Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

I struggled with discomfort the first few times out camping on our mattress. We put a cheapo Wally world topper and I thought there was no way it would make any difference - I was surprised! It made the mattress tolerable. Not comfortable, but tolerable. I always get home and lay in my air chamber (sleep number knock-off) and say how much I missed my bed. It was probably a $20-$30 topper and pretty thin but really helped.

oceanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Camper_bob we have the same unit, I did upgrade the mattress to a pillow top and it was horrible, tossed and turned woke up in the morning with a sore back, my wife found a 4.5 inch foam topper form Kohls for about $150 and I get a great sleep now, the topper was a great mod :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is right on. I don't know what part of that mattress they consider "upgraded", but I can't imagine what the standard is like. That foam topper will be the best mod you'll do.

1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Camper_bob we have the same unit, I did upgrade the mattress to a pillow top and it was horrible, tossed and turned woke up in the morning with a sore back, my wife found a 4.5 inch foam topper form Kohls for about $150 and I get a great sleep now, the topper was a great mod :-)
Yup. I knew we were going to get a foam topper when we bought the trailer, but I thought we would wait a while (being that we dropped a chunk on buying the silly thing and there were other "accessories" I thought were more important). The first night on the stock "pillowtop" was absolutely horrific; shoulders, hips back, knees... All excruciating. I felt like I had just hiked the Davis Mountains the next morning.

That was the only night on the stock mattress, the topper immediately moved to the tippy top of the priority list of "accessories". Got one from Wally World and haven't looked back, it was worth every penny and then some.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote