Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #1

2021 Jay Flight 174BH HOT WATER - ELECTRIC

NEWBIE HERE....
Connected to water source at campground...tanks are filled ... flipped the electric water heater switch at the door, but no hot water after an hour or so of hoping it would work...
Any suggestions on where I should begin.

I seen someone post that the pilot needed to be lighted, but I'm not wanting to use gas...

HELP ... I have no clue what I'm doing...
jodi1430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #2

Can you please provide the manufacturer name?
Usually Atwood, Dometic or Suburban
The installs are different between Atwood and Suburban

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 12:09 PM   #3

Is your trailer plugged into the power pedestal at the campground and is the main breaker switched on? Also, check the breaker for the hot water heater to see if it has tripped. If yours has the option to bypass the water heater (for winterizing) make sure it's still not in bypass mode. If still nothing, try running it on gas.
GraphiteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #4

I tried to figure this out last summer, after several hours of manual reading and internet searches I found nothing. Turns out maybe our unit (I have a 2020 174BH) doesn't have the electric tank. Mine is a dometic

2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
jaydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydawg View Post
I tried to figure this out last summer, after several hours of manual reading and internet searches I found nothing. Turns out maybe our unit (I have a 2020 174BH) doesn't have the electric tank. Mine is a dometic
Spec says it is. 6 gal. gas/ electric DSI water heater
Old 03-23-2023, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi1430 View Post
NEWBIE HERE....
Connected to water source at campground...tanks are filled ... flipped the electric water heater switch at the door, but no hot water after an hour or so of hoping it would work...
Did you make sure the water heater tank was full before you flipped the water heater switch?? It sometimes takes 3-4 minutes to fill the tank, verified by opening a hot water faucet. If you "flipped the Switch" when the tank wasn't full you destroyed the electric heating element.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #7

Yeah that's what I thought but couldn't figure it out. I always have lots of propane so I didn't get too hard core into it, hopefully somebody has a solution!

2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
jaydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:46 AM   #8

On my little tank I added a 400 watt electric element via the drain valve opening. There was also a thermostat that you attach to the tank and a switch inside that you install yourself. All pretty straight forward but takes some time to do. If you want to drain or clean the tank out you have to remove the element.
On Amazon and elesewhere for $60 to 150 of different brands. Also at many rv parts shops.

It provides hot water but takes more than an hour to heat the tank up while plugged it. You would want to use propane if you wanted more than a very short shower or two. Great for hands and dishes.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi1430 View Post
NEWBIE HERE....
Any suggestions on where I should begin.

I seen someone post that the pilot needed to be lighted, but I'm not wanting to use gas...

HELP ... I have no clue what I'm doing...
Does your electric breaker panel have a position for the water heater? If so, you can check the tank near the bottom (on the inside of a cabinet) for 120v type wiring, If there is wiring, it will probably lead to an outlet box. If it does, you can disconnect the trailer from all live 120v input power and then test the outlet of that box for ohms resistance. I can't remember exactly but I think it will measure about 10.5 ohms. If it is very much higher, the element is burned out. The elements are cheap but difficult to replace, so it make sense to test it first to ensure that you need one. Play it safe and don't get shocked!
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:34 AM   #10

Problems withe electric side of water heaters are very common. Mostly, someone has turn it on (on the dealer lot) with the tank empty and burned out the element or it got burned out during the de-winterizing process. Mine never worked in previous Super C. I gave up and just used the gas side all the time. Turn it on during shower time in the morning...let it reheat, then shut it off for the day. You'll have warm water all day for hand washing, etc.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:49 PM   #11

Not sure if we have same brand HW heater or not but last year I had no hot water, had a service tech come to our site, he showed me that my HW heater has a 2 amp fuse in the HWheater unit itself, not in the fuse panel, might want to check that. My problem turned our to be bad sensors, Tech put a new set of sensors on and it worked fine. I now carry an extra heating element and set of sensors and 2 amp fuses.
thelfrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:22 AM   #12

Jodi,
It could be that the water heater was bypassed and the tank was drained when your rig was winterized last fall. In the bypass mode, water flows around the water heater - not through it. If that is the case, you need to turn the bypass valves so cold water flows into the water heater, and hot water flows out. If the water heater was bypassed, there was no water inside the water heater; and if you turned on the electric heating element with no water inside the water heater, it is likely you burned out the electric heating element. Good news is, once you change the valve settings and your water heater fills with water, it should still heat the water using the propane setting. Bad news is, you may have to have the electric element replaced.