Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Well crud (or another word) the window sticker actually says 7200 lbs GVW rating......... There is no way I can get a new truck (just got this one). Not sure what to do at this point MaMa loves the 23MRB and if MaMa ain't happy, well we won't even go there..... I wonder what $$$$ it would take to put the 3.42 gears in?
Unfortunately, your truck's 7200 lb. GVWR in the context of this discussion has very little to do with its tow capacity.

Good news is your truck's engine will have no problems per se pulling the 23MRB--just need to keep it in a lower gear. However, your tranny (and the differential) will suffer the mechanical consequences of significantly more heat, wear and tear compensating for the 3.08's tall gearing. Both will simply suffer in silence
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:35 PM   #22

A few answers to questions not answered yet.
1. The outside kitchen would be fairly simple to remove if you have basic skills. The reality is that you take out the "slideout table," disconnect or plug the propane supply hose, remove the refridgerator and then put in new storage shelves. But, consider that you are now going to have a fairly large area, back of the wheels, and on one side of the TT. With your set up you must be concerned about the weight and balance.
2. We put in a 2500 rear end and have had no trouble pulling the MRB. I went to a local truck rear end shop, shared my concerns since I only had 7% safety margin, and by changing the rear end solved the problem. We have had 4 people, 2 dogs in the TV and had no problems with towing, sway, etc.
3. Smurff's answer on the "ball" is correct for our model but I would check the spec's on the TT since manufacturer's are very clear that they are free to change spec's at any time.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #23

We have a 2007 Silverado and live in Missouri. We have not had any trouble with hills. We have pulled thru the mountains in Colorado as well. And one more vote for the Husky centerline TS WDH as well. We have never had a problem with swaying. Happy camping to you.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2016 23MRB WHITEHAWK
Husky 800-1200 WDH
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #24

I can’t speak to other tow vehicles but with my Jeep Grand Cherokee I took the whole rig to the scales as recommended by others on the forum and checked out all the weights with a concern about payload. Luckily it’s just the wife and me and we don’t pack that much. Everything checked out fine at the scales. Pay attention to the yellow sticker giving all the allowable weights. The Diesel engine in my Jeep hurt the payload a bit.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Unfortunately, your truck's 7200 lb. GVWR in the context of this discussion has very little to do with its tow capacity.

Good news is your truck's engine will have no problems per se pulling the 23MRB--just need to keep it in a lower gear. However, your tranny (and the differential) will suffer the mechanical consequences of significantly more heat, wear and tear compensating for the 3.08's tall gearing. Both will simply suffer in silence
Thanks for bringing everything to my attention at this point I think I will continue with the buying of the 23MRB. Plus I take my truck to my dealer next week for the first of my two free oil changes and I am going to inquire about changing the gears. Who knows they may have someone who wants to go the other way with their gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
A few answers to questions not answered yet.
1. The outside kitchen would be fairly simple to remove if you have basic skills. The reality is that you take out the "slideout table," disconnect or plug the propane supply hose, remove the refridgerator and then put in new storage shelves. But, consider that you are now going to have a fairly large area, back of the wheels, and on one side of the TT. With your set up you must be concerned about the weight and balance.
2. We put in a 2500 rear end and have had no trouble pulling the MRB. I went to a local truck rear end shop, shared my concerns since I only had 7% safety margin, and by changing the rear end solved the problem. We have had 4 people, 2 dogs in the TV and had no problems with towing, sway, etc.
3. Smurff's answer on the "ball" is correct for our model but I would check the spec's on the TT since manufacturer's are very clear that they are free to change spec's at any time.
Thanks for talking about the removal of the outside kitchen I had already thought about the weight and plan on weighing what I remove and stay as close to that weight as I can. With us there is only the 2 of us and we tend to travel lite as it is we can, over the years we have purged and not carrying extra (stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedebb View Post
We have a 2007 Silverado and live in Missouri. We have not had any trouble with hills. We have pulled thru the mountains in Colorado as well. And one more vote for the Husky centerline TS WDH as well. We have never had a problem with swaying. Happy camping to you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman65 View Post
I can’t speak to other tow vehicles but with my Jeep Grand Cherokee I took the whole rig to the scales as recommended by others on the forum and checked out all the weights with a concern about payload. Luckily it’s just the wife and me and we don’t pack that much. Everything checked out fine at the scales. Pay attention to the yellow sticker giving all the allowable weights. The Diesel engine in my Jeep hurt the payload a bit.
Thanks again for your help.....
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Thanks for the tips about the Husky WDH I'll check it out. As far as not being in a race I learned a long time ago to slow down and let the "Truckers" fight you instead if me fighting them. After I am retired and they are working so they can retire one day...

