Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Question 26BH Queen Bed "platform base"

Just got our new 2017 26BH home, and we're looking forward to using it in a few weeks. Got some questions on the plywood base of the queen bed.

It looks like 3/8" (maybe even 1/4") plywood. Seems flimsy, especially on the very edges. I'm wondering if I should get another 1/4" sheet and screw it on top, but I don't know if the little air-lifters would support that.

Anyone beef up their 26BH bed? How much weight does it support (plain), and what types of mods have you done to make it better?

Also thinking of closing off some of the storage underneath so the cold air doesn't come through and up under our bed so much.

Places we've camped:
sinclaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #2

So I don't have the same rig, but I don't imagine that the bed construction is much different. I'm a big guy and had some concerns about the bed. I added a 4" topper for comfort and used an additional sheet of 1/4" ply underneath everything. It probably wasn't needed but I had the material and it was on my mind so I went ahead and installed it.

With the additional weight of the plywood sheeting, the memory topper and the three hundred extra blankets my wife insists we need the factory lift arms still support the weight and hold the bed up. You do have to give it a little more lift to get it started and it's on the edge but strong enough that it's not going to just drop on my head if I were getting under there... which we don't do much of.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #3

So on our 28RLS I ended up putting a 2x6 across the frame where the storage goes from pass thru to under bed (I guess right about lower back to belly range). We noticed that we kept meeting in the middle of the bed at night. I finally realized the bed was sagging to the center. This gave the bed extra support without adding any weight to the top (so no extra strain on the lifters). I'm probably going to attach some luan plywood to it as well to separate the passthrough from the underbed storage (like you, to keep the cold air out from under that part of the bed.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosenuts View Post
So on our 28RLS I ended up putting a 2x6 across the frame where the storage goes from pass thru to under bed (I guess right about lower back to belly range). We noticed that we kept meeting in the middle of the bed at night. I finally realized the bed was sagging to the center. This gave the bed extra support without adding any weight to the top (so no extra strain on the lifters). I'm probably going to attach some luan plywood to it as well to separate the passthrough from the underbed storage (like you, to keep the cold air out from under that part of the bed.
I don't suppose you have a pic of what you did? If not, no worries - just curious. Thanks!

2008 Ford F-150 Supercab
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Elite)
perkioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkioman View Post
I don't suppose you have a pic of what you did? If not, no worries - just curious. Thanks!
I'll try and get one this weekend.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Site Team

They used to use 1/2'' plywood on the beds, that`s what mine has and its been fine. Sounds like they have cut it back to 3/8. If its 1/4'' that would be ridiculous.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

I have a 2011 26BH and I actually took my queen size mattress from the house off my bed and put it in my camper. It probably weighs 3 times that of the regular mattress and my bed is solid!!! But like well renowned Camper Extraordinaire CRABMAN said, the wood was thicker back then....
Old 09-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkioman View Post
Here's a pic, excuse the mess under the bed

I put a 2x2 post in the center going down, it rests on a small square of plywood to distribute the weight. I'm thinking about running a 2x4 across the bottom too and then attaching luan plywood to close it off.

Checkout my blog in my signature if you want to see my under bed insulation mod and more.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #9

I ripped out all of the support under there. I made a box out of 2x4's on each side leaving the base open. I stained them so they matched the other wood and left it open. I moved the panel from the end to the top of the bed to close off the storage area.

I also put a bunky board on top of the plywood
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote