Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2021, 04:33 AM   #1

2021 jayco 166fbs draining gray water

gray water drains very slowly, is this usual. also indicator light stays at 3/4 full.
Polegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:15 AM   #2

The level indicators are somewhat notorious for being inaccurate. The only way to keep the black tank indicator reading close to correct is to flush it thoroughly after draining, and then adding some water and Calgon to slosh around while you are driving. Things like toilet paper getting hung up on the sensors will give you a false reading.

As far as the slow drain for the grey tank, you will need to define slow. How full was is and how long did it take to empty? With that being said, I too have noted that the grey tank seems longer to drain, especially if you are waiting for that last few gallons to come out. Mine takes about 4-5 minutes when it is close to full.
Dkastner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 09:47 AM   #3

we have no problems with black water tank. grey takes about 15 minutes to empty.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:50 AM   #4

I find my Gray drains faster if I elevate the front of the camper. As to the stock indicators, that is why they are called Idiot Light Gauges.
Jim Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:22 AM   #5

I was reminded of something else that happened to our 166FBS that may be affecting yours.

I was draining tanks after camping in preparation to return home. As usual, I was flushing the stinky slinky when a fairly large, round piece of plastic came out. Turns out is was the circle that remains when a hole saw is used to cut a hole in the plastic holding tanks. Unfortunately, I didn't know which tank it came from.

Perhaps you have a similar situation, only the plastic circle may be stuck sideways in the drain, slowing down the flow. The only thing that I can think of to free it up is to run a hose up thru the outside drain pipe and try and flush it loose.

Just a thought.
Dkastner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #6

thanks to everyone for hints.
tried lifting front of trailer but did not drain any faster but did prove it was emptying completely.
Interesting about the possibility of a piece of plastic being stuck sideways and slowing flow. Will try running hose up outside drain pipe in the morning.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #7

It’s not at all unusual for these things to happen with the tanks. As for my experience the “P” trap for the tub sat lower than the floor is some idiot from the factory just drilled a hole thru the floor big enough for the “P” trap and from under the trailer you can look up and see the trap. It’s covered now but can you imagine the damage it would do from driving in the rain.