Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #1

264BHW or 287BHSW...what to choose...what to choose?

I'm going to be getting a new TT in the next week and I'm trying to decide between the 264BHW and the 287BHSW. We like the 287's layout and extra space a lot but we're trying to decide if it's worth the extra $4000 and higher weight. We are a family of 4 and one of my goals is to get something that I won't feel I need to upgrade in a couple years.

I'd be interested in hearing anybody's thoughts on these two trailers. Do you feel the 264 is enough space or do you wish you had more space? Are the slide outs reliable or do they break down a lot? Do you find that the 287 is too much space and you wish you got a lighter trailer to tow? etc...

Also, I'm being quoted prices around $13,400 and $17,400 for the 264 and 287 respectively. Based on your experiences do those seem like good prices?

Thanks in advance!

Mystere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
I'm going to be getting a new TT in the next week and I'm trying to decide between the 264BHW and the 287BHSW. We like the 287's layout and extra space a lot but we're trying to decide if it's worth the extra $4000 and higher weight. We are a family of 4 and one of my goals is to get something that I won't feel I need to upgrade in a couple years.

I'd be interested in hearing anybody's thoughts on these two trailers. Do you feel the 264 is enough space or do you wish you had more space? Are the slide outs reliable or do they break down a lot? Do you find that the 287 is too much space and you wish you got a lighter trailer to tow? etc...

Also, I'm being quoted prices around $13,400 and $17,400 for the 264 and 287 respectively. Based on your experiences do those seem like good prices?

Storage is the real issue with these two models. Not much in the kitchen, I am afraid.

Thanks in advance!
The problem with the 264 is that there is very little storage, especially in the kitchen. I would not pay over $12K for it.

The the 287 should not be over $16, 700. Maybe less.

I suggest requesting an on line quote for Indiana RV Express. Ask for Jessica.
If you want to buy local, use these prices to beat the local dealer over the head with.

Good luck. Maybe with the money I just saved you, you can upgrade!!!!

King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #3

Welcome!

Guess the first question is what do you have for a tv (tow vehicle)? If it's a '06 or newer it will have a yellow sticker in the drivers door, stating "all passengers and cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs". What is that amount?

About how much does the family weigh? Younger kids? If so, they only get bigger and heavier....

If you currently have a trailer, about how much additional cargo is in the tv?

Asking these questions because a lot of us have bought a trailer that is a little to heavy for our vehicle based in the gv cargo capacity. All passengers, cargo, any accessories added to the vehicle after it left the factory, and the trailer tw (tongue/hitch weight) all add toward the vehicle payload capacity. Just because a tv can "tow" 10klbs doesn't mean it has the payload for the tw, passengers, and cargo. There is a huge difference between towing a flatbed trailer vs a tt (travel trailer).

As for price, not sure what year they are but on average you should get close to if not 30% off msrp per Jayco's website. We got about that off our '16- 32 BHDS this past July.

Also look into a good or wdh (weight distribution hitch) with integrated sway control. The Reese Dual Cam, Reese SC, and Eqaul-I-Zer 4 way system are all very good. The DC is a little more finicky setting up, and the SC and 4 way system are a little easier (and very similar to each other). Reese does offer a little more but you can't go wrong with any of the three.

Having a little more room never hurt anyone. Only downside is if you want to stay in a national park where the sites are smaller. The larger trailer may not fit.

Good luck deciding!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #4

Thanks. I have a F150 with max trailer tow package which gives me 11,500 tow capacity on paper but I did not think about the payload capacity. I'll have to look into that.

For the prices I should have mentioned those were out the door prices including hitch setup. The prices before tax, hitch, fees, etc was about $11,700 and $16,400 if that helps.
Mystere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Site Team

I can tell you this without going into the weights and what your truck can pull (and do not buy something you cannot safely tow), My first trailer had no slide and was too small. My current trailer has a small sofa slide and is OK for a family but if I had done it over again I would have gotten a larger slide to have more space in the living room area. My next trailer may not be much longer but will have the large slide for sure. So when you say you do not want to upgrade again in a few years my recommendation would be the larger unit with the slideout for a family of 4. The 26BH is a nice and popular floorplan but with no slide they can get a bit tight in the middle. Just my 2 cents.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

I think it all depends on you and your family - you will get a spectrum of answers on here depending on how people use their TT. We had a similar decision between a 26BH and 26BHS. We are a family of 4 (our kids are 3&5yo now) and a dog. We don't tend to sit around in the camper (even on rainy days) when we go camping. It is really a place to cook some meals (mostly outside) and sleep. We are off to see the sights, swim, hike, etc... Our dog spends more time in the camper than we do...
Given that, we opted against the extra cost/weight/maintenance of the slide. We have camped a season and a half in it now and couldn't be happier. Works for us, but not for all.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
I think it all depends on you and your family - you will get a spectrum of answers on here depending on how people use their TT. We had a similar decision between a 26BH and 26BHS. We are a family of 4 (our kids are 3&5yo now) and a dog. We don't tend to sit around in the camper (even on rainy days) when we go camping. It is really a place to cook some meals (mostly outside) and sleep. We are off to see the sights, swim, hike, etc... Our dog spends more time in the camper than we do...
Given that, we opted against the extra cost/weight/maintenance of the slide. We have camped a season and a half in it now and couldn't be happier. Works for us, but not for all.
Very true, some want only a backpacking tent and others want a 5 slide 300K class A. In the end it all comes down to personal preferences and choices, camping styles, affordability, and can I tow it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

What are the weights of the two trailers? If you search F150 on here you will probably see a lot of threads talking about it's limitations specifically regarding payload. A heavier trailer will have a heavier tongue weight therefore taking up valuable payload. Definitely something to take into consideration especially if you will have more kids.

Previous TV: 2004 Ford Exedition w/ heavy duty tow package[/COLOR]
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #9

If you are a family of 4 and think you need a 4000 sqr ft house then go with 287, if you have a family of 6 and live with comfort on a 2200 sqr ft house, then the 264 will be fine for you... How about that?
We are a family of 5 and are considering the 26BHSW as a compromise since it has a small sofa slide... But we camped 2 weeks last December in a 10'x14' tent for two weeks straight so we are a family that like to live close together....
About the weight, if you figure out that the 287 is too heavy, Passport have a 29ft that has as much as space and weights only 5K lbs....

For a person may labor with wisdom, knowledge and skill, and then they must leave all they own to another who has not toiled for it. This too is meaningless ... Ecclesiastes 2:21
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #10

Neithier.....27BHS. Perfect for family of four!

borninblue is offline   Reply With Quote