Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

23rlsw storage

Has anybody opened up the cabinets next to the bed in the 23 RLSW? I am thinking that there might be additional storage space in there. Thoughts?
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:30 AM   #2

The front pass through area is behind them. Using any room in there would interfere with the pass through storge.
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

FYI, those spaces are the ends of your passthrough storage. Although I have been tempted to open them up and put a drawer at the top. The higher elevations of the passthrough storage never get used, so I wouldn't miss the space.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
FYI, those spaces are the ends of your passthrough storage. Although I have been tempted to open them up and put a drawer at the top. The higher elevations of the passthrough storage never get used, so I wouldn't miss the space.
Roger
Our Jay Flight 27RLS has a similar floorplan etc. I'm considering adding a shelf next to the side of the bed at the same level as the bed's plywood platform. My woodworking skills are lacking so adding a presentable and workable drawer at the end is above my ability.

Like rkresge, we don't use that upper part of the passthrough storage and I don't see that changing.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

It's the one thing I don't like about my 23 RLSW, lack of good storage.

It baffles me why Jayco put such small doors access doors to the pass thru storage.

There seems to be room for larger doors to make access easier.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

23RLSW storage

I agree...the storage access doors could have been a lot bigger! The size they chose to use limit the size of the items stored and also the ability to modify the interior of the storage area. Are larger doors available through Jayco for a modification? I might have to look into that. Could it be a weight issue? I would really like more usable storage.
Vince
2017 Jayco 23RLSW
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 08-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
I agree...the storage access doors could have been a lot bigger! The size they chose to use limit the size of the items stored and also the ability to modify the interior of the storage area. Are larger doors available through Jayco for a modification? I might have to look into that. Could it be a weight issue? I would really like more usable storage.
Vince
2017 Jayco 23RLSW
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
I'm sure you could get larger doors from Jayco from other models. The question is, where are the framing studs in the walls and would you have to cut thru them for the larger doors.

These so called engineers just can't see the big picture and what are the real world conditions that make a better camping expierience.

I guess it's " throw the smallest, cheapest doors on it, they won't notice."
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Can larger doors be purchased through Jayco? Would larger door mod void the warranty? I think we could fit a 24"x24" or a 24"x17" without any visible problems. Does anybody have any other thoughts or ideas for this? Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #9

Having been a carpenter in an earlier life, I'm sure we could change the framing or beef up what's there to accommodate the new door size.