Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
224BH Solar Preped

Hello everyone, First time here and newbe to the travel trailer world. We just bought a new 2022 SLX 224BH a couple of months ago and I just received a Go Power AE6 solar package. I also got a 2000 Watt Converter Charger.

Right now I just need to know where the Solar Converter wires come out from the Go Power unit on the roof. I found the Romax cable labeled for the inverter in the Pass-Thru but no other capped off or MC4 wires. There is a small box on the roadside of the pass-thru. When I removed the cover, there is a bunch of wires that all seem to have a rectangular female pig-tail end to them. The small box that they are connected to has descriptions for the number of flashes for this little green light. The box label is for the travel trailer lights. There are no other wires in the pass-thru.

We looked al over inside and out for a label that might say "Connect Controller Here" which is what our local dealer tech told us to do. No such label in or outside of the trailer. There are a bunch of wires behind the radio, but they are all terminated similar to the box in the pass-thru.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to let you know what I have done. I'm in kinda a time crunch right now too. I leaving for my new home in VA mountains on Friday and need to get this done this weekend. LOL
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay-Jay View Post
Hello everyone, First time here and newbe to the travel trailer world. We just bought a new 2022 SLX 224BH a couple of months ago and I just received a Go Power AE6 solar package. I also got a 2000 Watt Converter Charger.

Right now I just need to know where the Solar Converter wires come out from the Go Power unit on the roof. I found the Romax cable labeled for the inverter in the Pass-Thru but no other capped off or MC4 wires. There is a small box on the roadside of the pass-thru. When I removed the cover, there is a bunch of wires that all seem to have a rectangular female pig-tail end to them. The small box that they are connected to has descriptions for the number of flashes for this little green light. The box label is for the travel trailer lights. There are no other wires in the pass-thru.

We looked al over inside and out for a label that might say "Connect Controller Here" which is what our local dealer tech told us to do. No such label in or outside of the trailer. There are a bunch of wires behind the radio, but they are all terminated similar to the box in the pass-thru.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to let you know what I have done. I'm in kinda a time crunch right now too. I leaving for my new home in VA mountains on Friday and need to get this done this weekend. LOL
it should look like this https://www.invertersupply.com/images/AIMS/lggggt.jpg
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay-Jay View Post
Hello everyone, First time here and newbe to the travel trailer world. We just bought a new 2022 SLX 224BH a couple of months ago and I just received a Go Power AE6 solar package. I also got a 2000 Watt Converter Charger.

Right now I just need to know where the Solar Converter wires come out from the Go Power unit on the roof. I found the Romax cable labeled for the inverter in the Pass-Thru but no other capped off or MC4 wires. There is a small box on the roadside of the pass-thru. When I removed the cover, there is a bunch of wires that all seem to have a rectangular female pig-tail end to them. The small box that they are connected to has descriptions for the number of flashes for this little green light. The box label is for the travel trailer lights. There are no other wires in the pass-thru.

We looked al over inside and out for a label that might say "Connect Controller Here" which is what our local dealer tech told us to do. No such label in or outside of the trailer. There are a bunch of wires behind the radio, but they are all terminated similar to the box in the pass-thru.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to let you know what I have done. I'm in kinda a time crunch right now too. I leaving for my new home in VA mountains on Friday and need to get this done this weekend. LOL
This is one for the side of the rv https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAL
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 619
Finding Solar Prep wires..

Usually a label is stuck near your control panel stating your solar prep wires are nearby. It's going to take some searching, seems most everyone's solar wire placement varies even with the same RV. Look for 8ga. red and white wires, mine were cut and capped, but it's a 5th wheel.
__________________
2020 Pinnacle 32rlts
640 watts solar, 300AH lithium
2020 High Country Duramax 3500
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
That looks like the one on the roof that the panels plug into. Is there another one that is on the other end similar to that? If that is what I should be looking for, there is no other such item on the trailer.

Are there any other ideas?
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ARoamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: St Johns MI
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay-Jay View Post
That looks like the one on the roof that the panels plug into. Is there another one that is on the other end similar to that? If that is what I should be looking for, there is no other such item on the trailer.

Are there any other ideas?
Yep, that's the roof connector. You are looking for 8 gauge wires that are connected to that roof connector.


Being your solar panel is over the front bedroom, the wires may be behind one of the controls on the wall. Just guessing. Hopefully not hard to pop them off to look.
__________________
2020 Pinnacle 32rlts
640 watts solar, 300AH lithium
2020 High Country Duramax 3500
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
Jayco has had many customers receive their travel trailers that are pre wired for solar or solar ready. Having a solar ready RV can include one of two kinds of connections. The RVs are either using a portable solar connector on the side of the RV or they installed a Go Power cable entry plate on the roof.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Usually a label is stuck near your control panel stating your solar prep wires are nearby. It's going to take some searching, seems most everyone's solar wire placement varies even with the same RV. Look for 8ga. red and white wires, mine were cut and capped, but it's a 5th wheel.
That is what the tech said at our local dealer. I thought the wires would be Red and Black like the 12V battery.

There is a bank of connectors outside on the cross member of the A-Frame behind the battery. Nothing is labeled. Most look like the are coming and going to and from the battery, electric emergency brake cable and the power front jack.

I'm trying to attach an image but not sure if it took.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside Wire Bank.jpg  
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
Yes, mine is on the roof, but I need to know where the other end comes out so I can connect the solar controller also from Go Power.
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:06 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Yep, that's the roof connector. You are looking for 8 gauge wires that are connected to that roof connector.


Being your solar panel is over the front bedroom, the wires may be behind one of the controls on the wall. Just guessing. Hopefully not hard to pop them off to look.
Exactly, Where are those 8 gauge wires. The roof connector is on the roadside front corner of the roof. There is a wardrobe on the inside just below it, but I don't see and removable panels inside of it.
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay-Jay View Post
Yes, mine is on the roof, but I need to know where the other end comes out so I can connect the solar controller also from Go Power.
My thor came with everything the panel was on the roof but I couldn't find the solar controller, I needed to call Thor and ask a tech where the wires were. Mine were inside a cupholder inside the front door where all my switches are (big square box with a cup holder in the top) I pulled the cup holder out and there were 4 wires inside shorted out inside. I think they were all red two come from the solar on the roof and two go to the battery. I cut a hole and mounted the box there and programed it for the type of battery. There was a fuse blown by the battery because of the wires touching. I replaced the fuse and it works great keeping the battery charged. They say the controller should be near the battery. Try to follow the wires back from the battery to find where the wires are terminated. There might be a panel in the trailer where your tank gauges and pump switch is. try removing something there and see if the wires are laying inside the wall
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
I would go outside and look at my wires but camping world has it till later today they just put in a new fresh water tank and spilled purple pvc cement on the floor. As soon as I get it back I'll look
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
My thor came with everything the panel was on the roof but I couldn't find the solar controller, I needed to call Thor and ask a tech where the wires were. Mine were inside a cupholder inside the front door where all my switches are (big square box with a cup holder in the top) I pulled the cup holder out and there were 4 wires inside shorted out inside. I think they were all red two come from the solar on the roof and two go to the battery. I cut a hole and mounted the box there and programed it for the type of battery. There was a fuse blown by the battery because of the wires touching. I replaced the fuse and it works great keeping the battery charged. They say the controller should be near the battery. Try to follow the wires back from the battery to find where the wires are terminated. There might be a panel in the trailer where your tank gauges and pump switch is. try removing something there and see if the wires are laying inside the wall
I guess I'll have to remove the breaker/fuse box and check back there but that is nowhere near the battery. I attached a picture above of the wire bank behind the battery that is mounted on the crossmember, but there are no 8 gauge wires there like the ones on the roof connector that came with the Go Power kit (they are red and black).
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
I wonder if you could go on the Jayco site and look up the schematics for the solar or Jayco could email them Monday to you when I had my Jayco motorhome I called them for many of the schematics. I asked about satellite and they show to measure from the back and side and drill a hole in the roof and the cable would be right there, I gave up I wasn't about to drill a hole and hope it was right there
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay-Jay View Post
Hello everyone, First time here and newbe to the travel trailer world. We just bought a new 2022 SLX 224BH a couple of months ago and I just received a Go Power AE6 solar package. I also got a 2000 Watt Converter Charger.

Right now I just need to know where the Solar Converter wires come out from the Go Power unit on the roof. I found the Romax cable labeled for the inverter in the Pass-Thru but no other capped off or MC4 wires. There is a small box on the roadside of the pass-thru. When I removed the cover, there is a bunch of wires that all seem to have a rectangular female pig-tail end to them. The small box that they are connected to has descriptions for the number of flashes for this little green light. The box label is for the travel trailer lights. There are no other wires in the pass-thru.

We looked al over inside and out for a label that might say "Connect Controller Here" which is what our local dealer tech told us to do. No such label in or outside of the trailer. There are a bunch of wires behind the radio, but they are all terminated similar to the box in the pass-thru.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to let you know what I have done. I'm in kinda a time crunch right now too. I leaving for my new home in VA mountains on Friday and need to get this done this weekend. LOL
I think I found where the solar controller goes I was watching a video and in the bedroom as your facing the wall on the left side where the tv mount is to the right of the mount and about six inches off the wardrobe closet by the front of the bed it looks like a solar controller. https://youtu.be/LdY0HP4VHA8
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I wonder if you could go on the Jayco site and look up the schematics for the solar or Jayco could email them Monday to you when I had my Jayco motorhome I called them for many of the schematics. I asked about satellite and they show to measure from the back and side and drill a hole in the roof and the cable would be right there, I gave up I wasn't about to drill a hole and hope it was right there
I did go to the Jayco site and asked if they could tell me where the cables come out. A Customer Service EXPERT emailed me the next day to tell me to have a Jayco Dealer/Installer install the kit. They did not receive a very nice reply. Then she sent a booklet on all the Go Power systems I could install. Still nothing useful. I could try and ask for the schematic, but that won't show where it comes out.

I did remove the control panel where the breakers and fuses are and there are no 8 gauge cables back there either. Lots of smaller ones and some romax for the 120VAC.

Also, Monday I'll be on the road dropping off another trailer with equipment for my move. I won't be back until Tuesday.

I can't believe I have just spent almost $40K on this home and solar and I can't get it hooked up because Jayco or the dealer cannot give me a definitive answer where these cables are. It's just amazing.....
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
Look at the video the solar controller is in the bedroom
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I think I found where the solar controller goes I was watching a video and in the bedroom as your facing the wall on the left side where the tv mount is to the right of the mount and about six inches off the wardrobe closet by the front of the bed it looks like a solar controller. https://youtu.be/LdY0HP4VHA8
Interesting. That is my trailer, but I do not have that just in front of the wardrobe. In the video it is a 30 Amp controller. My system is a little bigger and my controller is 60 Amp and won't fit in the wall. It will need to go in the pass-thru. But that does help somewhat. Just above that controller is the roof connections, so it makes sense that it is there. Unfortunately I don't have that hole in the wall. I guess I'll keep looking for where it might come out, or I'll have to put a hole in the wall. I'm wondering if I make a small hole near the floor, that I might be able to find them there.

Thank you so much for you help Bill. I do appreciate it.
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Bill Johnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SOUTH BELOIT
Posts: 563
Those bore scopes work great I have one that has a 20 foot camera cable that most times is in the way but when I had my Jayco I was able to push it through the ac ducts to look for ant infestations from a campground we stayed at
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:24 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Bland
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Those bore scopes work great I have one that has a 20 foot camera cable that most times is in the way but when I had my Jayco I was able to push it through the ac ducts to look for ant infestations from a campground we stayed at
That's cool. I might have to get me one. I did find what I believe are the wires. I removed the TV cable jack that goes to the antenna that is mounted on the ceiling near the TV and I can see a red and black wire running right past it. It's headed to the front towards the pass-thru. But it doesn't come out anywhere. I put a call into the dealer we we bought it and she will put in a request on Monday to the factory for a wiring diagram. A little late but maybe I'll have to move to plan B. Install the battery bank and use the generator for a while until I can finish (really start) the install after I move. Not what I was hoping for. Maybe I can get the panels mounted as well.

So I guess this will close this thread. Thanks again for your help. It was somewhat successful.
Kay-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
224bh, controller cables, solar prep

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.