Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

26BH Orientation Video?

My TT orientation and pick up for my new 26BH is scheduled for April 3rd!

I remember reading on here that some people record their orientation for future reference.. Would anyone be willing to post a link to their 26BH orientation video (the year doesn't matter)? I figure watching one before I go in will help me come up with more questions to ask during the orientation.

Thanks,
Dan
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

Thompson Family RV in Davenport Ia. has a good one on Youtube. They have a walk through and a orientation. Here is a link to the orientaion.

thewild59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Thanks! That video was very helpful.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #4

Well here is an OLD video I did of my 26BH...not really a good orientation, but a look around what I have done. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask -- we are all glad to help.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight=26bh+mods

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

We bought ours this time last year. When we were getting our orientation, I "secretly" filmed it. It's mostly just the audio without the camera really being pointed at anything. I was embarrassed to ask if I could film it. As helpful as it's been, regardless, I really could kick myself for not just speaking up and telling the guy I was going to film it. It's our first TT and we knew nothing! At least we camp with friends who helped us when we needed it, but our maiden voyage was alone. We had no problems. It really was a comprehensive orientation. Congratulations on your new addition! We love ours
Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #6

I didn't film, take notes, ask questions or generally even pay that much attention at the PDI...we were eager to get out of there and go camping. Because of this I missed lots of things. Many I learned by accident while reading here and I am sure there is still more I'll discover that I should have paid attention to. The Dealer did give us some Setup/Takedown/Hitching check lists at the PDI that DW read while we drove out of there that first day. These helped significantly stop the most rookie of mistakes -- and thankfully had several notes about tank maintenance we would have never guessed. However, it was the 5th trip before I learned that you need to open the outside oven exhaust vent -- we always thought the propane smell was strong when using the oven, then a friend pointed out the error and made me fell about 2' tall. :-) Wouldn't you think that the CO alarm would have gone off -- well it never did.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Reviving an old post here...

Picked up our (new to us 2013 264BH) this past weekend. Thank heavens I have spent so much time on this forum and youtube watching videos. While overall we were satisfied with the dealer the orientation left a whole lot to be desired. Now... to be honest the dealer that we purchased our TT from only deals in used trailers. (All types). They have a full service department, etc.. and have overall good reviews.

HOWEVER - Had it not been for all of my pre-work on above said videos and forums the DW and I would have been LOST... I ended up teaching him more than he taught me on how to operate the TT. In fairness he did show me where all of the drains, bypass valves, etc were.. But in actual operation, I had to show him how to do a few things.

After setting up the WDH / Anti-sway bar, I had to reposition the chains and brake away cable to operate correctly. He had the chains straight on (not crossed) which here in Texas is illegal.. All towed vehicles must have the chains crossed.. After getting the TT home we backed it up in the driveway, set the chock blocks, removed sway bars, WDH bars, etc... THEN we spend almost an hour in the dark trying to get the TT off of the hitch ball before I finally realized the ball lock lever was a slide style. I have towed boats, flat bed trailers from u-haul, home depot, etc, etc for years. I have never ever seen a hitch that you had to lift then SLIDE the ball lock back. (My ignorance here) so nobodies fault.. But I still feel it was one more failure on the dealers part to show us that..

I guess in closing, I would say to anyone who is getting ready to purchase a new TT for the first time, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Learn as much as you can about your unit, download the owners manual if you can. (I did). Watch videos, read the forum posts... and ask questions.. I am not so proud to not ask a stupid question...

We will take our new unit out next weekend for our first trial run. State campground only about 30 minutes drive away.. Easy enough to run back home if I forget something, plus it is only about 15 minutes away from Campingworld (scary)...

Thanks to everyone here for your posts, questions, answers, suggestions, stories, experiences.. We haven't even used our trailer and I already feel comfortable with it because of you guys and gals.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #8

Great intel
Thanks for sharing
+1 on doing your homework
Received lots of help from this forum and what to ask about if they don't show you (manual slide out operation)

I had to show my "instructor" a few things as well

Plus other thing not covered during my first TT Orientation...Almost appeared to be an after thought.

Have fun next weekend

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Reviving an old post here...

Picked up our (new to us 2013 264BH) this past weekend. Thank heavens I have spent so much time on this forum and youtube watching videos. While overall we were satisfied with the dealer the orientation left a whole lot to be desired. Now... to be honest the dealer that we purchased our TT from only deals in used trailers. (All types). They have a full service department, etc.. and have overall good reviews.

