Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #1

2020 Jayco 212QB, like it, don’t love it.

We bought a new 2020 Jayco Jayflight SLX8 212QB in September 2019. We did three weekend trips before it had to go to storage for the winter. In late January we pulled it out of storage and headed south. We’re been on the road about 5 weeks. While I like much about the trailer, there are a couple of things that have disappointed me. Number one is the bed. It is poorly engineered. There is no support on the top half of the bed. As a result, the screws holding the wood rails under the bed have started to pull through the plywood. We bought a folding stool and placed some blocks on it to support the upper half of the bed to prevent the bowing and hopefully to stop anymore screw from pulling through the plywood. And the mattress is of poor quality. Even after 3 weekend trips, there were already depressions in the mattress where we lay that did not spring back. I had a better mattress on a pop up we used to have. The next disappointment is the cushions on the dinette. Again poor quality, they flatten out and never spring back. My old pop up had better cushions. This Jayco has a two year warranty. We’ll be back home in a couple weeks. We’ll return to the dealer to see how much Jayco will do for us. I have a feeling I may have to pay for some improvements out of my own pocket.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

Can't speak too much about the bed frame. On my similarly built 23RB, I completely redid the bed frame by putting a partition between the interior under bed storage and the pass through. This may have helped some since there is a support across the top 1/3 of the bed frame. I also changed the hinge point for the under bed storage. Where it once hinged all the way up front, now it hinges at the point where the partition is.

As for the mattress, very few, if any, RV manufacturers put a quality mattress in an RV. I can actually understand why. A lot of different people like different style mattresses. If the RV maker put a high quality mattress, at additional expense to them, doesn't mean every one would like it, and those people would just change the mattress.

Anytime I get a new or even new to me RV, I plan on changing out the mattress. I got a new 9" memory foam mattress for my old Koala 21CS. When i sold it, I took it out and put it in my brand new Jayco 23RB. Never slept on the new mattress that came in the 23RB. I love the memory foam mattress, but if I had know better, I would have settled for a 7" mattress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabunga View Post
We bought a new 2020 Jayco Jayflight SLX8 212QB in September 2019. We did three weekend trips before it had to go to storage for the winter. In late January we pulled it out of storage and headed south. We’re been on the road about 5 weeks. While I like much about the trailer, there are a couple of things that have disappointed me. Number one is the bed. It is poorly engineered. There is no support on the top half of the bed. As a result, the screws holding the wood rails under the bed have started to pull through the plywood. We bought a folding stool and placed some blocks on it to support the upper half of the bed to prevent the bowing and hopefully to stop anymore screw from pulling through the plywood. And the mattress is of poor quality. Even after 3 weekend trips, there were already depressions in the mattress where we lay that did not spring back. I had a better mattress on a pop up we used to have. The next disappointment is the cushions on the dinette. Again poor quality, they flatten out and never spring back. My old pop up had better cushions. This Jayco has a two year warranty. We’ll be back home in a couple weeks. We’ll return to the dealer to see how much Jayco will do for us. I have a feeling I may have to pay for some improvements out of my own pocket.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #3

While we haven't had any problems with the bed, the mattress and dinette cushions definitely need improvement.

We bought a mattress pad that has helped: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still need to figure out a fix for the dinette cushions.

Other than those few inconveniences, we really like our unit. Plenty of room for the two of us yet short enough to get into most campgrounds.
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #4

The dinette cushions were pretty simple to fix. Went to the local foam store and bought a very firm, quality seat cushion, cut to size and put them back in the cushion cover.

My problem is how to get quality foam cushions that can fit the sofa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToones View Post
While we haven't had any problems with the bed, the mattress and dinette cushions definitely need improvement.

We bought a mattress pad that has helped: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other than those few inconveniences, we really like our unit. Plenty of room for the two of us yet short enough to get into most campgrounds.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
X2, this is what I did as well instead of replacing the mattress itself. Pretty comfy now.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
Can't speak too much about the bed frame. On my similarly built 23RB, I completely redid the bed frame by putting a partition between the interior under bed storage and the pass through. This may have helped some since there is a support across the top 1/3 of the bed frame. I also changed the hinge point for the under bed storage. Where it once hinged all the way up front, now it hinges at the point where the partition is.

As for the mattress, very few, if any, RV manufacturers put a quality mattress in an RV. I can actually understand why. A lot of different people like different style mattresses. If the RV maker put a high quality mattress, at additional expense to them, doesn't mean every one would like it, and those people would just change the mattress.

Anytime I get a new or even new to me RV, I plan on changing out the mattress. I got a new 9" memory foam mattress for my old Koala 21CS. When i sold it, I took it out and put it in my brand new Jayco 23RB. Never slept on the new mattress that came in the 23RB. I love the memory foam mattress, but if I had know better, I would have settled for a 7" mattress.
Thanks for the input. Many of the posts on here talk about reinforcing the bed, so that is probably in my future, as well as a different mattress.
chabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
Site Team

The bed frame is reinforceable, as many have done, and the mattress can be upgraded, like we did (to a memory foam), because the original one was a killer. One thing we all do is mod our campers to make it our own, and a better fit. I haven't noticed a problem with the dinette, but ours is much older.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #8

Like death and taxes, there are two certainties with our 212 QBW’s: A rock hard mattress and very flimsy bed support. We, too, picked up a 3” gel foam topper at Costco and found it perfect now. And I also reinforced the frame and divided the storage area. Several threads here offer details. As for the dinette seats, they aren’t terrible for us, but at some point I will replace the foam inside with better stuff. An easy fix. I did find the perfectly vertical seat backs are uncomfortable and came up with a fix to angle them a bit. Much better. Here’s the thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ack-71043.html . I hope you get past these deficiencies. We love our 212 QBW — now that the stupid things are fixed. Treat it as a challenge!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #9

Here’s a link to my mods to the bed frame, if it helps: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...lbums1625.html
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #10

I have the same trailer in a Starcraft... by Jayco. I did remove the dinette completely and put in a small wall-hugger recliner. I love my trailer and wouldn't trade it for anything on the market. It's so easy to tow anywhere, has twin axles, no slideout to break and it's the perfect size for us.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I have the same trailer in a Starcraft... by Jayco. I did remove the dinette completely and put in a small wall-hugger recliner. I love my trailer and wouldn't trade it for anything on the market. It's so easy to tow anywhere, has twin axles, no slideout to break and it's the perfect size for us.
We have the 21QB perfect for my wife and I. New mattress plus a couple of modifications have it better than new.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #12

I've owned a dozen trailers and this 21' twin axle is my best one ever.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:

Yeah I agree, ours is great for the two of us. And I wanted something small so we could still get into the state parks we like going to. I’m thinking about finding an upholstery shop and see if they can put some better foam/pad in the dinette cushions.
chabunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabunga View Post
Yeah I agree, ours is great for the two of us. And I wanted something small so we could still get into the state parks we like going to. I’m thinking about finding an upholstery shop and see if they can put some better foam/pad in the dinette cushions.
I am about to do the same. I believe all of the cushions have zippers, so it should be easy to find suitable foam at a craft store and trim it to fit. Cheaper than an upholstry shop. Now, if I can find a way to put better foam in the sofa...
Old 07-17-2020, 03:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I am about to do the same. I believe all of the cushions have zippers, so it should be easy to find suitable foam at a craft store and trim it to fit. Cheaper than an upholstry shop. Now, if I can find a way to put better foam in the sofa...
I'm on that path also, although I think it will be next year for us. And I need to take a closer look at the sofa...

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #16
Site Team

Make sure you don't waste your money on "pillow foam". The denseness needed for cushions may not be available at a hobby shop.

It's best to make sure, as the denser foam may be what you need. More $$$
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Make sure you don't waste your money on "pillow foam". The denseness needed for cushions may not be available at a hobby shop.

It's best to make sure, as the denser foam may be what you need. More $$$
Good point Norty. I wonder if I can “butt test” it first?
Old 07-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Good point Norty. I wonder if I can “butt test” it first?
THAT'S gonna be a Kodak moment on the security cams!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:10 PM   #19

Fabric shops like Jo Ann's will have what you need. Watch out for sticker shock.

Higher durometer for the seat (firmer), less durometer for the back.

I have some success with adding 1" or 2" to existing foam on non RV furniture. Spray glue to the old, trim if needed, wrap in thin plastic and stuff it back in.

Good luck.

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64osby View Post
Fabric shops like Jo Ann's will have what you need. Watch out for sticker shock.

Higher durometer for the seat (firmer), less durometer for the back.

I have some success with adding 1" or 2" to existing foam on non RV furniture. Spray glue to the old, trim if needed, wrap in thin plastic and stuff it back in.

Good luck.
Thanks! Having a sailboat and a travel trailer, I’m very used to sticker shock!

Tags
212qb, quality issues