Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

26BH Lower bunk/HVAC Question

We are out camping again in our new trailer and all is going great... But my oldest son is sleeping in the lower bunk and he got a little warm/hot last night. His bunk does not have air provided like all the other areas in the trailer (top bunk has its own air vent) ... Any thoughts or work around any of you with similar situations have done to balance air or some cooling affect for that bunk... Yes he left the curtains open.. We have a fan set up for tonight but curious if any other work arounds/thoughts...Thanks Michael.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
mbpayne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #2

My kids complained about the same issue. I believe heat from the uninsulated rear storage area under the bunks is the issue. I bought a sheet of foam board insulation and cut it to fit between the 2x2 framing in the rear storage compartment. I plan to cover the foam at some point with some 1/4" lauan but it has helped a bit. At night, I also place a small fan on the vanity sink and point it toward the bunk area to help circulate air into the bunks.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:59 AM   #3

We have the same issue with getting hot in the lower bunk. One of the very few design flaws in the unit. We just go with a fan pointed towards the bunk opening and it keeps our daughter comfortable. Wish there was a better way to get the AC to that bunk, but nothing that I am aware of is out there.
My poor daughter tried to sleep with her head at the deep end of the bunk, it was like we stuck her in a slow cooker. Finally convinced her to sleep with her head towards the opening
racertoms27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

I did the same thing Iraqvet did regarding the insulation and it worked very well. Our baby girl was getting too cold in that lower bunk at night and the insulation brought the temperature up by 3-5*C at night to make it more or less what the main body of the coach is at. I used the foam board insulation cut to fit between the 2X2 frame, sheets on the roof of the storage compartment (bottom of the bed) and luan or sub flooring to cover it all up. I also spray foamed all the seams and gaps. My trailer has the same bunk space area as yours.

We also have a fan on each bunk that clips onto the dividing wall between the dinette and bunks that gently blows fresh air into each bunk area. There is 1 air conditioning vent in the ceiling in the bunk area which should be wide open and blowing down towards the bunk openings. Between these 2 mods, your problems will be solved!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #5

Small fans in the bunks have made a huge difference for us. I plan to go from 120v electric fans to 12 volt fans so I can run them and keep air circulation in the bunks while traveling, we have stopped late at night more than once to sleep for the night and those bunks take FOREVER to cool down, much longer than the rest of the camper.

I may check into the insulation in the storage area suggested as well in other posts

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #6

Our 2015 doesn't have the vent in either bunk, so we have clip on fans on the divider wall blowing into both bunks. Even with that, the lower one still gets warmer - I have found that turning off the water heater at night helps. Also, we don't use the chill-n-store fridge because it really heats up the lower bunk - I plan to make it pull out and set on a stand outside, but haven't gotten around to it...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallman1 View Post
Small fans in the bunks have made a huge difference for us. I plan to go from 120v electric fans to 12 volt fans so I can run them and keep air circulation in the bunks while traveling, we have stopped late at night more than once to sleep for the night and those bunks take FOREVER to cool down, much longer than the rest of the camper.

I may check into the insulation in the storage area suggested as well in other posts
Thanks for the information on the 12 volt fans. Do you already have the type and details on the 12 volt fans you would buy?

Old 06-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #8

Thank you all for the feedback so far fans, foam insulation, and cutting off the water heater seem to be the best bet to keep that lower bunk at the remaining cabin room temperature.

On foam insulation are you using any adhesive to attach or just adding the Luan cover to hold in place.

Fans, I am interested in purchasing some 12 volts as mentioned earlier as well but was not sure where the power source is to use as well as the type to buy.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #9

Not sure where the water heater is in a 26BH but in ours it's right there adding heat to that lower bunk area. Showering early, turning off the water heater, and running some cool water into it helps some. We also have clip-on fans for both bunks. They clip on to the cell phone shelf and there's an AC plug there for them. I've slept there doing these things, and it's comfortable. Camping in the winter as we mostly do, the water heater is actually nice for both bunks, so it stays on in electric mode... and the fans don't get much use when it's chilly...
Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #10

Our 2015 has no vents in either bunk, but I knew this when I bought it. I do have plans to make a duct going to both bunks, fed off of the bathroom duct. Hard to explain, but just know it's doable if your handy. Bathroom duct has one of the strongest air flows in our rig. Kids don't complain since I have an existing duct pointed at them, but my add-some-ducts mod is somewhere in the middle of the long list.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #11

I plan to install some 80mm DC PC computer fans with a rheostat to adjust the speed. Not a ton of torque in them, low power draw, moves lots of air. Some of them are more silent then others. I also ordered some covers for them to keep little fingers from digging too deep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now... I just need some time to install them
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpayne74 View Post
Thanks for the information on the 12 volt fans. Do you already have the type and details on the 12 volt fans you would buy?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00065JM8U...3-T1-HI-4DCJUB is the one I have had my eye on, something that screws in so it wont come off over bumps etc when travelling.

Just search "12V Fan" on Amazon, there are many options. Our pantry is right next to the bunks on our model (29BHDS), and the electric panel under the pantry, so wiring it inside the pantry and bolting to the side of the pantry in the bunk areas is my rough plan. Warranty period runs out in July, then on to the "mods" ;-). We also don't have an AC in the bunk area, its about 12-18 inches outside the upper bunk, so both bunks get rather hot.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #13

mbpayne74, I just cut the foam a bit over sized and pushed it in between the studs. I just did the vertical pieces so adhesive will be needed if you add foam under the bed.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #14

I ordered this fan

I wanted one that i would be less likely to bump into getting in and out of the bunk. I had a clip on fan and knocked it off regularly.
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	46602

Name:	fan 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	46603

i also found this fan and thought about cutting out a hole in the wall for it between the dinette seat and the TV, but i was afraid i would run into a solid board or studs.

Name:	fan3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	46604
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #15

Just come camp in the CO mountains where it's 40° at night in the summer... he won't be hot :P
OdiN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #16

I was going to buy an equipment cooling fan and put a hole between the dinette area and the lower bunk. That way you can have the curtain closed and still get air circulation. It is powered by USB, which I am going to tap from the stereo area. It has a 3 speed controller, relatively quiet operation and a nicely finished look. I really expected that someone would have made a purpose built product to ventilate the bunks.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-A...ronics&sr=1-31
jim243 is offline   Reply With Quote