who built trailers, now it's the sons who don't give a rats ass! Jayco, please come and build a plant here in Ontario, we'll be more than happy to give you a world class product!

Spot on!! Well said------

I have been working on my 5th wheel since Aug of last yr fixing things 40 hrs a week, I think I have just finished - I am 1 yr out of warranty , it was a mess -- ended up fixing most of the warranty repairs unreal--I am lucky I can build and fix things and have the tools to do it, and retired, I guess it gave me something to do during this Covid crap -- well just waiting for my shots then should be able to travel by this fall hoping .
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #10

This kind of workmanship should not be acceptable. Does anyone know if the dealer is compensated for the cost of PDI or just warranty work? Some dealers will cut corners to keep the profit margins up. I worked for a GM dealership for 35 years and have seen corners cut in the PDI dept.but if caught they would usually lose their job. I know very little about the RV business but it seem that there is a breakdown between the manufacturer and the dealership and it is the consumer that is getting burnt. It would be nice if the RV business was under the lemon laws that protect the automobile consumers, but we are to small of a group for the government to get involved. Until thing change i guess it's " buyer beware ".
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
You make a great point about quality improving 100% at GM. I suspect a big part of the improvement was driven by the high quality Japanese cars (Toyota especially!)
The RV industry will be in for a shock if the Japanese decide to get into the RV market.
Based on the way the RV market has expanded over the last couple of years (and the stock performance of Thor (THO) I can see new entrants in the field. That can only be a win for the consumers. IMHO
Old 02-20-2021, 02:20 AM   #12

Wow, is that a 2020 you got to be kidding.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:27 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
...... and you would think, since the Covid thing, and the prices on RV's skyrocketing at an incredible rate, you would get a better built trailer for the money! And they say companies arent taking advantage of the Virus! Go buy a 2x4 at local lumber yard!