Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

25BHS under bunk storage access mod

Under the bunk is storage acceded by lifting up a plywood door under the bed. I was thinking of ordering a kitchen cabinet door from Jayco and putting an access door in the front panel. Has anyone done this before?

We put our dirty laundry in there and it would be nice to just open a door instead of lifting a huge piece of plywood
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

That's a good idea. I have the same storage and have zero desire to lift the bottom bunk to continue to use it... which explains why that area on my camper is currently empty. There is a curve on that section, but otherwise should be a simple mod. Please post pics if you go ahead with it.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

I will let you know if I get it done. It will just depend on how much Jayco charges for a cabinet door. I just want it to look nice and like it was made for the TT. I will get it done but I may have to have a cabinet shop make a door for me.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

I was also trying to figure out a more practical way of using that bunk storage just last weekend. The front cabinet door access is nice, however, the bunk storage is deep when accessed through the front. Chances are you won't be able to stuff much in the back portion of the storage.

I think Jayco made the bunk storage small enough that you can't stuff much in there because it sits behind the wheels which could make the trailer tail heavy.

I was thinking of just adding hydraulic struts just like the ones on the master bed storage. Haven't had a chance to measure what length would be appropriate.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #5

Being as I'm a cabinet maker by trade, I plan to put drawers along both bed frames in my 27BH. The storage beyond the depth of the drawers can still be accessed by lifting the beds. The door for the dirty clothes is a good idea too. I may put a door in end of the master bed where it's close to a wall. Drawers aren't that practical if you can't pull them out very far. And, there is never a good place for dirty clothes. Good idea Dropnaduece
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #6

:Yea I thought of doing the arm thing too. I have tried to use it for storage but it is a pain in the arse to get anything in and out of it cause it's deep and the bed pushes the access door down on you when reaching in there. So wife and I just put a laundry basket that fits in the odd shape and toss dirty clothes in it. But what sucks is when my son is laying on the bed he either has to get out or roll over to the side to lift it up so the clothes end up in the corner on the floor. That's why I would like to put the door in the front so we can toss them from the front and when we get home we only have to reach in there once to clean out the clothes.

Hey Olbrier, if you can make a door that somewhat matches the cabinets I would buy one off you. I could probably make one if I can find the right materials. I just don't know where I can go to buy similar laminated wood that I can make a frame of the door. Then I could use the panel I cut out of the front for the door. Wait maybe I could just make my own now that I'm thinking about it...hmmm?
Old 09-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

I may end up just opening up that entire area, add an LED light, and throwing a dog bed down there. Turn it into a '3 bunk' that way and could more easily use that spot for short term storage when needed. Maybe attach a bungee cord or 2 that can span the new opening when traveling and just put some light items in crates back there. It is an awkward space.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

That sounds like a good idea too but my dog is 80lb lab so I think she would not go for that If there wasn't a boxed in piping around the bottom inside edge it would be more helpful to use that area. But we do need plumbing . Dirty clothes hamper is the best option for my family until the kids go to college.

Journey on...
Old 09-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

I had the same issue with my jay feather 26bhsw. I looked at all of the cabinets in my trailer to see which door would be the best match for area below the bunk. I ended up ordering the bathroom cabinet door. As soon as it comes in and I install I will post pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark.nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #10

Cool can't wait to see the pictures
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #11

If you guys have seen that movie 'meet the Fockers' With Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman, (and if you haven't, you should) I think that cubbie would make a pretty cool spy bunk like the ex-CIA dad had under his Class A motorhome. There has to be a cool use for that area... tight quarters though..
Old 09-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
If you guys have seen that movie 'meet the Fockers' With Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman, (and if you haven't, you should) I think that cubbie would make a pretty cool spy bunk like the ex-CIA dad had under his Class A motorhome. There has to be a cool use for that area... tight quarters though..
Got kick out of this reply...funny
Old 09-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
:Yea I thought of doing the arm thing too. I have tried to use it for storage but it is a pain in the arse to get anything in and out of it cause it's deep and the bed pushes the access door down on you when reaching in there. So wife and I just put a laundry basket that fits in the odd shape and toss dirty clothes in it. But what sucks is when my son is laying on the bed he either has to get out or roll over to the side to lift it up so the clothes end up in the corner on the floor. That's why I would like to put the door in the front so we can toss them from the front and when we get home we only have to reach in there once to clean out the clothes.

Hey Olbrier, if you can make a door that somewhat matches the cabinets I would buy one off you. I could probably make one if I can find the right materials. I just don't know where I can go to buy similar laminated wood that I can make a frame of the door. Then I could use the panel I cut out of the front for the door. Wait maybe I could just make my own now that I'm thinking about it...hmmm?
Making a matching door would be no fun. Making many would be easier. I had planned on making making something attractive enough but not attempting to match the existing. Ordering one that matches would be far cheaper than having a single door made.
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #14

Don't the newer Jaycos have the hydraulic cylinder lifters? Our 2011 does and it is actually pretty easy to open and access.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
Don't the newer Jaycos have the hydraulic cylinder lifters? Our 2011 does and it is actually pretty easy to open and access.
Under the queen bed they do, this is that storage area under the bunk beds.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #16

I would love to put an access door in for the under bunk storage area. I haven't seen any posts here describing how you would mount a flat door to a curved surface though. Anyone have a solution?

Dale
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #17

I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. My 23MBH has very little outside storage and the only place to store things like the BBQ and lanterns is under the rear bunk. I dread having to get into there every time we go camping and putting an exterior access door wouldn't be large enough. So I to am planning on putting one large door on the inside to access that space easier. I work for a cabinet door manufacturer so making matching doors is no problem for me and I have plans for other storage areas inside that will require doors as well. Hopefully if and when I do these mods I will post pictures of what I've done.
sd396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.nowak View Post
I had the same issue with my jay feather 26bhsw. I looked at all of the cabinets in my trailer to see which door would be the best match for area below the bunk. I ended up ordering the bathroom cabinet door. As soon as it comes in and I install I will post pictures.

Just wondering if you ended up doing this? Trying to brainstorm some ideas. Thanks!
.............................................Diablew Tune

SEAHAWKS_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:58 AM   #19

The cabinet door is still not installed, it is laying on the bunk. I ended up buying a new house about the time the door came in so this project got moved down pretty far on my honey do list. Haha. Hopefully I get it done in the next week or two and I will post pictures.

mark.nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #20

I think a long drawer on rollers or casters to pull it out would be my preference. I'd rather access the stuff waaaaaaay in the back by NOT getting in the bunk area to get it. A simple latch could hold it closed, and it could ride on the tile floor... no need for drawer guides. If needed when hauling bikes or large items, pull it out and set it in the garage, or even on the bunk for use after arrival at camp.

kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote

« New Mattress | AC »