Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #1

212qb Baja solar install

I got a Jayco 212qb Baja and wants to install a system from Renogy. I'm debating between 2 x 200 watts panels or 4 x 100 watts panels. I also want to install the RNG-CTRL-RVR60-CA mppt. We don't want an inverter just to load battery because most of the stuff in that trailer is dc. For the batteries I'm looking at the optima blue top until we upgrade to Lithium. But i'm also looking for the the pre wires solar wires in the walls. and were do they end? In front of the trailer there is a box and a few red cover connectors with a bunch of wires. Any of these wire the end of the solar roof connectors?
Skippy210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #2

You won't need the 60amp rover, you won't ever generate close to that power with 400W. I wouldn't go higher than 40amp. (At 400W, you should be at about 28amps charging 12v system in full sun/charge). Victron is rated higher and cheaper, but perhaps a little harder to configure. I have two Renogys. A 20amp on the RV and 60amp on off-grid cabin. I might try a victron next.

If you camp/store/hangout in areas with shade, go with 4 panels and run 2 in series and then parallel both together. When shade/loss of sun hits one panel it affects total voltage of all panels in that series. Having two series helps alleviate the issue.

That being said, for a smaller setup like this I'd go with 2 panels in series. Less connections, higher volts but less amps = smaller wire and less power loss. The extra power you can get from series/parallel setup is more for larger setups.

I'm not sure where the wires would be on the baja though. Normally in a storage compartment near the battery covered by a plastic cap that has a sticker labeled solar. I'd contact Jayco customer service and get all your wiring diagrams, including the solar layout for when (not if) you have an electrical problem on down the road.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #3

tank you for your help
Old 11-04-2021, 05:09 PM   #4

np. One of the main reasons I'd change to victron is the app for Renogy is HORRIBLE. I've used several devices but its always laggy, not intuitive and just a pain. Does it work-> yes. Have they been reliable-> yes (I've been using them for 3 years now with no issues). Documentation-> not bad.

Would I still try a Victron next time -> yes. Bluetooth built in vs additional cost and the app appears much better. Generally you'll see Victron rated higher then Renogy as well.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

I traced the wires from the plug on top and the -ve (Black) goes down to the black connection box at the front of the trailer, behind the battery and ties in with the other black wires that are grounded, The +ve (Red) was connected to one of the breakers to the left of the Black connection box, which means it is connected to the battery.

I did not want to cut into the wall, so I bought a plastic electrical cabinet with a clear hinged door and mounted a solar controller Solar Charger in that Box. In hindsight, I did not like the controller being so visible, so I blacked out the clear door. The cabinet is mounted to the side of the A frame close to the batteries.

I did not want to throw away the new battery that came with the trailer, so I just bought a second one to match. I think the batteries are 60Ah standard, which gives you 30Ah useable, with a second I get 60Ah usable.

I added two 100W panels. As you said, most stuff in trailer is 12 volt except the TV, so I bought a 200W inverter, which works great. Inverter

I also installed USB and 12v Outlets on each side of bed, which allows for phone charging and 12V fans to run at night.

Setup seems to work well, although I have not pushed it yet (Running heating all night and watching TV..)
Old 11-04-2021, 07:57 PM   #6

So the wires are all full length all the way to the front of the trailer. So i just need to pull them back up under the bed, where i can put the controls and add a wire back to the box. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #7

I am using two 200W panels wired in parallel with a Renogy Rover 30A MPPT controller and two GC2 batteries (215 ahr). I am also using a cheap battery monitor: https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmete...6079285&sr=8-4

My 2018 212QB doesn't have any preinstalled wires so I ran them along the awning rail then into the front storage compartment. I mounted the controller and breakers in there with the batteries on the tongue.

My setup works well when in the sun. I am going to get a portable solar panel for those shady sites.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200524_154902345_HDR.jpg   IMG_20200524_155259238_HDR.jpg   IMG_20200524_155357265_HDR.jpg   IMG_20200524_155409089.jpg  
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #8

This is a good calc to determine Volts and Amps:
https://www.midnitesolar.com/sizingTool/index.php
Old 11-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #9

Thank you all for your help it's appreciated.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #10

So would the victron 100/30 be a good choice then?
Old 11-06-2021, 04:38 AM   #11

If you don't intend to add more panels later and you have enough controller for existing panels, yes I believe it would be a great choice.
SmartSolar models have Bluetooth.
BlueSolar models do not have Bluetooth

I have a Victron Smart Solar 150/45, so far I'm very happy with it. Bluetooth app, monitors output, logs data.
Do your research, there's lots of info out there. Way better to get it right the first time! Will Prowse has a wealth of info, search- DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse
More solar info on here,
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/g...ith+solar.html
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToones View Post
I am using two 200W panels wired in parallel with a Renogy Rover 30A MPPT controller and two GC2 batteries (215 ahr). I am also using a cheap battery monitor: https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmete...6079285&sr=8-4

My 2018 212QB doesn't have any preinstalled wires so I ran them along the awning rail then into the front storage compartment. I mounted the controller and breakers in there with the batteries on the tongue.

My setup works well when in the sun. I am going to get a portable solar panel for those shady sites.

Almost exactly what I did in my 19RD. I ran the wires to below the trailer and then "up" into the storage area to prevent water traveling in. My controller and cutoff switches are in there with 2 GC batteries on the tongue as well. People don't even notice the wires unless I point them out.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:14 PM   #13

I’ve been thinking of getting this Jackery setup. If all you want to do is charge your batteries, this seems a lot easier. And you can move the panels around to follow the sun.
https://www.jackery.com/products/jac...olar-generator
iAmRockinRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 10:49 PM   #14

Well ordered the renogy 400 watts kit with the mppt. It was the best deal available here in Canada. The next one was over 200 more for the same thing. Plus shipping. Renogy has free shipping. I'm planning to install the controller and the batteries under the bed. For the batteries i got 2x 6 volts 225 a/h. Should be good for us. Not planning to install an inverter everything except the ac and the microwave is on dc. Now the question is, out as the pre wired solar and their is a sticker on the wall that says the wires are behind it. I don't trust it. But are these wires full length panels to batteries and you have to cut them for the controller ? Or are they already cut ?
Old 11-22-2021, 05:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy210 View Post
Well ordered the renogy 400 watts kit with the mppt. It was the best deal available here in Canada. The next one was over 200 more for the same thing. Plus shipping. Renogy has free shipping. I'm planning to install the controller and the batteries under the bed. For the batteries i got 2x 6 volts 225 a/h. Should be good for us. Not planning to install an inverter everything except the ac and the microwave is on dc. Now the question is, out as the pre wired solar and their is a sticker on the wall that says the wires are behind it. I don't trust it. But are these wires full length panels to batteries and you have to cut them for the controller ? Or are they already cut ?

Please know that IF your batteries are Lead Acid, you really should not put them under your bed! Lead batteries give off explosive hydrogen gas and corrosive acid vapor when charging. They need to be in a vented enclosure.
Your wires for solar SHOULD be behind the sticker... somewhere. If anything else is nearby, switch, control panel, etc, try to remove it and look first before committing to a hole. They may be labeled, they may be cut, but it seems not all are laid out the same way. In my 5er they were behind the label about 12" away, cut, capped, and taped. I took off the BMPRO tablet to look for them. I spliced mine back together and put the charge controller in the basement near the batteries, didn't need to cut a hole.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote