Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #1

212QBW Rocky Mountain Edition - Fresh Water Tank

Hi all,

Just joined the forum, as my wife and I are presently looking at purchasing a 212QBW, already found some excellent info skimming through the threads.

We were wondering if anyone with the Rocky Mountain Edition, could give some info on the 2nd fresh water tank? Specifically, is the 2nd tank filled separately from the 1st tank, can the 2 tanks be isolated, so as to use only 1 tank when that is all that is required and use both tanks only when needed?

Thanks for any info.
damaltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome from NY State, and congratulations!

We don't have that package, but we do have the double water tanks on our similar TT. A 19rd, the predecessor to the 212 series. They fill from one point, and are connected with an equalizing hose from the front one to the rear one. The level sensors are on the rear tank on ours, and you'll want to fill them a little slowly so they do equalize. The hose is small, and it takes a while to get them both full. You'll have two overflow tubes underneath, and water will come from both when they are filled. We installed 1/4 turn shut off valves on the ends of the overflow tubes to keep water in, since the tanks are very shallow. Anything off level allows water to drain out.

The pump pulls from the front tank only, and you could install a shutoff valve in the equalizing tube to isolate it, but you wouldn't be able to see how much is in it, on the monitor panel.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #3

JFlightRisk, thanks for that info. If Jayco is still doing it like this, I will look at a valve on the equalization tube as you noted.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
JFlightRisk, thanks for that info. If Jayco is still doing it like this, I will look at a valve on the equalization tube as you noted.
Why not just both 1/2 full? Same scenario.....
Old 09-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #5

Thanks, yeah I can do that, but I’d rather be able to isolate the extra tank if not needed. That way we can just put the amount of water needed for a trip and not have to wait for them to equalize and have a small amount of water sloshing around in 2 tanks instead of just 1. As an example, we are taking off tomorrow and we will have full hookups, so we’ll just take around 5 gals for the drive down to where we are going.
I know, my OSD is showing. ��
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #6

We also have a 212qbw. As the bottom of the trailer is sealed off, would you have to tear it open to access?
The other question is where is the low point valve connected to?
Does anyone know if there is ant Jayco resource that would show how plumbing is routed under the floor ?
Hars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hars View Post
We also have a 212qbw. As the bottom of the trailer is sealed off, would you have to tear it open to access?
The other question is where is the low point valve connected to?
Does anyone know if there is ant Jayco resource that would show how plumbing is routed under the floor ?
Yes. the bottom would have to be opened up to access the lines and tanks. The low point drain valves should be under the bathroom sink, They'll drain to the ground in front of the left wheels. The plumbing diagram may just be a schematic, It won't be that detailed, unless they've changed what they send out.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #8

We just purchased the 212QB Rocky Mountain edition a month ago. I was wondering about the fresh water tank configuration as well. I want to sanitize the tanks this weekend with 1/4 cup to a gallon of water solution, but thinking I'll probably use 2 or 3 gallons to make sure there's enough sloshing around in both tanks to do the job (being newbies, we didn't realize it's not so great to have 20 gal. sitting in there for weeks) It would be nice to know the orientation of the tanks and connecting hose to understand how best to drain them completely during the sanitize/rinse cycle.

To completely drain them maybe I'll just drive around awhile (at various pitches) with the low drain valve open ? Or would a tongue-up (or down) angle get me a better draining?
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
You'll have two overflow tubes underneath, and water will come from both when they are filled...
Just bought the 212qb but haven't noticed the overflow valves. I'll have to take a look...
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes. the bottom would have to be opened up to access the lines and tanks. The low point drain valves should be under the bathroom sink, They'll drain to the ground in front of the left wheels. The plumbing diagram may just be a schematic, It won't be that detailed, unless they've changed what they send out.
Our hot/cold drains are in front of the wheels. The low point drain is at the back behind the wheels
Hars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #11

Quote:
The low point drain is at the back behind the wheels
While labeled “low point drain,” it is the FW tank drain.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #12

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk56 View Post
Just bought the 212qb but haven't noticed the overflow valves. I'll have to take a look...
The overflow tubed towards the rear won't have valves on them from the factory. I installed them on the ends myself when I saw water draining from them, in an off-level campsite. There's a picture of them in my albums on my profile page if you'd like to see them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-22-2020, 04:34 AM   #14

Quote:
The overflow tubed towards the rear won't have valves on them from the factory. I installed them on the ends myself when I saw water draining from them, in an off-level campsite. There's a picture of them in my albums on my profile page if you'd like to see them.
Understood. Thanks for the photo. I'll take a look for them and watch out for the leakage when we top up the tanks.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk56 View Post
We just purchased the 212QB Rocky Mountain edition a month ago. I was wondering about the fresh water tank configuration as well. I want to sanitize the tanks this weekend with 1/4 cup to a gallon of water solution, but thinking I'll probably use 2 or 3 gallons to make sure there's enough sloshing around in both tanks to do the job (being newbies, we didn't realize it's not so great to have 20 gal. sitting in there for weeks) It would be nice to know the orientation of the tanks and connecting hose to understand how best to drain them completely during the sanitize/rinse cycle.

To completely drain them maybe I'll just drive around awhile (at various pitches) with the low drain valve open ? Or would a tongue-up (or down) angle get me a better draining?
So having just purchased a new Rocky Mountain edition, I assume there is no isolation between the 2 fresh water tanks?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Our hot/cold drains are in front of the wheels. The low point drain is at the back behind the wheels
Yes, that's the same on our 212qbw.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #17

Quote:
So having just purchased a new Rocky Mountain edition, I assume there is no isolation between the 2 fresh water tanks?
That's my understanding; two 40 gal tanks connected by a small tube at the bottom of the tank - that is what I was told during the walk through, with advice to allow time for equalization between them.

It would be great to see a photo of them both in position. Your idea of isolating for low volume use is a good one, but I'd be hesitant to "break the seal" unless I knew exactly where everything was located.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:04 PM   #18

Dry camping in June and I noticed a leak from under the trailer. The underbelly had filled up with water so I went and started cutting to drain and find the problem. It was the piece that connected the two tanks. The tanks are shallow and the pipe was the same flexible stuff they use for the fresh tank fill. It is probably half way up the side of the tank. I too put valves on the ends of the overflow tubes. I would lose 1/3 driving to the camp site from suction and sloshing.

So my point is it’s not a small tube like pex or other pressurized water lines and it’s not at the bottom of the tanks.

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #19

Rocky Mountain Edition

We have tje 232RBW Rocky Mountain Edition with twin freshwater tanks. 1 tank feeds into the next via tube.
If your freshwater indicator says 1/3 full, you have approximately 1/3 of 80 gallons left between the two tanks.
No isolation between tanks
🖒

Quote:
Hi all,

Just joined the forum, as my wife and I are presently looking at purchasing a 212QBW, already found some excellent info skimming through the threads.

We were wondering if anyone with the Rocky Mountain Edition, could give some info on the 2nd fresh water tank? Specifically, is the 2nd tank filled separately from the 1st tank, can the 2 tanks be isolated, so as to use only 1 tank when that is all that is required and use both tanks only when needed?

Thanks for any info.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #20

Nope

Nope

Quote:
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote