Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2024, 07:16 PM   #1

267BHS Back Bumper Issues

Hi,

I purchased my first RV last year (Jayco 267BHS) so that my family and I could go out to some National Parks and this April to see the solar eclipse. Unfortunately, due to a situation with my mother-in-law and other issues we were not able to go on any trips last summer, but we were able to go see the eclipse this spring.

When I purchased the RV I was told that the sewer hose was stored in the 4” square bumper. I thought was probably a good place. When I took the cap off the end of the bumper and tried to place the hose in it would only go in short ways. I took a flashlight, looked in the bumper and saw that there were screws blocking the way. This screw held the support jack in place. I called Bish to see if this was an issue and they said that they have not heard about it before. At least, the tech I talked to said that. They scheduled an appointment for it to be fixed. A day or two later a lady from Bish called back and said Jayco said it was by design and they would not fix it and if I wanted to push the issue I would need to call Jayco.

Again, when I bought the RV I was told that is where the hose was stored. I looked in the owner’s manual and it clearly says that there is either an outside compartment labeled “sewer hose storage” OR the rear bumper will have removable ends for hose storage. I called Jayco customer support and talked with a lady who asked for the VIN and then put me on hold for a few minutes. When she came back she was incredibly rude (I was never rude to her) and told me that it was by design and there is nothing they will do. When I informed her I was told this when I purchased the RV and that it’s in their owner’s manual she said that Jayco reserves the right to change anything at any time including the design of their campers and the owner’s manual and they are not responsible for fixing it.

I have many questions stemming from this issue. First of all, is this what I should expect from Jayco and their customer service? Has anyone heard about this issue before or am I just the lucky guy who had a design change with my RV? The other troubling thing is this looks like someone cut a corner. What else has Jayco cut corners on in building this RV? This brings me to other issues we had such as only some of the electrical plugs working. The pocket doors and the main door aren’t right either.

My family and I had a great time on our trip, but I am completely disappointed with this purchase. When I was researching campers, I read that Jayco was one of the good companies. I guess not.
EclipseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 07:47 PM   #2

Could you post a picture?
When you say support jack, do you mean the stabilizer on each corner?

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:01 PM   #3

Yes, sorry, stabilizers.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:08 PM   #4

Stabilizer Screws in Bumper

Here is the image.
Attached Thumbnails
20240403_152652.jpg  
Old 04-23-2024, 05:27 AM   #5
Site Team

I haven't ever seen stab jacks attached to a bumper, but yes, all RV manufacturers have the same disclaimer about design changes without notice. It's common practice, partly due to availability of components. I'd be interested to know the difference between yours and a previous years model jack and attach point.

Without pictures of the style of your jacks, the mounting, and of your frame back there, it's only a guess that you may be able to either relocate the ones you have or get a different type to attach elsewhere on the back part of the frame, if it's suitable to handle them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:09 AM   #6

^^^^2
I’ve never seen the stabilizers attached to a square tube bumper.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 07:37 AM   #7

I understand minor changes, but this completely removes a feature that they use to sell the RV. I found several other sites that list the bumper as the storage area for the hose. Again, it’s in the owner’s manual.

That is a pretty wide brush they give themselves, isn’t it? I wish I had that for my work. If a product I sell doesn’t work I can just say, “hey we changed the description and we reserve the right to do so without notice.” I think that is cowardly.

The other piece is how rude the lady got when I wasn’t rude with her one bit. Again, I’m really disappointed with Jayco and this purchase.
Old 04-23-2024, 07:52 AM   #8

Unfortunately, this is SOP for the industry. The owner's manual is barely a set of suggestions much less guidelines. It covers every possible combination of components with the open loophole that they can swap in whatever else they may want to do.

Overall, I'd be more worried that they attached the stab jacks to the non-structural bumper.

Either deal with it or fix it yourself. I wouldn't suggest expecting much from the manufacturers other than warrantying major safety issues you can prove are theirs. Your local dealership might be more apt to help out of goodwill or for pay but not the mfrs.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:17 PM   #9

Not a good place for the hose anyway. You have to get too familiar with the hose to stuff. Even though I rinse the hose I still minimize the handling of it. I keep mine in a black plastic bag and I grab the bag and take to the bump hole. When done I stuff it back in the bag.
I have alway thought to get some kind of container but so far just a garbage bag.
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:39 PM   #10

Not in any way shape or form trying to be a smarty here so please don't take this as such. Have you tried sliding the hose in from the other side? My Rhino hose collapses and is only about 4 feet long when it's scrunched. When I had campers with square bumpers I always had to poke it in there extended and the scrunch it otherwise it would end up in the middle and I'd have to get a stick to poke it out of there.

Also, why not just remove the bolt? Standard jacks usually have 4 and 3 will keep it on there just fine. There's also potentially another spot to move the jack to. Without seeing it from another angle I can't say for sure where though. I get you're frustrated and they are giving you lame excuses but there are other ways to carry a hose besides the bumper.

Go camping as often as you can before you're out of warranty and then hung with something really expensive.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:17 AM   #11

I don’t use the bumper for storage. It’s really hard to get the Rhino hose in that 4 inch bumper. I was able to fit an 8 inch PVC pipe in between the spare tire carrier and trailer wall, and zip-tie it to the bumper. A lot easier to get the hose in and out now and it won’t rust out from stinky moisture. Drilled some small holes in the PVC pipe if any excess drainage and airiation to dry the pipe out. Plus I didn’t want a sewer pipe in the stuffy storage bay with my other stuff.
Lonetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 01:32 PM   #12

I use the bumper for hose storage, and yeah, sometimes there is a little organic residue that eventually dissipates. Since Thorjayco takes little responsibility for the silly way they decide (on a whim?) to do things, I find myself finishing the job the way I want the trailer to be. I would relocate the jacks to the rear of the frame, fill in the screw holes with epoxy paddy and use the bumper as you wish.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
I use the bumper for hose storage. I would relocate the jacks to the rear of the frame, fill in the screw holes with epoxy paddy and use the bumper as you wish.
I agree.
MrJeep is offline   Reply With Quote