Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2021, 09:32 PM   #1

2021 JAY FLIGHT 28BHS Scissor jack issue

Hi folks - tried a global search on this topic, but not successful. 2021 Jay Flight 28BHS - I tried to stabilize my new camper today and the factory scissor jacks are at least 4 to 6 inches too short fully extended. Is this normal, or did the factory give me the wrong scissor jacks? BTW, I always planned on using jack pads, but I didn't think I'd have to add another 6 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
20210225_165545.jpg  
ScorpJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Is that the problem only on one end, or both front and rear? If that was on level ground, there are a couple of thoughts. You probably have 24" jacks, which are common. You could replace them with new 30" jacks, or just use legos or wood blocks under them. The longer the TT, the more exaggerated the frame-to-ground distance will be, and can get worse if you have to raise one side quite a bit.

Sometimes we never know how off-level a campground will be, so after getting caught off guard at one in the mountains, we now carry 6 one foot pieces of 4x4, and 20 Lynx Levelers. Some combination of those help, so I don't have to drop the stab jacks so low, and our TT is only 23' ball to bumper.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #3

My trailer is 32' long. I have 3 packages of Linx levelers and use them all almost every time I camp. I did add an extra scissor jack in front of the wheels to remove some bounce. I've never deployed the jacks without putting something under them.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:12 PM   #4

Although I agree with JFlightRisk and Scott, and I also put leveler pads under all of my scissor jacks, I've never seen a trailer rig that had to extend the jacks all the way open just to set it up on level ground! Hilly or uneven terrain yes, but not a level pad.

I think the factory may have put scissor jacks on your unit meant for a smaller trailer.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:02 PM   #5

I suspect they are not very strong all the way down, at least not for lateral movement. I would use some blocks and not worry with it though. ~CA
Old 02-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #6

I just cut up some 1 x 4 deck boards and keep them in the camper when traveling. They fit neatly in a small milk crate in the storage area.

3-4 on each side and under the tongue jack as well. Very easy and since it was from my deck when I replaced the boards- FREE!!!!
RonkoCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #7
eow

I suggest you complain to your dealer because as others have said, they are too short for your trailer and it was built with the wrong stabilizer jacks.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:31 AM   #8

I'm not an engineer, so I can't confirm this to be completely accurate; but it makes sense to me. When the scissor-jack stabilizers are deployed at 50%, they achieve a 3-point stabilization system - 2 points at the top and one at the bottom. Anything past 50% and the top of the 3-point narrows down to a single point - producing only 2 points of stabilization at full deployment (top & bottom only) . That means little or no lateral stability. So, you never want to deploy your stabilizers more than 50%. I'd suggest picking up a couple of 10-packs of the Leggo-style pads, and put a few under each jack. If you're on unlevel ground, decrease the number of pads under the jacks that are closer to the ground and increase the number under the jacks that are further from the ground - so none of the jacks are deployed more than 50%.

If you decide you want to purchase longer jacks, try E-trailer.com. I bent up my rear stabilizer jacks a few years ago, and found quite a few sizes and manufacturers at prices that were less than Amazon had them. Shipping was fast, too! I got them in 4 days!

Hope this makes sense!
Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 AM   #9

Reached out to Jayco - got the ol' "you got it, it's yours" answer. Essentially, the 28BHS comes with the 24 inch jacks standard and I'm on the hook for any upgrades. Thanks for the suggestion! Be safe.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
I'm not an engineer, so I can't confirm this to be completely accurate; but it makes sense to me. When the scissor-jack stabilizers are deployed at 50%, they achieve a 3-point stabilization system - 2 points at the top and one at the bottom. Anything past 50% and the top of the 3-point narrows down to a single point - producing only 2 points of stabilization at full deployment (top & bottom only) . That means little or no lateral stability. So, you never want to deploy your stabilizers more than 50%. I'd suggest picking up a couple of 10-packs of the Leggo-style pads, and put a few under each jack. If you're on unlevel ground, decrease the number of pads under the jacks that are closer to the ground and increase the number under the jacks that are further from the ground - so none of the jacks are deployed more than 50%.

If you decide you want to purchase longer jacks, try E-trailer.com. I bent up my rear stabilizer jacks a few years ago, and found quite a few sizes and manufacturers at prices that were less than Amazon had them. Shipping was fast, too! I got them in 4 days!

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks! I've owned a number of trailers and even worked in the RV Service industry for a year, so I agree with your perspective. Looks like Jayco has dug in their heels.