Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2022, 10:31 AM   #1

Exclamation 2022 model Jayco Eagle TTs with Auto Leveling

Hi everyone,

Are there many people who have 2022 model year Eagle travel trailers where they've added the auto leveling option?

The 2022 model year part is important: They changed the frame design from 2021 to 2022. The 2021 models had a "drop frame" similar to the 5th wheels and this allowed the jacks to be mounted in a more protected position.

I've been looking at the 2022 models and they went back to a basic straight frame and the front jacks for the auto leveling system stick down about 17 inches below the frame. This makes them very susceptible to being dragged when you drive over any kind of high spot or try to enter/exit a steep driveway entrance.

I haven't been able to get anyone at a dealer or Jayco to acknowledge the placement of these jacks is a problem. Given the placement of these jacks I'm sure anyone who has bought one of these trailers with the auto-leveling package has probably had issues with it. But maybe nobody is paying the $1700 to add this feature given how poorly implemented it is.

To illustrate, here's a picture of one of the units with the leveling jacks:

Now here's that same trailer from the other side:

The reason I show this from both sides is the first picture shows how high the front of the trailer is jacked up but with the shadows it's hard to see how close the front jacks are to the ground. Keep in mind these jacks are in the fully retracted position.

The 2nd picture gives you a better idea of how close the jack is to the ground. This is late in the day and the sun is very low, and yet the shadow is so close to the jack that it almost looks like the jack is touching the ground even though it's fully retracted.

I'm really interested in going back to a Travel Trailer. We're currently in an older Seneca motorhome but I'd really prefer a travel trailer. One of our biggest reasons for going to a motorhome was the ease of setup with things like leveling jacks on the motorhome. But if I could get that on a TT I would love to move back to a TT.

I just can't get over how those front jacks are mounted. If you look at the videos that LCI publishes on their Ground Control 3.0 leveling system for travel trailers: You'll notice they use a different style jack in the front that "folds up" so that it doesn't protrude down so far when it's retracted:

So it looks to me like Jayco is using the wrong style jack on the front.

My ask is: Does anyone here have a 2022 model of one of these trailers with the leveling jacks? Have you had issues with it?

My 2nd ask is: Has anyone else had a conversation with a dealership or anyone at Jayco about this jack placement? Has anyone heard of Jayco plans to address this? II imagine if they've sold many of these units they are going to start getting complains when people drag these jacks going into and out of gas stations and campgrounds...

Thanks in advance!
irwinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:38 AM   #2

irwinr…

We picked up our 2022 284bhok last week from the dealer. We downsized from a large toy hauler and got accustomed to the electronic auto leveling. For the new rig, electric auto leveling was a must.

Aware of the frame changes from 2021 to 2022, I didn’t give much thought to the leveling legs placement. However, when we hooked up to the rig after making the adjustments to ensure the tt was level, both the sales rep and the technicians were very concerned about the limited ground clearance from the front auto leveling legs. So concerned in fact that they followed me on foot out of their parking lot to make sure we didn’t drag and damage them as we exited their uneven exit.

We always dry camp in some remote areas north of Phoenix…this will be an interesting topic to follow, especially since the legs are already mounted as high up as they can go. Perhaps this detail got overlooked by engineering or they just decided to try it out anyway and see what the customers say.
airski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:46 PM   #3

Hi,

We just brought home our 2022 Eagle 284BHOK...driving 1,100 miles from Alabama to New York, camping along the way. I do know about the frame change, but I wasnt aware of an accompanying location change for the auto-levelers.

It's super early days, and in the 3 locations we camped in so far I havent seen any problem, but I will come back to this thread in coming days and report.

It's for sure something we should trade notes on.

One thing I did note is the front ones hang higher than the rear ones, but both are adjustable. So preumably one could raise them both, as long as you had enough lumber with you to eat up the distance.

I would just wonder whether something would need to be recalibrated with the auto-leveling if u did that.

STE
Sam_The_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 11:42 AM   #4

…I’m going to be watching these closely once we take it out to the trees where the ground is so uneven. Also in and out of all the fuel stations. Just trying not to damage anything. There’s definitely a lot less ground clearance than what we used to have.
airski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_The_Eagle View Post
One thing I did note is the front ones hang higher than the rear ones, but both are adjustable.
On the units I've looked at the front jacks were already mounted as high as they could go.
irwinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:06 AM   #6

OK, so Ive just winterized our 2022 284BHOK for the 2nd time. I havent returned to thiis thread for a while so I thought I'd chime in.

With about 6,000 miles of travel, and 12 different camping locations, I havent had a problem yet with the location of the auto leveling jacks.

I did just the other day have an issue where I turnes offthe battery kill switch, and then needed to readjust the front jack, and after turning the kill switch back on the jack didnt want to go. Some sort of ground fault maybe? I dunno...u don't get a book for the jack and auto-leveling system when you buy the rig...and web search didnt help.

I called the dealer tech and he suggested trying the BM Pro app...which I did, and it worked immediately. Once it worked again I tried the pad on the jack, and now that worked. So...there's an oddity you may end up needing to know for the future.

Sam
Sam_The_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote