Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #1

2021 Jay Flight Delamination

Hi All,

First post here, fairly new to RVing. Unfortunately, starting out with a bad experience.

Looking for some feedback on Delamination. I bought a new 2021 JayFlight 28BHS and after about 14 months started seeing major delamination occurring, on all exterior sidewalls. RS wall is the worst, with a large bubble from the kitchen window down to the skirt, all the way to the door. Took it to my local a dealer, and they were surprised to see it. They sent in a warranty claim along with many photos; Jayco customer service called and asked me for additional photos and a second opinion at another dealer. After all the documentation, Jayco is denying the warranty request stating that seal maintenance is the issue. There are no damaged or otherwise compromised seals in the area of delamination.

Has anyone else had delamination occur on a new trailer? Not sure where to go from here. Any feedback is appreciated.
Benjeep16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #2

Man sorry to hear this. I would be livid to put it mildly if this happened to our 2021. Lack of seal maintenance is an absolute crock of an excuse in my opinion.

I think if I struck out with the dealers in the area I would turn to local news and see if they would do a story on it. It might get enough attention to get something done.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #3

Were you given copies of what the dealers submitted? What did they say was the cause? If there was any mention of water intrusion that could be what is causing the denial.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #4

Jayco should have you return to dealer so they can inspect sealing and damage. 3 year warranty would cover that sealing anyway. I've had our, 2016 Jayfeather bought new and haven't had to reseal anything but small cut on roof. So far everything looks good no eterabond yet, but always checking. Just luck I guess so far. Best of luck
Old 09-20-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
snip......3 year warranty would cover that sealing anyway. I've had our, 2016 Jayfeather bought new and haven't had to reseal anything but small cut on roof.....snip
Please note Jayco places the "owner" responsible in inspecting (every six months) and maintain areas where various sealants are utilized. The Jayco Owners Manual goes into great detail on the subject matter.

Representative of: Jayco Owners Manual, Section 13, Exterior, Sealants; "CAUTION - Failure to properly maintain or reseal your recreation vehicle may result in serious water damage to the roof and other parts of the recreation vehicle. This damage is not covered by the Towable Limited Warranty". Source 2017 Jayco Jay Feather Owners Manual.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Were you given copies of what the dealers submitted? What did they say was the cause? If there was any mention of water intrusion that could be what is causing the denial.
X2

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-20-2022, 09:17 PM   #7

Dealer #1 did not note any water damage. Dealer #2 noted "likely"/ "potential" / "inconclusive" water intrusion.

There is no water damage. It's probably rained a total of 4 times since I've owned the trailer...
Benjeep16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Please note Jayco places the "owner" responsible in inspecting (every six months) and maintain areas where various sealants are utilized. The Jayco Owners Manual goes into great detail on the subject matter.

Representative of: Jayco Owners Manual, Section 13, Exterior, Sealants; "CAUTION - Failure to properly maintain or reseal your recreation vehicle may result in serious water damage to the roof and other parts of the recreation vehicle. This damage is not covered by the Towable Limited Warranty". Source 2017 Jayco Jay Feather Owners Manual.

Bob
True but one would hope seals wouldn't fail after 14 months unless they were being sandblasted daily in the desert.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjeep16 View Post
snip.......major delamination occurring, on all exterior sidewalls. RS wall is the worst, with a large bubble from the kitchen window down to the skirt, all the way to the door........snip
The fact that "all" exterior sidewalls are effected I would be pushing Jayco for specific 'root cause' identification (ie; actual moisture intrusion location(s), etc) that support lack of owner responsible preventive seal maintenance.

Does "all" include the rear wall and front cap?

Also, it's possible that a sidewall construction defect related to the layered material bonding process is at play..., has this possibility been investigated?

As mentioned, keep a paper trail and make note of phone conversations.

If you get a chance feel free to post photos of the effected areas.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 AM   #10

There was a situation where they got denied a warranty for carrying water in the tanks and it was denied at first. They gave some ridiculous reason. I would find that person and see how they “fought back”.

Agree with the dealer paperwork question. Just like a doctor sending wrong code will deny a medical claim…
JayLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #11

How could that be?

If they can't seal a new camper good enough to last a year, they've got some big problems. Something has to be wrong, bad batch of sealer or did they even put any on it.

