Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2020, 05:51 PM   #1

2020 284bhok

Has anyone found it challenging to find camping spots with this size of trailer (35 ft)? How about when you go on road trips? I’m assuming you would want to pre-book as much as possible. Thanks.
Cdnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:08 PM   #2

I got a 44' Northpoint and that one is challenging, to a point. My previous trailer was a 40' Sierra and that was a little less challenging. I could get that into most spots. The one before that was a 34' Montana Mountaineer. I could get that into ANY spot, except tent only sites.
When we reserve spots we really don't go by equipment size. The site will be 50' long and the description will say it will fit up to a 40' trailer. I still fit our 44' on it. Never had an issue with park staff saying it's too big for the site, measuring the trailer, etc... Sometimes the challenging part comes in when you're trying to get thru the place. Turns not wide enough, tree limbs/branches too low or hanging out into the road... we have a local state park where we get a pull thru site yet have to go down the one way road the wrong way to utilize the pull thru and the site is at the opposite end of the park too. Lol! It's set up totally backwards but that the state Gov't cube farm people for ya.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #3

I am considering this floorpan (284BHOK) as our next trailer, and that is my only concern. It's not as big as they get, but it is big. And put that behind a Long Box Crew Cab truck and you have a seriously long rig with a bad turning radius...

I think it comes down to what type of camping you are seeking. If you are chasing the private RV parks with concrete pads and full hookups, it will be no problem. If you're wanting to tuck into scenic waterfront sites at provincial parks, you will be mostly out of luck.

The trailer I have now is a happy medium of those two types of camping and thus I have a hard time imagining anything else. The 284BHOK sure is an amazing floor plan though.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #4

Our 314BHDS is 38 feet. Truck is a crew cab short bed. And the hitch adds a foot or so too. We're knocking on 60 feet overall length.

I am always careful about where we are headed and what spot. Wherever we go we take notes on spots we like or dislike or can't fit in, for next time. If its a new campground we've never been to, I'll call and ask about the spots, get a site map and sometimes use Google maps satellite view to scout out the site and turns etc.

I will say that some campgrounds just don't understand how big 38-40 feet is. On more than one occasion we've had to ask the site office to relocate us because it just wasn't going to work. And in one instance, I shoe-horned us into a back-in that I should NOT have and ended up rubbing the awning on a tree. There was no maneuvering room. I learned my lesson that day.

Don't let me deter you though, we love our TT. I have no regrets about the length of it. But, be honest with how you'll use it. If you want to do spur-of-the-moment trips with minimal planning/reserving ahead, maybe consider shorter TT for ease of access and spot availability.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

I don't understand why they stopped making the 314BHDS in the Eagle HT line... also a tremendous family floor plan. I go back and forth between the 314 and the 284 with the main difference for us being whether there's a sealed off bunk room or not... sometimes it's nice to put the kids away in their "cage" at night and still have use of the main living area.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
I don't understand why they stopped making the 314BHDS in the Eagle HT line... also a tremendous family floor plan. I go back and forth between the 314 and the 284 with the main difference for us being whether there's a sealed off bunk room or not... sometimes it's nice to put the kids away in their "cage" at night and still have use of the main living area.
I agree. The 314 is a good layout, and we love ours. That said, I do have a couple gripes that I didn't discover until we had it for awhile.

1) There really isn't much counter space. I long for the island (and nook) of the 312BHOK.

2) The bunk house is great, and I love putting the moneys...uh, kids to bed, closing the door and they have their space. I just wish they didn't have as much space as they do. My wife, dog and I are crammed in the master bedroom wishing we had at least a half-slide and king size bed. Meanwhile the kids are spread out with tons of room! I think the new floorplans now have a king option (again, the 312BHOK), which would be a good start.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #7

We have the 280rsok. With my pickup it’s 57 feet long. I haven’t encountered anything I can’t get into, but I usually stay at places I’ve been to, and I am a truck driver so I’m used to maneuvering 53’ trailers. I do pre book because I always plug in, no dry camping here.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:29 PM   #8

Just bought the 2020 284bhok and no issues so far. It is a bit taller than my last coach. Thats my biggest concern.
Bruceanast is offline   Reply With Quote