Glad to hear you both have no had a of problems. Have either one of you considered removing the outside kitchen? I sure would like more outside storage. It's just the 2 of us and don't see us using the outside kitchen.

I don't really a Dealer close so I am leaning towards ordering on line and having it delivered that's like 500 miles from me. They have already quoted me a price I can live with. I may take their offer to a dealer that is about 150 miles from me and see if they will match it..

Thanks again. LeeB

P.S. What size Ball do you have? 2" or 2 5/16?
I am leaning towards the 23MRB myself. About ordering, order and go pick it up yourself. Save a grip of money. Typical transport charge is $1.80 to $2 a mile..... if you are lucky.

I really don't see using the outside kitchen either. Who knows at this point. Even if I don't, will probably just leave it and ignore it.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #27

Howdy to a fellow Californian, I tow a Jay Feather 7 18RBM with a 6 cyl. Tacoma with a towing package. I added Timbrens to help the handling, and a Scanguage to monitor transmission and water temperatures.

Anderson WDH which seems to work well on the lighter trailers. I've towed over 152 from I5 to Gilroy with the High Wind advisory sign light without problems.

It's just the wife and I, so a smaller trailer is perfect and the Murphy bed gives lots of room in the day time.

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:26 PM   #28

Quote:
You have a 2500 rear end. I can't help but wonder what the gear ratio is. Do you have any problems climbing Mission or Altamont Pass? I am very familiar with those.....

Thanks LeeB
Sorry for the late reply. I do not have any trouble climbing an 8% grade, which I have now done on 2 separate trips. Mission and Altamont are a snap.

Interesting update. The van (3.5 engine) just stopped running (while driving) 3 times in the past month. I took it to my mechanic who did major research for me. He said (and dealer confirmed) that there is a technical bulletin on the issue. It seems that the cam sensor (magnet) failed due to the gear on the cam and sensor no longer communicating correctly. This causes the sensor to not send a signal to the "computer" which then doesn't send a signal to let in any air; the van just stops running. This is a known problem with the 3.5 engine. The new parts, both the gear and the sensors have been redesigned to address this issue and both the dealer and the mechanic state that there should not be any more problems. Sad that I have less than 35,000 on the engine and it is a 2013 with a 5 year warranty (warranty is expired) and all I got from Chevy was, if it is really this issue we might give you 15 -20% off the repair.

Long story, short. We had to postpone our 3 week trip to Oregon next week. Luckily, every campground where we booked gladly moved our reservations for us. Only the state parks charged us a "reschedule" fee.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. I do not have any trouble climbing an 8% grade, which I have now done on 2 separate trips. Mission and Altamont are a snap.

Interesting update. The van (3.5 engine) just stopped running (while driving) 3 times in the past month. I took it to my mechanic who did major research for me. He said (and dealer confirmed) that there is a technical bulletin on the issue. It seems that the cam sensor (magnet) failed due to the gear on the cam and sensor no longer communicating correctly. This causes the sensor to not send a signal to the "computer" which then doesn't send a signal to let in any air; the van just stops running. This is a known problem with the 3.5 engine. The new parts, both the gear and the sensors have been redesigned to address this issue and both the dealer and the mechanic state that there should not be any more problems. Sad that I have less than 35,000 on the engine and it is a 2013 with a 5 year warranty (warranty is expired) and all I got from Chevy was, if it is really this issue we might give you 15 -20% off the repair.

Long story, short. We had to postpone our 3 week trip to Oregon next week. Luckily, every campground where we booked gladly moved our reservations for us. Only the state parks charged us a "reschedule" fee.
Thanks for the reply, sorry for your problems with the engine. Do you mean 5.3? I am still up in the air as far as me being able to tow the 23RBM with the 3.08 rear end I have......
Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #30

Sorry, long weekend. Yes my engine is a 5.3L.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Sorry, long weekend. Yes my engine is a 5.3L.
LoL Whew no problem........