Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
It's interesting that you asked this question. Just yesterday we were talking to a couple towing a similar sized travel trailer with a new Ranger. They said it tows OK, but were complaining about the towing range. According to them, they were getting less than 150 towing miles with their Ranger's small fuel tank (18 gal?) capacity.
That's similar to what I had for a setup four years ago. A Dodge Dakota with a tow capacity of around 6500 lbs and a camper that weighed in at around 5000 lbs. The pickup had an 18 gal tank and got 9 MPG when towing; a lot of gas stops. The setup worked OK but it could have been better. I replaced the truck with an F150 and the caper with a 24RBS. The truck gets better fuel economy and has a 35 gal gas tank. It does a great job of towing the larger camper, GVWR 7700 lbs. The F150 is more expensive however. It's also hard to park.

I got a Ranger loaner a few months ago when I had my F150 in for service. I didn't like the truck. It didn't handle as well and I found it uncomfortable. You might test drive an F150 before you put a deposit down.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
It's interesting that you asked this question. Just yesterday we were talking to a couple towing a similar sized travel trailer with a new Ranger. They said it tows OK, but were complaining about the towing range. According to them, they were getting less than 150 towing miles with their Ranger's small fuel tank (18 gal?) capacity.
Nice thing about a small tank, breaks come frequent. I know this after towing with a Explorer Sport Trac.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #23

I just finished a 5,000 mile trip with my 2021 3.5L. I love the torque, the 36 gallon tank ($100 tank fills), Pro Tow, 10 speed trans, and 6.5' bed. It's a nice upgrade from my 5.0 V8, 2013 F150.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
Hey everyone. Great answers. We went with a 2021 FX4 Lariat 3.5L with 2.4kw power generator installed in the box.

Just wondering if anyone has used this generator feature yet and is it reliable?
I have the 2,000kw and it worked fine. I ran it a couple times this past month to add a boost to my solar (and to check it out). I plugged my 21QB directly to the generator.

It would not run my Dewalt circular saw, the start up draw is too high.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #25

Range of Ranger

I know a few folks have mentioned the limited range of the Ford Ranger. I agree that an 18 gallon tank is not ideal. When I talked to the local dealer and spoke about a few things I wanted to see on the new, redesigned Ranger, was ventilated seats and larger fuel tank. He said that if I placed a custom order now, it would be a 2022 model. He said those are two complains he hears a lot and they may be updated on the redesign. I’m going to wait and see what changes come before blindly placing an order. Also, I do not anticipate far away camping destinations. I assume we will stay with a few hours drive. My young kids would not make it much farther anyway! I have decided that if I do decide to purchase a Ranger, I would get a “Sidekick” fuel system in the bed. Rather than find a gas station, I could off the road and siphon 15 gallons from the sidekick to the gas tank. Not ideal but I could manage. Thanks to all for responding. Andy
McMullap is offline   Reply With Quote