If you can get them to pick up on it, the news would be a good place to start.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
If they can't seal a new camper good enough to last a year, they've got some big problems. Something has to be wrong, bad batch of sealer or did they even put any on it.

If you can get them to pick up on it, the news would be a good place to start.

Forest River also says to inspect every 6 months and Keystone says every 90 days.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Just remember it doesn't make a fig what kinds of disclaimers Jayco's lawyers printed in ther warranty, that's lawyer speak, in there so you'll go away. If you'll go away, they'll be glad to let you..
You want Lawyer Speak in a warranty, read pages 33-35 of a Van Leigh(TIFFIN) "What's not covered" owner's manual.

https://vanleighrv.com/wp-content/up...UAL-VILANO.pdf
Old 09-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
You want Lawyer Speak in a warranty, read pages 33-35 of a Van Leigh(TIFFIN) "What's not covered" owner's manual.

https://vanleighrv.com/wp-content/up...UAL-VILANO.pdf
Other than whataboutism, what's that got to do with Jayco?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Other than whataboutism, what's that got to do with Jayco?
Because JAYCO doesn't do anything different than the rest of the RV Industry. So no matter what brand you buy you will find exactly the same issues.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Because JAYCO doesn't do anything different than the rest of the RV Industry. So no matter what brand you buy you will find exactly the same issues.
Not true. Northwood and Outdoors RV don't have any of the common issues that trailers built in Indiana have.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #17

OP I'm probably not the only one wanting to hear how your battle is going. I hate that this has happened. Clearly doesn't sound like something that should not be covered under manufacturer warranty. I'm sure you know this will likely be a long battle. Keep us posted.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
Not true. Northwood and Outdoors RV don't have any of the common issues that trailers built in Indiana have.
This original discussion started because someone questioned the"Lawyer language" in JAYCO's warranty about 6 month inspections and that failure to follow those can cause a warranty denial....Have you ready NORTHWOODS WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS?

B. Failure to comply with instructions contained in the Owner's Manual

Same language for Outdoors only more detailed....

OWNER RESPONSIBILTY

Perform proper care and maintenance as outlined by this manual and corresponding component warranty information including taking whatever
preventable measures necessary to maintain the exterior sealants of the unit and to prevent foreseeable secondary moisture or water damage to the
unit from rain

A simple search proves that it is the same across the RV Industry no matter where they are built or by whom. If they didn't have the same issues, why the same exclusions?
Old 09-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #19

There are other reasons for delamination than having a seal leak(s). I would have an RV tech inspect the seals and if they are good and the damage and then go back to the dealer and Jayco with the inspection report if the problem is not due to a lack of maintenance. Failure to follow the maintenance can be a reason to deny a warranty claim. However, only if the lack of maintenance was\is the cause of the issue. ~CA
Old 09-29-2022, 07:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
There are other reasons for delamination than having a seal leak(s). I would have an RV tech inspect the seals and if they are good and the damage and then go back to the dealer and Jayco with the inspection report if the problem is not due to a lack of maintenance. Failure to follow the maintenance can be a reason to deny a warranty claim. However, only if the lack of maintenance was\is the cause of the issue. ~CA
Sorry to hear about your delam issues but you are not alone. A friend had it so bad on his TT that his insurance company finally wrote it off and he now has a new TT. My neighbour at our seasonal camp just brought his 2014 Flagstaff in to Winnipeg to get all three slide out walls stripped and redone over the winter. Look around and you will literally see dozens of fibreglass units with delam. It is caused by moisture migration into the wall space and my take is it will come from the top down but gravity will bring the moisture down so the delam will usually show up at the bottom first. On a very warm day it will be even more pronounced. Having said that I too was probably sucked in to the shiny real nice look of a fibreglass exterior wall unit and now live in fear of having my own delam issue. To the point of routinely ensuring I check all exterior seals around windows, roof edges and roof mounted equipment. I also started running a strip of 2" Gorilla Tape across the top of every window when closing up for the season. We have frameless windows and there is a shallow depression across the full width at the top of the window that can hold water, dust and dirt etc. On another related matter "Why cant the TT manufacturing companies -a) make a reasonably sized (larger) eavestrough and b) put the damn things on straight ?????? I am constantly up on the roof brushing them out. If Airstream ever decided to make a TT with a slide out I honestly believe I would seriously looking.
Cheers Everyone.
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delaminating, delamination, exterior walls