Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #1

2021 Jayco 184BS Baja

Hello everyone! I just picked up a new Jayco 184BS Baja. Any tips, tricks or suggestions to make it dialed in are appreciated! We plan to do mostly off-grid camping. We opted for the roof mounted AC, solar panel, and 2 6V battery setup! Thanks and being on spring! - Brad W. Gunnison, CO
Wheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #2

Although the suspension and tires are set up for off road remember that the cabinets are held together with the minimum or less of screws and staples. So don't get to aggressive until you get a good feel for how it will hold together.

Also, inspect the bottom, plug all the mouse entry holes (yep, that's why they made them so big) and check that wiring and piping is properly secured and the tanks are held on with secured strapping. This size unit is ideal for the Andersen hitch for WDH and sway control.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:23 AM   #3

Picking up our 184BS on monday. nervous about all the quality issues i keep hearing about and that these jayco's are a POS.
smeathead17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:49 AM   #4

Congrats. We will be at the tall texan for 4th of july visiting my wifes oldest daughter. Missed out on our trip last year.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeathead17 View Post
Picking up our 184BS on monday. nervous about all the quality issues i keep hearing about and that these jayco's are a POS.
Just remember you only hear the complaints. If someone has a good unit they seldom broadcast that.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #6

Lots of Pre Delivery Inspection reminder lists available. Use the gold search bar above and read some and find the one that applies best to your new RV. Make sure your spouse helps, 4 eyes better than two. If you have a doubt or see a problem IT MUST BE WRITTEN DOWN! or it will be to late when you sign for it. That's why it is call a PRE Delivery. After you take sign and take it off the lot the dealer loses any urgency to fix any problems you find later.

As above, most people only complain when there burger is cooked wrong, not the majority that are fine. Ps take your flashlight with you to see in those back corners, old clothes and inspect the bottom for loose wires, pipes or poorly connections. Take a friend who has experience with RVs if you can (not a replacement for you wife, she must be there too).
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #7

So far so good. Tows really well with an E2 weight distribution hitch. Going through everything to ensure it is dialed in before a long trip. No glaring issues to report. Need to crawl underneath still but lots of snow on the ground in CO. Keep everyone posted. - Brad
Wheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
TWX

Based on my recent digging in to my 2019 174BH, this is what I would check on pre-delivery inspection.
  • Under the Queen Bed
    • Debris in screwed-shut compartment around the water tank
    • Height of the water filler versus the top of the tank (mine is lower than the top of the tank, meaning I can't use all 30 gallons)
    • Hinges for the openable compartment, are they solid or are they going to pull-through
    • attachment of the under-plywood joists that support the mattress/occupants, are they well attached or are they going to pull through
  • Under the Bunk Bed
    • Debris in any compartment(s) whether user-accessible or screwed-shut (ie, open them)
  • Issues with panels screwed into just the thin veneer wallboard, not into actual structural material, or stripped-out fasteners
    • Under the sink
    • Under the bunk
    • Cabinet latches that are threaded-in to the frames, open and close all cabinet doors repeatedly and see if any loosen up
    • where components are panel/bulkhead mounted
      • Electrical service panel
      • Microwave and it's mounting bezel
      • Cooktop and Hood
  • Exterior accessories well-affixed
    • Battery box
    • Spare tire (my secondary mounting bracket and hardware were laying loose below the tire, caught up in the tire cover
    • Any WDH stuff installed by the dealer
Admittedly I am one of those negative people, but based on the way I found my travel trailer, bought used around a year old and not modified by the previous owner, I would have been pretty pissed off to have been the new buyer and found it in that state. I am not going to offer any suggestions on things that I don't have experience with (ie, a slider) but my personal opinon, dig in and open up panels even if you need mild handtools, grab things and tug on them or shake them as they'll be subjected to that while in-tow anyway, and don't be afraid to be just a little rough. Don't belly-flop on the beds but climb on and move around like you really will, that sort.

The trailer is probably in the best shape that it ever will be in right now, if you don't like something now, get it fixed now.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:44 PM   #9

Make sure everything that is supposed to be screwed in has a screw that actually joins something. The dinette area benches are horrid. We had to rebuild them as there were staples and screws to nowhere.

Condition of the brake wiring. We finally had ours rewired as the OEM wiring ran over the top of the axle and got pinched with bumpy road travel. You need your brakes. Now the wiring runs under the axle and is double sheathed and heat shrink wrapped.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Condition of the brake wiring. We finally had ours rewired as the OEM wiring ran over the top of the axle and got pinched with bumpy road travel. You need your brakes. Now the wiring runs under the axle and is double sheathed and heat shrink wrapped.
Trailer Brakes went out on my new 2021 184BS on my third trip. Went underneath to the driver side hub and found a mess of loose fitting wires with zero protection. One was cut and dangling. I wouldn't but a 20k car with messy unsafe brake wiring, but somehow RV manufacturers can get away with it.
Iamaslob33 is offline   Reply With Quote