Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

26BH Modification

We bought used 2013 26BH and have decided to remodel the "bunk-house" room as follows:

1. Convert the bottom full size bed to single bunk, same size as top bunk. (2) Remove the curved basement wall at the rooms entrance and add a new partition wall along the inner edge of the lower bunk that would run full length of same. (3) Add a desk top/night stand for lower bunk that could also be accessed from a sitting position between the lower bunk and wall.

This would cut basement storage in half, but as it is the space is too easily cluttered. I try to stick with saying I learned from US Coast Guard patrol boat sailing,..."on a ship everything has a place, and everything should be in it's place." I'm also wondering how to secure the lower partition wall mod. frame work to the floor without putting a hole in a holding tank.

Sincerely,
kuzbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #2

Ask Jayco for drawings that show the tank locations. Not sure exactly what you are doing but when I changed the dinette to a table and chairs I glued a piece of 3/4" material to the 1/2" plywood flooring and screwed into that. Might work for your application?
Island_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

Ditto on the gluing.

We've modified out 26BH extensively. We took out the top bunk, and left the lower bunk stock, however the lower bunk failed structurally under the load of one 160lb. person sleeping on it. Go Jayco!

We rebuilt the lower bunk to a higher spec. Have considered the modification you're contemplating, but don't want to give up the storage. We got rid of the little fridge to free up space and make access better. We store stuff under there in large plastic totes, like our little Weber charcoal grill, charcoal and accessories, and another tote for the sewer hose and related items. And, coiled up hoses.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #4

Did you build anything to block the hoses and valves in the storage area under that lower bunk? I’m concerned that the stuff will shift in transit and eventually cause damage. I’ve been looking throughout the forums and Facebook but I can’t seem to locate any ideas. I want to block that area off but still make it accessible in case we need to access those valves etc. thanks!
PatrickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #5

First step, contact Jayco with your vin number and ask for the structural and plumbing drawings. Between the two, you should be able to determine how the TT is built and where the tanks are located. The existing wall structure is all really thin. The floor maybe 2" thick.

When I modified my TT, I did some snooping. I looked for various holes and screw locations. I found how thick my floor was by locating a penetration hole. The easy one for me was where the 7 pin wire harness entered the TT, That hole in the floor was about 1.5" diameter, easy to see. The floor was made of a composite ~5/8" OSB, white foam, ~5/8" OSB. For screw length, I found a screws holding a cabinet to the floor and to a wall. Removed the screw and replicated the penetration depth. Worth repeating, the walls are very very thin, you do not want to accidently drill through it.

When you remove the million staples to quickly, you can easily damage the thin panels. Go slow, if you can get to the backside, use a wide rubber mallet, and tap your way around and around. Go slow, I found once the staples start to release, continue to work your way down the panel and then come back and pop them out a little more and a little bit more. Don't work one spot to much. May take a few trips around the panel. Go fast, and the panel will fracture. You can do it from the front side with a mini pry bar, just go slow, and start in a hard to see location, same technique.

With the new bed design, you should be able to have better inside access to the storage area.

From a dealership website, it looks like your water heater is under the bed. Is there anything else under the bunk? What about plumbing? Heat ducts? power?

Good Luck, make sure to post pictures of your modification.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #6

Wow! Thank you so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply! I posted this for my husband and when he saw the reply, well he was really appreciative. We’ll definitely post what we do. Again, Thanks so much!
Laurie & Patrick
PatrickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:09 PM   #7

I screwed down a gun cabinet underneath my lower bunk, and to find a safe screw length I removed one of the heating duct diffusers from the floor and measured. I think the floor sheathing is 5/8" thick, at least on my 2011 26BH.

I've considered making changes to the bunk area, but for me the upper and lower bunk beds are great storage areas, with the mattresses removed.

Congrats on making a great mod to your TT!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote