Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2021, 02:04 AM   #1

212QB Tacoma for towing?

We are looking at getting a SR5 or TRD Toyota Tacoma to pull our 212QB.
With 2 wheel drive, V6 and tow package it will do up to 6800. Our camper unloaded is just under 4400 lbs. We would just put like 5 gal of water in the tank and then just normal stuff inside when traveling.

We are definitely getting a WDH.

Any problems or concerns you can think of?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:13 AM   #2

The Tacoma tow package you said will tow 6800# BUT what is the payload rating? The payload will often be used up long before the towing capacity is reached. The payload is EVERYTHING you put in/on the truck, gas, passengers, pin weight, WDH…
Old 05-17-2021, 05:31 AM   #3

Payload capacity is 1540 for the Access cab SR5 or TRD.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Payload capacity is 1540 for the Access cab SR5 or TRD.
Ok, now look at the Toyota website where they start the payload capacity, is that before anything is in the truck etc. The 1540 pound gets used quickly!
Old 05-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
We are looking at getting a SR5 or TRD Toyota Tacoma to pull our 212QB.
With 2 wheel drive, V6 and tow package it will do up to 6800. Our camper unloaded is just under 4400 lbs. We would just put like 5 gal of water in the tank and then just normal stuff inside when traveling. We are definitely getting a WDH. Any problems or concerns you can think of?
The owner's manual will have relevant definitions and you should be able to get the manual off the interwebs even if you don't have the truck yet. Then you can go to the dealer and look at the sticker on the door for weight ratings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Towing1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	71474

Name:	Towing2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	71475

Name:	Towing3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	71476

That'll let you determine if you're technically within limits.

Subjectively, you might not have the greatest towing experience with a Taco pulling 5,000 pounds. I have a 2017 TRD Off Road and tow my 185RB Baja (2,800 lb dry). While it is more than capable of towing the trailer, it has to work harder to do it: Peak horsepower is at high RPM on the Taco. So I end up spending a lot of time in manually selected 4th gear at 2500 RPM to maintain 55 to 65 mph in order to avoid constant gear hunting between 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. (Yes, the owner's manual does indeed recommend this.) I also have very regular shifts into 3rd gear up over 4000 RPM to climb rolling terrain. It's a far cry from that nice, quiet cruising one gets without a trailer when the tranny is in 6th gear and the engine is down at a nice, quiet 1800 RPM at highway speed. When towing the trailer, I would describe my Taco's shift map as "crude" or "coarse". I don't even bother trying to drive more than about 63 mph. Gas mileage is typically between 8-12 mpg.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #6

We found a TRD Off Road, 2wd. V6 with tow package. I think the towing will be very similar to what you described.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #7

I’ll second the admonition to watch your payload numbers. In addition to your WDH, passengers, gear, fuel etc, you have two full 5-gallon propane tanks and two Group 24 batteries. Camper shell? Add a couple hundred more pounds. Adds up quickly.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:10 AM   #8

Yep, we will definitely watch the weight of everything.
Great advise!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
We found a TRD Off Road, 2wd. V6 with tow package. I think the towing will be very similar to what you described.
I do not think the towing experience will be similar at all.
You are comparing a 212QB to a 185RB, which has a 1600# heavier dry weight, has a 180# heavier dry hitch weight, is 5’ 8” longer and is 1’ wider. This is all before you even put anything in your truck and trailer.
I’d be looking for a Tundra or similar for that trailer.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:44 AM   #10

I just traded in my 2020 Trd off-road. When we bought our new 212qbw. It’s just to much trailer for the truck at least here in Oregon where we travel up and over mountain ranges a lot. The Tacoma did ok with our older camper but that was 3600lbs fully loaded. But even then long up hills were not friendly. Will the Tacoma pull the 21qbw of course but it won’t be enjoyable.
dalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #11

I think your payload number quoted above might be the advertised maximum payload available on those trucks. You need to see the actual payload sticker on the door jamb of the truck you're interested in (or one like it). I expect that you'll find that a Tacoma will be around 1,200 lbs of available payload.

