Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #1

26BH fiberglass or aluminum

Hi. New to the forum. My wife and I are seriously leaning toward purchasing a Jayco for many reasons. We have a dealer 10 min from the house which seems convenient for warranty service and such. We were considering a different trailer 1.5 hours away. We also really like the layout of the Jay Flight 26 BH. The local dealer has 2 in stock. 1 is fiberglass laminated and has a few extras and 1 is the aluminum panels. I have read mixed opinions. Anyone have any experience with this trailer in either build. Good and bad experiences welcome. Thank you.
Hopefully soon to be trailer camper.
Jason
cubsflfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

I have the 2014 264bh Swift which is essentially the same design with the fiberglass. It is heavier than the aluminum as well as more expensive. I like the look of the smooth side and it is very easy to clean. Others on the forum will cite possible delamination issues. So far I have not experienced that. I did have a crack in the front cap that was replaced by Jayco with no questions asked. As far as delamination issues, be sure to check the roof seals to prevent any water leaking into the walls. This would be necessary on an aluminum camper also. Proper maintenance is important with any camper. I didn't want to go with the aluminum because it dents too easily and would be a pain in the rear to wax. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

I say go with which ever one you like the best. I don't think you will go wrong with either one.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #3

Just bought a 26 bhs fiberglass siding a little over a month ago washed it 1x already very easy to clean ...previous camper was aluminum siding had black streaks everywhere that would not come off so my opinion go fiberglass shell
Tdevito72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #4

Our aluminum sided 26BH is 2 years old and the exterior is holding up well. I put a small scratch in the siding when I backed into a wood post but it's hardly noticeable. If it had been significant, I'd guess the dealer could have replaced part of the siding but on a fiberglass model, a repair like that might be more labor intensive. As for the black streaks, they are there but not that bad. There are a number of commercial cleaners that remove them easily.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #5

1) The JayFlight fiberglass option is not the same vacuum bonded panels Jayco touts for the other lines with fiberglass.
2) In JayFlight the fiberglass sides are hung on the same wood frame. Often fiberglass side walls are hung over an aluminum framing. Just pointing it out if you weren't aware and possible care.
3). Black streaks are from the roof, siding has no affect on that.
3b -- not sure why folks think fiberglass is so much easier to clean. I hand wash my aluminum sided TT after every trip, as well I had wax it twice a year. We also have 32' sailboat which is all gelcoat fiberglass and it is a much bigger PIA to wash and wax.

If Jayco would have used the same vacuum bonding process on the JayFlights they have on whitehawk & eagle lines I might consider it. Using Jayco's own claim that vacuum bonding is superior to other processes, then we have accept that the JayFlight uses an inferior process.

The lack of gelcoat or gloss on the JayFlight fiberglass side walls was also a negative for me.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

I have had a jayco aluminum sided and now have a fiberglass sided. I much prefer the fiberglass.

If you brush up too close to a tree with the aluminum you have a permanent crease whereas with the Fiberglas it is much stronger and you can buff out the scrape.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #7

No matter which type of exterior siding, I recommend the Lucas Oil spray wax. It is easy to apply and buffs quickly and easily to a nice shine. But even better, it makes it easy to clean black streaks and bugs. I apply a coat to the front cap before every trip and the bugs wipe away with a damp cloth. It's what the hot-rodders use at car shows. (Ever wonder how they can drive 200 miles to an event and the car looks spotless?!)

I had fiberglass on my Outback. Had delamination bubbles on the upper front cap after about five years - no water intrusion - just heat and the fact the panel was flexed so much. Also - the side that faced the sun in storage lost its shine after about five years, from oxidation. I just got my aluminum sided Jayco and have yet to form an opinion. So far, the black streaks wipe away more easily than on the fiberglass.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #8

I have no opinion on the fiberglass as only had aluminum on 4 TTs. Never had an issue cleaning any of these TTs. Only problem I've had is aluminum panels separated on my 1977 Taurus TT which was easy fix, but then this TT sits in the woods as my hunting camp and only gets maintenance when something goes bad (ugly old bugger that I still clean annually)...

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #9

I really wanted a fiberglass sided trailer for both appearance and ease of cleaning. However, after seeing the front wall of my dad's 2013 trailer completely delaminate from (1) relatively small leak I decided against fiberglass. My dealer also stated that if I was going to keep my trailer more than 5yrs they recommend aluminum too strictly due to costs for repairing delaminated fiberglass. I wish the RV manufactures would step up their game a bit and offer a product that can be exposed to water and not have adverse affects. I believe Azdel is a product being used now that has those qualities but the cost is steep. At some point during any trailer's life a water leak is inevitable but a leak shouldn't mean the owner then has to replace an entire wall. I will stick with ugly, low dent resistance aluminum, for now.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #10

I have always had a fiberglass TT but part of my choice was based on the following info from my insurance co. and fellow campers that are insurance adjusters.
1) Insurance rates {at least from quotes I've gotten} are less for fiberglass vs. aluminum TTs, probably based on point 2.
2) aluminum TTs are more prone to hail damage

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'15 Jayco Eagle 338RETS
thodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

I had a Jayflight with aluminum siding and two Eagles with smooth sides. Both variations of siding were easy to keep clean with a good soap and water. I do like to apply wax to my TTs, so obviously the smooth side is easier to do than the aluminum sided models.

For looks and ease of waxing I prefer the smooth sides.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #12

Waxing a trailer is not something I care to do a my 70+ age. I have had both aluminum and fiberglass. Either is just fine for me.

I don't think I would pay the extra for fiberglass on a Jay Flight.

Either type is easy to wash.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #13

I see many more delamination issues than dented aluminum at the campgrounds I have worked at. Also after touring the factory a few weeks back I was less than impressed with their procedures for laminating the fiberglass reinforced plastic panels they use. I use to vacuum laminating for years and in my opinion they don't have proper adhesion of the panel. When I pointed that issue out to our tour guide I got a blank stare...he, while nice, had no clue.

I purchased aluminum.. Also there is no difference between pinch rolling a flat sidewall and vacuum pressure (actually atmospheric pressure) to apply the non flat panels...it comes down to adhesive, time, temperature humidity and glue coverage.

Aluminum is hung with mechanical fasteners, plastic panels with glue...when you have dissimilar materials, being glued with an adhesive that must remain somewhat plyable due to movement of the metal and plastic panels, along with the movement down the road your asking for issues down the road...especially when you add in weather...120 in Az or minus 40 in Canada... failure is almost guaranteed. JMHO

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I had my share of Fiberglass TT and tell the truth they looks nice. Insulation factors are better. Had also delaminating and bulging. Even a 1985 who had the gel coat cracking. But would not buy another one. I will stick to the aluminum siding which is easy to maintain and repair. So it is up to each his/her own preferences.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
I don't think I would pay the extra for fiberglass on a Jay Flight.
+1

Love my aluminum side 26bh. I've never had fiberglass, but I wouldn't be worried about buying one. To me TT's are all about floor plan. Pick the one you want and make your best deal.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #16

With the hail storms we get around here (Alberta) I won't consider an aluminum sided unit. Though you can get some decent deals on brand new units during the annual "Hail Sales" that the dealership seem to have! But the units look like someone went to town on them with a ball peen hammer.