Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2022, 09:13 PM   #1

2022 Jayco Eagle Fire (total loss)

Good evening everyone. I’ve been a Jayco owner for 4 years and just upgraded our 2019 Jay Feather to a brand new 2022 Eagle HT 312BHOK and took delivery on June 30th. I towed it home 41 miles and had it parked in front of our house for 4 days while we transferred all of our camping stuff from our old trailer to our new one. During that 4 days, the trailer was plugged into dedicated 50amp RV power that I had installed so that I can run everything including air when I have the trailer at the house. On the morning of July 5th, we looked outside at the trailer and smoke was coming from all vents and windows. I ran outside and disconnected power and called 911. The trailer and all of our stuff inside (totaling $3600) is 100% a total loss. The fire marshal indicated he is certain the fire originated in the fireplace/TV area (both of which had been off since we left the dealership). I had an insurance inspector out on Friday and she agreed it was most definitely started in the area the fire marshal said.

I am currently working with Jayco to try to resolve this without having to make a claim on my insurance but I’m not sure how far they are willing to go to rectify this. I literally towed it home and plugged it in and it caught fire, I feel that this is 100% a manufacturing flaw either with the fireplace, the outlet, or the wiring to that outlet. I wanted to get this out there to give everyone a heads up and also if anyone has any insight on how to proceed to recover all of my losses.

I am just truly at a loss right now and really hoping Jayco steps up to make this right for us.
Attached Thumbnails
FBE11476-50D8-4481-A87E-0EBD4ED016A1.jpg   1173788C-3DFB-427C-A8D3-D63414BF1210.jpg   AE7EFC77-A686-4681-A5D0-DA6A757A9099.jpg   4819F1A7-18B8-4486-BD88-58947B116A55.jpg   0082D104-AF57-4504-83E4-D096E093F726.jpg  

Brian.Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #2

This is an awful story...Im truly sorry this happened. The steps you've taken seem logical, and I would only add that being certain the 50amp circuit was only putting out exactly that, would b the only other obvioys place to search for answers.

Again, Im truly sorry.

STE
Torklift Stable Loads
Thule Range 4 bike rack
Sam_The_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:59 AM   #3

Sorry for you, luckily you werent inside sleeping at the time.

A similar occurrence happened to a fellow camper while we were camping last year. They just bought a new Forest River, switched out their stuff, and started to enjoy their new RV. Next day or so started having electrical problems, beginning with the electric fireplace (in use). Stopped using it but still electric problems and now burn smell. Unplugged from the pedestal.

No breakers had tripped, so figured there must be a wire problem. Inspected the main in and up to the breaker box. There it was- several of the neutral wires were not tightened at the breaker box.

If the main in and breaker are still in tact, I would take pics of them and try to determine if a problem occurred from there. Electrical fires are started from neutral wire problems.

I dont see why this isnt covered under warranty as a manufacture defect. I would start with the dealer treating it as warranty and see how it goes. Then contact Jayco if need be.

Good luck.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:15 AM   #4

I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm pretty sure Jayco will ultimately tell you it's an insurance issue. I would gather all written documentation you can regarding cause and origin and make Jayco aware that you intend to go public with the findings. Has Jayco given you any indication that they want an opportunity to inspect the trailer yet?

I run a bus company and we recently lost a motorcoach to a fire. Our insurance investigators determined the cause and origin to clearly be a manufacturing defect. The coach manufacturer sent out investigators to inspect and of course they disagreed. They did ultimately settle with a nondisclosure agreement and reimburse our insurance company.

You may want to file the claim to get investigators out and further document your fire department findings. If Jayco does agree to some type of remediation they will work with your insurance company.

The more leverage you have the better off you will be. Sadly, this is not something that will likely be settled quickly.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:39 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about your loss. Agree that it sounds like a mfg defect. If it were me, I would just file a claim with my insurance and let them go after Jayco for reimbursement. They have way more resources/leverage than you do and at least you will be compensated quickly so you can move on.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:27 AM   #6

Sorry to hear this, But I agree, let the insurance company hash it out with Jayco. Jayco is big but insurance companies are bigger. I deal with them alllllll day long. Trust me, they'll investigate this to the last detail. Pretty much, this isn't your fault...you did nothing wrong. You shouldn't be out of anything and this should be solved rather quickly. Especially when they get the fire marshal's report.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:53 AM   #7

As mrmom and TWP723 said your best bet will be through your insurance and then let them get reimbursed from JAYCO or whomever. Since the fireplace is a 3rd party component and if that was in fact the source, they would be the ones ultimately responsible.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Weber View Post
During that 4 days, the trailer was plugged into dedicated 50amp RV power that I had installed so that I can run everything including air when I have the trailer at the house.
Sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck getting it resolved.

Your above statement raised a red flag when I read it. Was this outlet installed by you or a licensed electrician? Was it checked out using a voltmeter before you connected the RV? Had it been used by you on your previous RV? Was an extension cord being used from the electrical box to the RV, being that it was parked on the street? Was it connected using an EMS or surge protector? Was the connection protected by a dedicated circuit breaker? Was the circuit breaker tripped or still on after the fire?

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:23 AM   #9

Installed by a licensed electrician, I used it for 3 years with my other trailer with no issues. It was all done by code with its dedicated circuit breaker which was not tripped. No extension cord was used other than of course the trailer 50amp cord. The fire department looked at the connection and ruled it out immediately thankfully.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:33 AM   #10

Well, that was good news. 👍
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:43 AM   #11

So sad for sure.

BTW, While a fire like this is rare, they do occur and I highly recommend keeping some protection in the bedroom as if you wake up to a fire, your time is very limited. If you catch it early enough you may be able to put it out, or at least you could use this to help you reach the exit door. If you didn't wake up fast enough and needed to exit the rear emergency exit, but ran into a challenge opening the exit window, you could use this to break the window and rake the window frame clear of any remaining glass. Also, I would (and I do) opt for a larger extinguisher than what is commonly provided with an RV.

I would also suggest for everyone to make make sure they know how to use their emergency exit window(s). ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 07-11-2022, 09:57 AM   #12

Thank you. We we get a replacement we plan on having at least 3 extinguishers and also more smoke detectors.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Installed by a licensed electrician, I used it for 3 years with my other trailer with no issues. It was all done by code with its dedicated circuit breaker which was not tripped.
I was wondering about that. Good to hear it’s been in use and I’d say that strengthens your position with Jayco. The comment about involving your insurance co and letting them (and their lawyers) negotiate with Jayco sounds good. I understand your wanting not to involve the insurance co so if you’re willing to wait and try to work it thru Jayco there’s probably no issues there.

I’m so sorry to hear what happened to your new TT but thankful the family and you were not aboard!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Good to hear it’s been in use and I’d say that strengthens your position with Jayco.
Why does everybody insist that it's JAYCO and the OP needs to take action?

This is absolutely no different than having a new house built and then a defective appliance or furnace starts a fire, which has happened. You, the homeowner, don't go after the builder or the appliance company. You contact your insurance company and let them handle it.

If it was a defective fireplace that is who will be holding the bag if the insurance company sees fit to pursue it. The OP would only go after the deductible if he has that expense and his insurance company would help with that as well.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:05 AM   #15

Don't get involved. It's not between you (OP) and Jayco. It's between your insurance company and Jayco. You have the report from the marshal, that's all your insurance company needs to prove a case. I'd stay out of it and wait. Anything you say to Jayco can be twisted and turned.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:25 PM   #16

Grumpy why do I insist on that? Because I brought it home and 4 days later it burned up through no fault of my own and me making a claim on my insurance is going to raise my premiums for the future. Doesn’t seem fair to me when I have insurance and a fire marshal telling me it’s a problem with either the trailer or fireplace. An investigation is forth coming and we will hopefully know for sure soon.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #17

To everyone. I already have a claim started and the insurance gears are in motion. My only concern is my premiums going up because of this and also the loss of the contents as my policy does not cover anything but the trailer itself. My hope is that with an investigation complete jayco will choose to correct it before I end up getting paid out from my insurance company.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #18

If the insurance doesn't pay for the lost items inside, THEN go after Jayco for the reimbursement. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2022, 01:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Don't get involved. It's not between you (OP) and Jayco. It's between your insurance company and Jayco. You have the report from the marshal, that's all your insurance company needs to prove a case. I'd stay out of it and wait. Anything you say to Jayco can be twisted and turned.
I agree 100% - The only people I would be talking to is your own insurance people. It is not uncommon for the "Other Side" to call you and very craftily misrepresent who they are in an attempt to lock you in to a statement. It happens quite often...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Grumpy why do I insist on that? Because I brought it home and 4 days later it burned up through no fault of my own and me making a claim on my insurance is going to raise my premiums for the future. Doesn’t seem fair to me when I have insurance and a fire marshal telling me it’s a problem with either the trailer or fireplace. An investigation is forth coming and we will hopefully know for sure soon.
I can understand your concerns and not saying JAYCO doesn't have some responsibility, however, unless the insurance company told you to get directly involved with JAYCO, I would not, that will only muddy the waters, that is what you pay them for. As I mentioned earlier, if it was the fireplace, your warranty even states components are covered by their respective manufacturers. If JAYCO says call them, then what?

Also a fire claim, vs accident, should not raise your rates if you have a good insurance company. Many even waive the first accident. The third piece of the puzzle is your bank, if you financed the purchase they get paid off first, it still belongs to them.

As to your personal belongings those would be covered under your homeowners if not included under the RV policy.

I hope it all works out and you have no monetary loss.but just as others have mentioned let your insurance company work things out they are the professionals with the legal team and they should make everything whole for you.