Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #1

2020 SLX Fridge fire

Hello everybody. I'm new as a member to this forum but read the forum for several months before purchasing a travel trailer. I wanted to make recent owners aware of a potential issue with the fridge, Norcold polar, or installation, in these units . This could be a one-off situation or it could be more widespread but wanted others to know about the potentially deadly safety issue.

We decided to go with Jayco because of the long-standing history and good warranty coverage. They seem to have very good entry-level trailers for first travel trailer buyers.

We bought a new Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW as we felt this was a good fit for our family of five. We took delivery from the dealer, RVs of Sacramento, in mid-may 2020 and took the trailer on its maiden voyage June 14th 2020. We camped at Trinity Lake California at Tannery Campground. There are no hookups at this campground so was running generator during the day and Battery/ propane at night.
Everything was going great until the fourth day we were there.

I woke up at 6 in the morning thursday the 18th to a very loud pop and a rushing sound. My initial thought when I was jumping out of bed was a water pipe burst but when I came out of the bedroom I saw smoke pouring out of our refrigerator. I told my wife to get our kids out immediately as it was black acrid smoke filling the trailer. I went out the door and saw flames gushing out of the access panel for the refrigerator. I immediately ran around the side shutting off the propane tank and then grabbed our fire extinguisher to put the flames out.

If I hadn't woke to the sound I can't imagine what would have happened as the bunkhouse is at the very rear with the fridgerator in between our bed and the kids bunks.

I drove into the nearest town to get service on my cell phone contacting Jayco and our dealer immediately that morning and sent pictures to Jayco.

The trailer smells like burnt plastic and chemical. There Is black soot all over the cabinets around the refrigerator as well. In my conversation with Jayco I asked them for a swap as I and my wife can't stand the thought of the dealer/Jayco trying to replace the cabinets, refrigerator, paneling, wiring, gas line, exterior skin, Etc. Plus with all the chemical that got into the trailer I really feel that Jayco should replace the unit with a like unit of new-build. I will be dropping the trailer off on Monday the 22nd at the dealer to start the process. I hope it goes smoothly, but you read some horror stories about the way dealers and the manufacturers try to nickel-and-dime their way out of things that are their fault. I really have no idea at this point what happened but the fridge was running on propane that morning and assuming that it was some kind of propane hose failure which ignited the fire from the propane leaking into the pilot light. I really am not certain though. The pre-delivery inspection did not include showing us the rear of the refrigerator access but after getting home I did peek in there and nothing seemed to be a miss. The fridge worked on propane when tested at home and for the first 3 days when we were camping. And yes I did have the trailer level front-to-back and side-to-side so fridge was level.

I just thank the Lord I was lightly sleeping that morning and was able to get my family out in time. God bless.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200618_075736038_1.jpg   IMG_20200618_065044326_1.jpg  
Mike102P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #2

Wow! I can’t think of a more harrowing camping story. Thank goodness you and your family got out unharmed. We’ve been to that campground; it is pretty remote and there’s no fire station right around the corner. Hopefully this is a freak incident but your warning is important for all of us. You didn’t mention your smoke alarm going off — did it malfunction? I hope Jayco and the dealer step up and do what’s right. Keep us updated.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #3

Your better off if you can get it totalled ...

Your insurance should actually be covering the damage, and will likely be much faster than waiting for a jayco warranty total rebuild.

If you can convince them that the rebuild is greater than replacement, you could possibly be in a new trailer relatively quickly (emphasis on the relative)
jeffmcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the reminder. It did not sound because the plastic tag was still installed between the 9v battery and contacts. This was another thing new owners should take note of. I failed to test the smoke detector before leaving and dealer did not remove plastic insulator at PDI (not sure if dealer normally removes at delivery). I tested the CO detector but totally blanked on the SD.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike102P View Post
Thanks for the reminder. It did not sound because the plastic tag was still installed between the 9v battery and contacts. This was another thing new owners should take note of. I failed to test the smoke detector before leaving and dealer did not remove plastic insulator at PDI (not sure if dealer normally removes at delivery). I tested the CO detector but totally blanked on the SD.
The same exact thing happened to us — I didn’t discover the plastic tag was still there until a year later! I, too, assumed the dealer removed it. Definitely a reminder for newbies. Should be part of the PDI.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:24 AM   #6

Wow, scary situation, so glad you are all okay.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:51 AM   #7

That’s scary! Glad your family is safe, I recently bought a Jayco travel trailer. With in a month my refrigerator stop getting cold, since I’m the second owner. It’s not covered under the 2 year warranty. Did Jayco or the dealer day what caused the issue with the refrigerator. I have the same refrigerator it’s a norcold
Local bay gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:21 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for the post! It should be a reminder for every owner to go out and verify if the tape has been removed from the smoke detector. Reading your thread reminded me that I found the same thing on mine years back. We change our 9v battery every year at home and in the camper. I made it a habit to write the install date with a permanent marker on the battery when it's changed.

I think I would go the insurance route also and hope for a totaled decision. The curious in me would want someone to determine what happened to cause this.

I'm happy that you and your family were able to respond and get out safely.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:55 AM   #9

I agree the plastic tab on the smoke detector on ours was still intact. Seems that is should be a PDI action. I would think they would test it on the PDI but must not. Glad everyone is safe and that you got everyone out okay. Hope and pray that you get a reasonable response.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local bay gal View Post
That’s scary! Glad your family is safe, I recently bought a Jayco travel trailer. With in a month my refrigerator stop getting cold, since I’m the second owner. It’s not covered under the 2 year warranty. Did Jayco or the dealer day what caused the issue with the refrigerator. I have the same refrigerator it’s a norcold
I'll be dropping the trailer at the dealer today and hope to get an answer to what failed at some point, but neither dealer or Jayco could say what may have caused when I spoke with them on the phone after the incident. The fridge was working fine up to that point, no lockouts, or propane smell during times when the fridge was running on propane and it switched over fine the evening before after shutting the generator down.

In my research last night, I did find info about a recent recall jayco is conducting for certain 2020 Jayflight SIX models for an improperly tightened propane hose at the fridge.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=20V238

Maybe ours is part of this and could be the cause.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #11

Thankfully you and your family are safe. Fire is my greatest fear when camping as there is often little you can do to stop it once it gets going. My daughter sleeps in the top bunk which doesn't have an escape window and she would be trapped. I did add a fire extinguisher to her bunk just in case as well as one in our bedroom and one in the kitchen.

Having one small one by the door to me is not enough...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #12

I am glad everyone is safe! Every spring, we review how to get out of the camper in an emergency and where to meet. I am like Norty, I write the date on the smoke detector battery, and replace it every spring. A buddy of mine, he pulls the battery every time he is not using his TT. He says never forgets to reengage it, but all it takes is that one time.

The heat looks to be focused around the control board, wonder if it started off as an electrical fire, then melted the rubber propane line (popping sound).

I fully expect the insurance will total your TT.

Again, glad everyone is safe.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #13

If I remember correctly, a few years ago there was a recall on norcold rv refrigerator for fire hazard, I remember checking my trailer at the time, which was not affected by the recall as it is a dometic fridge.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
I'll be dropping the trailer at the dealer today and hope to get an answer to what failed at some point, but neither dealer or Jayco could say what may have caused when I spoke with them on the phone after the incident. The fridge was working fine up to that point, no lockouts, or propane smell during times when the fridge was running on propane and it switched over fine the evening before after shutting the generator down.

In my research last night, I did find info about a recent recall jayco is conducting for certain 2020 Jayflight SIX models for an improperly tightened propane hose at the fridge.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=20V238

Maybe ours is part of this and could be the cause.
We dropped the TT off at the dealer yesterday. The service dept rep confirmed our trailer vin was included in the recall. The part I'm a little confused about is the news releases about the recall were around May 2nd. I posted the incorrect link above and meant to post the news release.

Here's the quote from RV Travel dated 5/2/2020:

"Jayco, Inc. (Jayco) is recalling 1,642 model year 2020 Jay Flight SLX travel trailers manufactured in the Idaho facility. The propane supply hose connection to the refrigerator may be improperly tightened, possibly resulting in a propane leak.

A propane leak can increase the risk of an explosion or fire.

Jayco will notify owners, and dealers will conduct a leak test at the refrigerator connections, repairing them as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 29, 2020. Owners may contact Jayco customer service at 1-800-283-8267. Jayco’s number for this recall is 9901509."

Now, we took delivery of the trailer May 18th, which was after news broke of the recall, but before the official date of May 29th when Jayco was supposed to begin implementing. The service rep could not confirm the issue was addressed prior to delivery. If the fire is a result of this, the dealer could be at fault for missing at PDI since news was out about the safety issue.

Not sure how it will play out. I was firm with the dealer and jayco that we won't accept anything less than a new build unit, no rebuild.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
Site Team

This is an amazing situation. Please keep us updated as the process unfolds. As others have mentioned, I am happy to hear that you are all OK.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:40 PM   #16

Yep, hold out for a full new replacement, seek legal help if needed.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
Yep, hold out for a full new replacement, seek legal help if needed.
Yup, we may need to seek legal advice. This is the boiler plate response I received from Jayco yesterday. It was a bit insulting and cold to say the least. This came in response to my email and pictures telling them about the incident that nearly killed our family. They're basically wiping their hands of the situation and saying it's the dealers problem. Very disappointed....

"Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer Service. It is Jayco's commitment to work within the terms of the two year limited warranty outlined in the owner's manual. I have noted the unit file of your concerns and apologize that you have experienced these circumstances thus far as a valued Jayco customer. We would recommend contacting your selling dealer for your warrantable repair services. They will need to diagnose the complaint, determine a repair, and in some instances submit it to us for authorization. The dealer is able to contact Jayco at any time for assistance in technical advise or repair suggestions. . It is Jayco's commitment to fulfill the warrantable coverage we provide with the purchase of our units. The unit is purchased through the dealership and your options for this request can be further discussed with them. We look forward to working together with the dealer to be able to reach a resolve to the needs you have brought to our attention. "
Old 06-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Yup, we may need to seek legal advice. This is the boiler plate response I received from Jayco yesterday. It was a bit insulting and cold to say the least. This came in response to my email and pictures telling them about the incident that nearly killed our family. They're basically wiping their hands of the situation and saying it's the dealers problem. Very disappointed....

"Thank you for contacting Jayco Customer Service. It is Jayco's commitment to work within the terms of the two year limited warranty outlined in the owner's manual. I have noted the unit file of your concerns and apologize that you have experienced these circumstances thus far as a valued Jayco customer. We would recommend contacting your selling dealer for your warrantable repair services. They will need to diagnose the complaint, determine a repair, and in some instances submit it to us for authorization. The dealer is able to contact Jayco at any time for assistance in technical advise or repair suggestions. . It is Jayco's commitment to fulfill the warrantable coverage we provide with the purchase of our units. The unit is purchased through the dealership and your options for this request can be further discussed with them. We look forward to working together with the dealer to be able to reach a resolve to the needs you have brought to our attention. "

Don't see what your issue is with their reply.............seems they simply need you to work thru your dealer to find a resolve to the issue. Don't understand why you can't accept that and give it a try.............then if not satisfied with the outcome, pursue other means to resolve. Seems these days folks seem all too quick to jump on the "seek legal advise" bandwagon before they give the situation a chance to work itself out!
freetime58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime58 View Post
Don't see what your issue is with their reply.............seems they simply need you to work thru your dealer to find a resolve to the issue. Don't understand why you can't accept that and give it a try.............then if not satisfied with the outcome, pursue other means to resolve. Seems these days folks seem all too quick to jump on the "seek legal advise" bandwagon before they give the situation a chance to work itself out!
More disappointed in the cold response. I get they need to investigate and obviously don't expect resolution right away. But after pulling my family out of a smoke filled trailer at 6am, I'd hope for at least a little more personal message. It's corporate and they're protecting themselves. I get it. Just disappointing.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #20

Appologies for dragging my personal dealings with the manufacturer into this. My original intent for this thread was to make owners aware of the safety issue. I will refrain from posting any more in regards to my dealings with manufacturer/dealer. Wishing all safe and fun adventures. Mike