The trailer is 5,500 lbs. So, you'll drop about 690 lbs onto the tongue. Add 60 lbs for the wdh = 750 lbs. Add 300 lbs for a fully clothed couple. Now you're up to 1,050 lbs. That leaves you about 150 lbs for everyting else. Are you bringing any kids or pets ... I assume no kids due to the non crew cab. Any wood, bikes, generators, tools, or gear in the bed of the truck?

You'll probably be right at the limits of that truck when you factor everything in and on the truck. Not saying it's impossible, just that it'll be extremely tight. Hopefully, you're not camping in high altitudes.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #12

Tacoma is probably a bit small. I have a 212qb towed by a 2016 Chevy Colorado v6, tow package, a little bigger than a Taco. It is the minimum I would use and am thinking of getting a full size half ton
alfavulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
The owner's manual will have relevant definitions and you should be able to get the manual off the interwebs even if you don't have the truck yet. Then you can go to the dealer and look at the sticker on the door for weight ratings.

Attachment 71474

Attachment 71475

Attachment 71476

That'll let you determine if you're technically within limits.

Subjectively, you might not have the greatest towing experience with a Taco pulling 5,000 pounds. I have a 2017 TRD Off Road and tow my 185RB Baja (2,800 lb dry). While it is more than capable of towing the trailer, it has to work harder to do it: Peak horsepower is at high RPM on the Taco. So I end up spending a lot of time in manually selected 4th gear at 2500 RPM to maintain 55 to 65 mph in order to avoid constant gear hunting between 4th, 5th, and 6th gears. (Yes, the owner's manual does indeed recommend this.) I also have very regular shifts into 3rd gear up over 4000 RPM to climb rolling terrain. It's a far cry from that nice, quiet cruising one gets without a trailer when the tranny is in 6th gear and the engine is down at a nice, quiet 1800 RPM at highway speed. When towing the trailer, I would describe my Taco's shift map as "crude" or "coarse". I don't even bother trying to drive more than about 63 mph. Gas mileage is typically between 8-12 mpg.

I also have a 2018 TRD OR and tow our 195RB. Power wise it is OK but if there is any sort of crosswind or semis passing, it reinforces my love to go back to a half ton. Just waiting for the 2022 Sierras to be available to order. I would not recommend a quarter ton truck for towing anything like a travel trailer if you live in a windy or mountainous area. Yes it will do it, but it’s a pretty crappy towing experience. I’m in Western WA so Your experience may differ from mine.
AT4_Towing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT4_Towing View Post
I also have a 2018 TRD OR and tow our 195RB. Power wise it is OK but if there is any sort of crosswind or semis passing, it reinforces my love to go back to a half ton. Just waiting for the 2022 Sierras to be available to order. I would not recommend a quarter ton truck for towing anything like a travel trailer if you live in a windy or mountainous area. Yes it will do it, but it’s a pretty crappy towing experience. I’m in Western WA so Your experience may differ from mine.
My wife and I knew it wold be a compromise: We wanted a truck that was as small as possible that would tow the trailer adequately so that we could then take that truck on 2-track roads to crazy places. Plus, we're hoping to set it up for overlanding at some point in the future.

An 8-cylinder half-ton would be a dream for our size trailers!
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #15

I used to have a 16’ trailer towed w/a V6 an always wished I had a V8…now have a Chevy Pu 1/2 t with mid sized v8 towing a 22QBW an glad I have the v8. Only 2of us and only have water to get us there then fill up… even w/trailer empty think about a V8 you’ll go up hill much easier.
Bob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #16

We got a 2021 GMC Canyon 4WD and it tows the 212 qb well. It does not labor on our hills around home ; we have two with a 14 percent grade over a mile that must be negotiated each time we go camping. Seems pretty happy on the interstate at 70 ( which we should tone down a little).Last trip we carried full tank of fresh water but didn't have more than 200 lbs other gear in the tt other than the propane tanks and the battery. We did have a 46 lb generator and about 15 lbs of Dog Food(!)

We knew it would be close but have to get the truck in our low garage in the winter when the plow comes ( we get a fair amount of snow) otherwise the plow pattern would be a nightmare.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote