Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

2021 slx 224bh solar

Hey folks, just returned back from the new trailers Maiden voyage. Set out for two nights(after driveway camp) at a local provincial park and loved the trailer. We had electric the first two nights, and filled water at park on arrival.
We enjoyed it so much and being on holidays we decided to try another two nights😁, and booked the only site we could find which was nice it was just Jon electric.
Anywho I spent a bit of the remaining two days a little more conservative then I probably needed to and was able to do some research on more solar options while relaxing. I ordered a 100 renogy suitcase with controller and some 10 foot mc4 cables for more panel placement options,the kit just has a couple battery clamps you hook into controller.

Now the dealership couldn't tell me alot about the solar stuff installed from factory( I guess it used to be a plug on the tongue) just that it was solar ready. Well there is a cutout template on the wall by bed that has a solar companies name(wired for solar). I assume they want u to cut out the template but there panel and controller and hook it up to the mc4 connectors mounted to the roof.

I went ahead when I got home and pulled the renogy suitcase out, set it up and got the battery charging to test it out. I wasn't sure if the cables came off the roof and just passed by the template and terminated into the battery as none of the literature or advice I was given from dealer told me much about solar.i went to the roof with my multi meter and confirmed it had same voltage on those connections as the battery did at the time.

My idea by luck now i guess being the mc4 connectors on the roof match what I bought if I don't want to place the panels on ground and move them all around through the day and watch them closely due to possible theft( not to be Rude) does anyone see a reason why I couldn't just toss them onto the roof and plug them into those connectors, easy to do and less likely someone's gonna climb my ladder and scoop panels up.

It's still will be fused and going through the panels controller mounted on the back and it's essentially the same thing? It's only 100 watt panel and the template states not to exceed a 30 amp controller for wiring gauge size I assume.

Sorry for the long post but any info, ideas,or words of wisdom would be appreciated
Sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:21 AM   #2

2021 slx 224bh solar

Did you figure out an answer to this question? I'm trying to decide what the best solar setup is and I like Renogy, but I'm not sure it's plug and play and my husband doesn't feel confident about electric work.
Smhasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

You could put them on the roof if you want. Every thing is your decision.
I have a similar suitcase style. My rig has the solar on the side attachment, near the battery. I just hook to that, run a cable thru the handles of solar and lock to frame. The lock is a deterrent from theft.

2017 JayFlight 212QB
2024 Silverado 6.6

24travel is offline   Reply With Quote