HOWEVER - Had it not been for all of my pre-work on above said videos and forums the DW and I would have been LOST... I ended up teaching him more than he taught me on how to operate the TT. In fairness he did show me where all of the drains, bypass valves, etc were.. But in actual operation, I had to show him how to do a few things.

After setting up the WDH / Anti-sway bar, I had to reposition the chains and brake away cable to operate correctly. He had the chains straight on (not crossed) which here in Texas is illegal.. All towed vehicles must have the chains crossed.. After getting the TT home we backed it up in the driveway, set the chock blocks, removed sway bars, WDH bars, etc... THEN we spend almost an hour in the dark trying to get the TT off of the hitch ball before I finally realized the ball lock lever was a slide style. I have towed boats, flat bed trailers from u-haul, home depot, etc, etc for years. I have never ever seen a hitch that you had to lift then SLIDE the ball lock back. (My ignorance here) so nobodies fault.. But I still feel it was one more failure on the dealers part to show us that..

I guess in closing, I would say to anyone who is getting ready to purchase a new TT for the first time, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Learn as much as you can about your unit, download the owners manual if you can. (I did). Watch videos, read the forum posts... and ask questions.. I am not so proud to not ask a stupid question...

We will take our new unit out next weekend for our first trial run. State campground only about 30 minutes drive away.. Easy enough to run back home if I forget something, plus it is only about 15 minutes away from Campingworld (scary)...

Thanks to everyone here for your posts, questions, answers, suggestions, stories, experiences.. We haven't even used our trailer and I already feel comfortable with it because of you guys and gals.
I had the same problem getting the TT off the hitch ball when we brought home our new 26BH last year. My previous pop-up had the pull up style and I eventually had to have a tech from the dealership come out to my house.. I had quite the red face when he reached down and slid the lever back. Not one of my proudest moments but at least my wife got a good laugh out of it
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Old 01-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #10

We brought an iphone, and we filmed little sections of the orientation.. like when He was showing us how to lock the slide or open the canopy. that way we didn't have to watch the whole film to find what we needed. The few things I found myself forgetting after the orientation were.. the slide lock, the awning, the furnace/fridge (what to do if the pilot is out), plus the water connection. So it was helpful to be able to go back tot he clips

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

@ lagman... Whew !!!! thanks for that post.. Glad I wasn't the only one... We pulled the TT forwards, backwards, up, down.. Jumped on the hitch several times. NOTHING would get it to come off the ball.. At least I know how secure it will be going down the road...

@Ladywendolyn... Yep, we were going to do the same thing, but once the guy started up I realized very quickly that it just wouldn't have done any good.. He was one of the repairmen in the shop so while he may know how to fix them, he was not any good at showing how to use them...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

I'm glad to hear that others had the same experience I had with our PDI and walk through. I didn't call my tech out on what he was telling me that was wrong, but I certainly kept a running tally in my head about what he was saying. It wasn't the major stuff, it was little stuff. Like he didn't know the TV has an articulating arm on the mount so it will swing out. I spent about 1/2 hour trying to get it to work before I finally found the nylon strap attached to the release. He told us to use "a couple ounces of the blue stuff" to treat our black tank, when the bottle clearly states in the instructions to use the entire bottle. He set up the L-brackets for the WDH on the tongue of the trailer at different heights. I knew that was wrong and when I questioned him about it, he said that's because the slide is on that side of the trailer and the brackets needed to be setup that way to compensate. I completely reconfigured the hitch based on the instructions from the manufacturer when I got home and fixed that little problem while I was at it. These are just the things that come to mind, I know there were other errors...

Good news is that it wasn't a total waste of time, he did have a few useful tidbits that were mostly true.

The only way I knew about all this stuff was because this forum was an integral part of my research for the 2 years I was shopping. By the time I got to the dealer, I had to teach the salesman a lot about our trailer, and I certainly didn't take anything he or the tech said to heart without doing my own research first. And I read the entire owner's manual cover to cover along with the documentation that came with all the other components.

Spending this much money on something, there's no way I was going in blind, and I feel sorry for the people who don't do their research. If I hadn't known anything and depended on the tech and salesman for all my information, we probably would have sold our trailer by now. I would much rather learn something the easy way than the hard way...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote